Friday, November 16, 2012

Elections, Recital, Duet, Snow Blower!

Dear Family,

When I told Megumi the other day that the family letter was due soon she replied, “Great! Go for it!” I don’t know if she was expressing support and encouragement or saying that she didn’t have time and that I should write it. It was probably a little of both so I’ll get crackin’ (now what to write since I’m seldom home …).

The big news for me is how excited I am about the election results! I mean, four more years with a president and his circle lying, cheating, stealing and ignoring the Constitution will just keep me on my toes. I do feel pretty good, however, about not getting caught up in all the nastiness of the election. From putting Obama signs in neighbors’ yard to John and I actually driving around with Obama signs on our cars, I thought we really ‘reached across the aisle’ … I just didn’t think people would actually vote for economic destruction and the absence of responsibility, justice, and liberty. I know not everyone shares my political leanings … but if you pay attention to words and actions going forward, you will see that America will change, but not for the better – not back to adhering to the principles revealed by God and the strength of the past … but to becoming just another weak nation with leaders

Condemning the righteous because of their righteousness; letting the guilty and the wicked go unpunished because of their money; and moreover to be held in office at the head of government, to rule and do according to their wills, that they might get gain and glory of the world…

Since Tuesday I have heard a few comments about how it good that Romney didn’t win for this reason or that reason (nothing to do with his policies, however). But I don’t think it is ever a good thing when the voice of the people chooses evil. While his words are not official church doctrine, I did like what Ruth passed on from Bro. Nibley: “It is not our business to tear down the old set---the agencies that do that are already hard at work and very efficient---the set is coming down all around us with spectacular effect. Our business is to see to it that the new set is well on the way for what is to come---and that means a different kind of politics, beyond the scope of the tragedy that is now playing its closing night. We are preparing for the establishment of Zion.” Thank you, Chris, and any others who worked in any capacity on the election. Many people even here in Canada don’t get why we think it is so important. In their experience they tell me that people change but the government never does. I’m glad we (Americans) actually think we can make a difference. All right, now I’ve vented. For anyone coming to our home for Thanksgiving, I promise it will be completely out of my system … except the Obama/Biden clay pigeons I’ve ordered.

I don’t know how she does it, but even without me to take care, Megumi continues to find ways to keep herself busy. She is amazing but worries too much about her gray hair. She is looking for a new car, just got a new (her first) cell phone, goes above and beyond in her new Activity Days calling, and sewed Halloween costumes for the twins. Marianne and Thomas were Thing 1 and Thing 2 (Cat in the Hat) and trick-or-treated together. Lillian was in a Japanese kimono and took Hannah-the-clown around. All of them got way too much candy. I have a feeling that Megumi is squirreling it away to use next summer in birthday piñatas, as usual.

Lillian and her students held a recital at the senior citizens’ center for the group and I was really proud of her. It was planned well, she was poised, and the kids did well. Carole was kind enough to accompany some of the kids on the piano while they (including Marianne and Lillian) played the violin. This whole teaching piano and violin lessons was not something I reluctantly supported (gotta stay married!) but it has been good for Lillian in many ways and she is good at it.

Thomas and Marianne sang a duet again in Primary and did a great job. Marianne enjoys it thoroughly and TJ is realizing that speaking /performing in front of a large audience is not as life threatening as he once thought. Marianne also sang Amazing Grace at Lillian’s recital and Thomas sang The Trailbuilders’ Hymn with another boy. Thomas is a very good singer but had trouble keeping up with his partner who was singing a totally unknown harmony. Both Thomas and Marianne are the gymnasts in the family. Marianne is so close with the splits while TJ does tumbles and headstands all day long.

Hannah is still a challenge ... but if I stand back and look objectively I believe she is making progress. She is unkind less, runs away less, puts up less of a fight about going to school, takes less time to eat, and complains less. This is one of those “less is better” months. She gives great back tickles but insists on being paid. Hannah is great at drawing and always willing to go somewhere with Dad whether it is Canada, Japan or just smelly Las Vegas.

Well, apparently it snowed at home yesterday. Thank heaven we have a new snow blower (thanks, Bruce!). I will have to show Megumi how to use it when I am home for Thanksgiving next week. I am so thankful for each and every one of you, for the gospel, and for the Savior. These are the anchors of my life. I watch as others get tossed to and fro with which way the political winds blow or other tragedies in their lives. With a wonderful family like ours and a testimony of Christ*, we realize that these hardships** really are just bumps in the road. Oh, how we love each of you!

Love,
David, Megumi, Lillian, the Wonder Twins, and Hannah

*and perhaps a bunker full of food, guns, and ammunition
**including Obama

No comments:

Post a Comment