Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Paulettte's Mission, Early High School Graduation, 17 Merit Badges

Dear Family,

We look forward to reading your letters, and it’s late on the night before the family letters (extended) due date. It’s a familiar feeling, but not quite as familiar as missing it altogether. We enjoyed a pleasant spring the last few weeks, and are not looking forward to the fiery summer. Well, the kids are probably looking forward to that since school will be out, but it does get hot and I tend to forget about the mild winter. Three weeks after General Conference, we enjoyed a wonderful stake conference on the topic “hastening the work” (I’m guessing each of you will also). The biggest thing to happen in our family is Paulette leaving on her mission on April 23rd. She’s at the MTC in Mexico City for a total of 6 weeks before heading to the Phoenix, AZ mission to work with Spanish-speaking people. Last Wednesday she sent us a good e-mail with a more details, which I’ll attach to the end of this letter, rather than try to summarize in my own words. We also had the opportunity to talk with her by phone yesterday since it was Mothers’ Day. We’re excited for her to be serving a mission, and hope this will be a motivating influence on those of us at home to raise the bar on our missionary efforts.

Angie and Marina recently sang with the Voices of Flower Mound community choir in their spring concert, along with Angie’s brother Alex and some members of our ward. The program was a fun mix, and Grant and I enjoyed watching Marina and Angie shine. I’m glad Marina allowed herself to be talked into joining that choir. Speaking of allowing herself to be talked into things, Marina will be taking 2 courses over the summer (in addition to working part time at the Community Activity Center), to qualify herself for early high school graduation! This will put herself in a similar position that Paulette was in, and give her some options for next year like working part-time and/or taking some courses at the local community college. After next year, she would like to attend BYU with the rest of class goes after high school. Marina has been busy studying and taking two AP exams recently.

Grant has been busy with piano lessons, scouts, school and taking care of Penny (the dog). Grant has earned 17 merit badges, only 4 shy of the number required for the rank of Eagle. Hopefully he’ll want to get a few more to experience a few more things and earn an Eagle Palm or two. Grant went with his troop on a fun campout a couple weekends ago, and this coming Friday he and I will attend our Stake’s Aaronic Priesthood commemoration campout (formerly “fathers and sons”). There’s a nice place about an hour from here called the “piney woods” in the LBJ Grasslands (I’d be happier with fewer things named “LBJ”). Anyway, sure glad I bought a heavy duty cot a couple years ago for Scout camp.

Well, I know this is short, but it’s getting late so better wrap it up and get this in. I’m looking forward to seeing some of you up in Kennewick, WA in a few weeks for Ann and Lee’s wedding. We’re excited for them and glad to be there to share the occasion with them. Later this summer we’re tentatively planning to visit Angie’s parents in Montana. We miss you all, and are so grateful to be in your family. Thanks for being such great examples for us, and for sharing what’s happening in your lives.

We love you,
Rob, Angie, Marina, and Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment