Dear Family,
Since it is February 10th, I guess that means it is time to write my November 2014 family letter. Although old news, I did want to mention a few happenings over the last few months that I failed to share.
In November, I (Dave) finished up my work in Canada and have turned my attention to other projects as well as trying to catch up a little bit on what Megumi and the kids are up to. I came home in time for a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner at the Bingham’s in Bountiful. The food was fabulous but, of course, the company was better. Jean and Bruce are always so generous to open their home and my kids love to go there. It was also great to catch up with Chris, Olesia, and their little family. And just when I thought I knew Bruce, I learned more about him. I knew he was active and always busy doing good but did not know what a dare devil he is. In an effort to get some holiday decorations up he was prancing around on the roof and climbing extremely tall ladders that were propped up at an 85° angle by nothing but bushes at the edge of a “cliff”. Chris and I were horrified … but I’ll never call Bruce “chicken”. It was also nice to get to see JC, Beki, and their crew up in Heber as they came back home for the holiday. We went on a nice hike and played some games.
December was great … because it was December. I didn’t get any lights put up outside but really enjoyed the holiday music and events because I had taken the month off. It got a little more hectic (and less enjoyable) the closer it came Christmas because we had decided that we would make all the gifts that we would give to our immediate family – a lot of late nights and cracking the whip … not quite the feel good gifts of love that I had planned and imagined. But, on Christmas morning I was impressed and appreciated the efforts that had gone into pillows with personalized messages, Christmas stockings, scarves, necklaces, bath fizzies, pajamas, bed warmers, stuffed animals, gift certificates, and other things that were made. Of course the best part of the month was the feelings that came as we listened to music and talks about the Savior; fixed our thoughts more firmly on His birth, sacrifice, and love for us; and spent time with family. It was great to catch up a little with Dave and Nicole while they were visiting John and Carole. Thomas loved hanging with Jesiah and the kids had a ball being pulled on a tube behind John’s ATV. That brings us to the wonderful occasion of Dane’s and Camille’s wedding. What a wonderful day to share with them and those of the family that could be there. And gorging on popcorn at a showing of Frozen with many in the family on the way home was a nice way to stretch out the family time. Oh, I forgot, Carole and I got to go see Bob in Spanish Fork to help clean out his home. We started putting things in boxes but much to Carole’s and my surprise, there was someone still living there. It was a fun project that we were able to join in again in January. Hopefully Bob will share some of the excitement.
January brought another opportunity to be with those of the family here locally. Lillian played the violin with the Utah Youth Symphony Orchestra at the Tabernacle on Temple Square on January 24th. It was so nice to have so much family there. Flora, Jean, Bruce, Curt, Susan, Carole, Jean Marie, and a “friend” were there with us to support Lillian. How thankful I am for family near and far, that loves us and sacrifices time and resources to support and encourage my children. Thanks! Regarding Jean Marie’s friend … I know nothing about him except he was extremely kind. But with all the tattoos and body piercings he wasn’t someone I would have imagined for her (Jean Marie – I hope you will set the record straight!). After the concert, Jean and Bruce were again generous enough to let us stay in their home since we had a Suzuki piano event the next morning in Salt Lake City for Hannah. It was so nice not to have to drive home and back … and Jean always has ice cream J.
Now it is just normal life. Spencer, Thomas, and I answered the call to duty by Gov. Herbert regarding our state coyote problem, but returned empty handed except for a picture of a deceased animal that someone beat us to. But it was absolutely fabulous to see Spencer, Heather, and Maximus. My kids love their cousins and adore Max. Tonight I returned from a wonderful dance recital courtesy of Hannah. Marianne and Hannah have been practicing with a theater group to present Robin Hood in the near future. Thomas has been playing basketball and loving his karate sessions. Lillian has kept her nose to the grindstone practicing the piano and violin and keeping her grades up. She was invited to go on a performing tour to New Zealand with David Hatch and a few of the students in June. Given her age and the makeup of the group I will have to send a chaperon. Hence, Lillian has also added fundraising activities to her busy schedule. She is supposed to pay her own way and the chaperon will be my matching portion (unless any of you aunts are just dying to go to New Zealand with her). She has been selling homemade cookie dough, pendants, and trying to play the violin or piano at some local restaurants for pay/tips. As I am sure many of you have experienced, it is turning out to be a lot more work for Megumi and I than it is for her. Megumi has made herself the busiest mom I know by allowing (and supporting) her kids to do so many things and also going above and beyond serving the Activity Day girls. Megumi and I celebrated our 19th anniversary on February 3rd and planned to spend a little time alone after a family dinner. Megumi thought we were going out after the kids went to bed but after she grabbed her coat I took her downstairs where I had set up a massage table borrowed from Carole. Of course the kids weren’t in bed and when they discovered the plan hung around to help give Megumi a massage. After an enjoyable evening we all went to bed EARLY.
What fun it was to hear about Ann’s engagement. I look forward to heading up to Washington in June with the rest of the siblings to “give her away.” Our hearts swell and sink as we hear of exciting news as well as challenges experienced by our nieces and nephews. Please know that we love each of you and CONTINUE to think of you often and include you in our prayers. We look forward to the reunion next year and being able to see those of you who have committed to be there.
We love you!
David, Megumi, Lillian, Marianne, Thomas, & Hannah
No comments:
Post a Comment