It is day 2 of spring break and today has been a very eventful day on the mother front. I really don’t think we should be teaching children to read so soon. Today Jared and I went to Discovery Park in PG with some friends. It was a discovery alright. He comes running to me and tells me that someone has written the following inside one of the beehives: “we had sex here.” He thought sex was a swear word. He went back to playing, but on the way home when it was just the two of us he asked, “mom, what’s sex?” Ack!
I told him it was something only mom’s and dad’s do and was basically lots and lots of kissing. He said, “oh! It’s a honeymoon!” Then, since he thought it was a bad word, I focused on it not being bad but that it’s something special that you have to talk respectfully about. I asked him if his private parts were bad. He said, “no, your body needs them to get rid of extra food.” Then I asked him if we show others our private parts or if we should call other people wiener or butt. He said no. And I told him sex was the same way. I didn’t really tell him what it was. I gave him just enough information to satisfy his curiosity without giving him too many details. And hopefully I laid the foundation for the “it’s not bad but very special” thing.
Fast forward to this afternoon. His buddy Josh is over and Josh tells Jared that he knows who the Easter bunny is. Intrigued, Jared asked who it was. When Josh told him it’s your parents Jared came to question me. I tried to stay strong, but their conversation was so funny I was on the verge of laughing. When Jared asked me if I was the Easter bunny, I said no. He replied, “You’re smiling! You are the Easter bunny!!” I tried to get out of it. I said, “how would I know what to get you??” He had an answer for that too. “You got me a stuffed animal! You know I love stuffed animals!!”
Ryan and I got an email from Heart to Heart Adoptions this week. They got all our paperwork from LDSFS. They just need to do a phone interview with us and then our file will be active! Apparently we’ve already passed the screening. There is even better news. When I dropped off our paperwork I ran into Sandra, one of the girls I used to coach at Timpanogos HS. I coached her back in2003. Not only does she work there, but she works with the moms!
When she found out Ryan and I were trying to adopt she got right to work. She asked me what we wanted, how open we were to race, and what our budget is. Then she asked someone else how many black babies and biracial babies there are right now. There are 48 black babies and 25 biracial babies! I told her Ryan would be more comfortable with a biracial baby vs. a black baby b/c we’re an all white German speaking family and it might be weird to have a black kid. But maybe it wouldn’t. We’ll see what happens. I left on cloud 9. I just know Sandra will be telling the moms about us if she finds someone she thinks would be a good match. I also had this strong feeling that this wasn’t a coincidence, that it was a blessing from Heavenly Father. And I thought about all the wheels and levers running in the background that we don’t see and how far ahead HF puts things into place. I coach Sandra when she’s in HS. She graduates and the next time I see her is almost 10 years later and she’s working in an adoption agency!
She remembers me and my family. She was there before we got Jared and she was there when we got Jared. She was one of the kids who played with him a lot and who he’d crawl too. She told her friends at Heart to Heart how funny it was to see me carrying around this 11 lb baby. My runners always thought that was so funny! And they would tease me about it.
I got to spend Easter weekend with Connie. She came to UT so we could meet our mom’s new boyfriend, Lee. We met mom and Lee at Chuck-a-Rama on Sat. night and then went bowling together. Then Sunday I invited them to the house for lunch before they left for the long drive back to WA. It’s a bit weird meeting your mom’s boyfriend, checking to see if he’s worthy of your mom. Parents grow up so fast. Before you know it they’re 62 and you have to let go and let them make their own decisions. ;0)
Lee was friendly and very talkative. He told us how he and mom met and that he felt he’d finally found someone who was compatible with him. He told us he likes that mom is intelligent. We had Tammy and Jeremy on Skype Sunday. Apparently Jeremy has been teasing mom, asking her if she’s kissed Lee yet. So she kissed Lee in front of Jeremy, who made such a horrified face and said, “oh, Ann!” It was funny. I have no idea if Lee is “the one”, but I can say that mom seems very happy with him and he with her.
Connie and I got to have a sleepover on the couch Friday night. We stayed up quite late talking in true sleepover fashion. Jared thought Tante Connie was just the funniest person ever. He told me we should also go to the airport to pick up Tante Tammy. Because it’s just that easy. If only!
I’ll leave you with Jared’s most sincere prayer of the week, “Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for whoever invited video games……………….”
Love,
Sherry, Ryan, and Jared
No comments:
Post a Comment