Thursday, August 15, 2013

Goodbye Japan, Hello Virginia, Reservist, Deacon?, Potions?

Dear Family,

I have not yet read this month's family letters--I made myself a vow not to read them until after I had written our contribution. No doubt many of you have wondered about the promise I made in January to be a more frequent or regular contributor, although two letters in one year might be considered a fulfillment of that promise.... Nevertheless (fun word that doesn't come up in ordinary conversation often enough), on our drive to the temple last weekend, Kaylyn and I sketched out some notes for our update, and it is my responsibility to add some meat to the bones.

First, an update on where we are now. We have not done very well publicizing our recent moves, both in terms of residence and career choices, so here's the nitty gritty. In May we left Japan at the end of our three-year assignment and spent several weeks making our way across country (from west to east) back to Chesapeake, VA where we now live again. In mid-June I started working for the Coast Guard full-time as a civilian attorney. My last day on active duty military duty was 30 Jun and I am now a Coast Guard reservist (most recently they tell me I'm assigned to an office in Washington DC, but my assignment has changed from Seattle, WA to Boston, MA to DC in the past few months, so I'm waiting to see the official paperwork).

We are all happy to live near the beach again and are excited make new friends, but we miss Japan, too. The other day Kaylyn was saying a few words in Japanese to the girls and Eliza said "Mom, we don't need that anymore" or something like that. We're happy to be back in an area that feels so right for our family, but disappointed that we are so far away from siblings and parents. We know that we have extended family out this way or that come through on vacation or business, so please stop in and say hello or stay for a few days--we have plenty of room!

Now for an update on the kids. Samuel turned 12 the day we finished our drive to VA--bummer of a way to spend a birthday. Especially since he wasn't feeling to well when we took him out for his birthday dinner so he didn't even get to enjoy the dessert. But we hope that his ordination as a deacon made up for it the following Sunday. Kaylyn's parents were unable to join us, but my folks were there, and he knew some of the deacons from when we lived here before. He easily integrated into the scout troop, and on the first campout, he and his partner were the winners of the impromptu canoe race. When he returned home he told us that "we should by a canoe." We also had requests for a trampoline and a drum kit this summer, so whether this was a passing fancy, we're not sure. Samuel has really stepped up since turning 12. He's always been a willing helper, sometimes being a bit like me and being too quick to inject himself in helping others to correct their problems, but we are grateful for his kind obedience. We are also happy that he is old enough to watch his siblings when we need to run errands or need a date--his brothers and sisters much prefer his "babysitting" to someone else.

William hasn't had as much opportunity to hang out with friends outside of our family as Sam, so he's made good friends with Howie and the girls. He often plays with them, particularly the crafty things that the younger kids are pretty into these days. William has a need to mix things--he's constantly taking solids and liquids and making "potions" and other weird concoctions that we find in strange containers in strange places. We've tried to channel these desires into the kitchen with appropriate supervision, and found that he is really good at cooking and he enjoys it. Were hoping that sometime soon uncle Rob will host a culinary camp for a week (or the summer?) so we can send William to learn from a master.

Howie is constantly lost in his lego land or something else he's building. It can be hard to pull him away for basic needs, like eating. (Oddly enough, this child also doesn't enjoy desserts as much as the rest of us.) But Howie is a very sensitive child, and is very aware of his sisters needs. Howie is good at recognizing when one of the girls needs cheering up and then doing something about it. Sometimes the play gets a little too rough, but his intentions are always good. A few days ago at a petting zoo at the city library, Howie took Eliza -- who is deathly afraid of touching unfamiliar animals -- around to each animal and helped her feel confident enough to briefly pet the animals.

Eliza starts school this fall. She continues to be very reserved like her mom, and can be perceived as shy (I think it's more uncomfortability and cautiousness). But she says "I'm not going to be shy at school," and we believe it. She pretty much does whatever she decides she's going to do. She decided one day that she was going to learn to read, so she taught herself the alphabet, brought us book and asked us to help her, and then practiced a lot on her own. During scriptures she no longer repeats back what we say, but reads the verses herself, needing help only for unfamiliar spellings. She's a joy to have around, most days greeting me when I get home from work with a big hug.

Eden does not want to be the baby anymore. I keep explaining to her that as long as she's the youngest child, she will always be my baby, even when she's old, but that doesn't appease her. She's figured out that being a big girl means all kinds of cool stuff, whatever that might be. We're trying to use it to our advantage with the "big girls set the table without help" and "big girls sleep in the own bed" and other stuff. She wants to go to school right now like Eliza and asks us regularly when she will be big enough. Kaylyn asked her who would stay home with her during the day if Eden went to school and Eden said: "you will be all right, Mom." But she also likes to play the "I'm little so I need help" game with us, too. I like the little girl that gives me kisses and hugs nearly anytime I ask for them. If that's what it means to be my baby, then I don't want her to grow up.

Finally, Kaylyn still has the luxury of keeping our home running smoothly without outside employment concerns. I feel like such a louse sometimes because I often feel like all I do to contribute to the success of our family is go to work to bring home a paycheck and occasionally boss the kids around. She's pretty much the glue that keeps everything running. If it were up to me, the kids would be foraging for berries in the neighbors' yards and wearing gunny sacks (where they would get them is still a mystery) with Samuel leading the way to get the kids to school and do their homework. I am amazed at how much she does and how involved she is with the kids. No wonder she's often tired! And despite this, she continues a relationship with the Air Force dental program that she started in Japan. Long story shorter: they're trying to convince one of her wisdom teeth to become a molar. So far, no success, but we haven't given up quite yet.

Well, I am late for dinner, so I had better sign off. Now that I have written this, I am excited to read about everyone's adventures. Until next time...!

Love,
Adam, Kaylyn & family

No comments:

Post a Comment