Dear Family,
Anyone else have big news I've missed? Even little news is fun to hear; that's why I so enjoy your letters; even if there are no "big deals" going on, it is wonderful to feel a close connection to you all.
As far as Flora's request, I'm not keen on sending our letters out to the world; will be less I can share with you all, that's for sure, if there is the possibility that something will get posted to facebook, etc. If it were up to me, I'd rather let Flora report what she wants to to Aunt Janet and anyone else rather than send the "originals" to a wider audience. But that's only one opinion.
As you've no doubt read in the local paper or seen on LDS.org, I fulfilled my assignment at the UN this past week. I was grateful that Public Affairs actually wrote the speech; all I had to do was edit and give it without stumbling--which I didn't actually accomplish, but at least I got through it with a minimum of glitches. It was actually an uplifting experience, because each of the other panelists were truly good people who are trying to help others in meaningful ways. It was also fun to visit a small ward in Jersey City (where Sooz and Dave lived for a summer) who have "adopted" some local Syrian refugees and who hosted us for dinner one night, and then to speak to a stake group in Newark. It reminded me of some of the wonderful memories from our family's years in New Jersey. Can't believe it has been more than 50 years since we moved there from Minnesota! Wish we were all together so I could hear your memories of that time in our lives; each would probably be somewhat different depending on your "generation." Next time we get together we need to set an audio recorder in the middle of the group so we can keep a record of the memories we share with each other.
Unlike most of you, I'm not cleaning out closets--not even doing much house cleaning in general!--but am spending a lot of time writing talks and responding to email and attending meetings. My world has shrunk, in one way, and expanded in others, so please keep me apprised of events in your world, and don't think for a minute that I'm too busy to care! We so love and appreciate and admire who you are, and I agree with Ruth: Mom and Dad are aware of us and cheering us on in our desires to do good and be good. How grateful I am for their wonderful albeit imperfect examples--gives me hope that I can have a similar good influence on my children and grandchildren.
Love you truly, each and all; you are the support that grounds me. Hope to see every one of you sometime, somewhere this year!
Jean (& Bruce)
No comments:
Post a Comment