Thursday, September 19, 2013

Auctions, Hallmark Trucks, Porch Stairs, Temple!

My Dear Family,

I am so humbled by the love that I received for my birthday. It was a smorgasbord of love that just kept on giving. Thank you, thank you, for making me feel loved and special.

I have discovered auctions here in Connecticut. I go but bid so low that I don’t get anything. However, last Thursday, I don’t know what got into me, but I bid on a guitar and got it. I’m sure it is not worth much but for some reason I have been pining for one since mine was broken in New Jersey. I cannot remember which Elder gave it to me in my teens; I just know that I played it a bit and wrote some cheesy songs with it. Then one day when our family came home from vacation, it was lying on my floor in my bedroom with a broken neck. I kept thinking that maybe the cat knocked it down from the chair that it was propped in in front of my window. (The bedroom window went directly out to the front porch as the room was in the basement.) As I thought about it, I became more sure that Casey White had gotten into our house via that window while we were gone, knocked it over and would not confess to the crime. Ever since then I have foolishly longed for a guitar though I doubt I can play it any more. I guess it is better than buying a new car or getting a new husband (my old one will do just fine, thank you very much). Sometimes we just need to relive our “glory days” just to see that they were less glorious than imagined or that the interest has definitely waned. I am so surprised at myself that I have not even opened the case since being home.

Emma spends her nights loading trucks for Hallmark. She works from 3:30 pm until midnight, comes home and passes out, and then repeats it all week. I cannot imagine that this job will last much longer. They are shipping out Christmas merchandise. I don’t know what else will be in store for her. I just know that jobs are ridiculous to get here. She still works at the auto auction Wednesday mornings and loves it. I asked her how I would do at that job and she assured me that I would have to be a faster worker than I am now, and besides, the men are terrible flirts. I could not help but smile.

Bob has been so kind to build me some stairs off the side of my front porch. I don’t know why the builder didn’t do it. Bob had to build them twice because his sweet wife (me! It’s all about me!) thought they should be wider. You know we old people; make them wide enough that we can’t miss them. We are not so fleet of foot any more. And they look great! Thank you, Bob. Then late Saturday night he thinks our coat closet needs a light in it. By 3:00 am he had it installed and the first coat of mud in place. I always wondered why the builder put no light in there. What a pleasure! Bob also ordered me a new vacuum hose. Sounds like a silly thing, but the hose that came with the house has no switch on the handle to turn it off. You have to walk over to the wall and unplug the darn thing to get some peace and quiet. Rather inconvenient I would way when a person just wants to move a chair or can hear someone calling them and would like to hear their words. I can hardly wait. Three years of obnoxiousness is enough.

Not a great month for stories, but after last month, I’m okay with that. I’m still living on my summer memories of fun with each and every one. Watching Reid’s video of the last evening we had together, keeps the good times fresh in my mind. Love you all. Jesus is the Christ and God is in His Heaven. And WE are getting a temple. Once they dedicate the land, the building can’t be too far away.

Love,
Bob, Ruth and Emma Jane-Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment