I'm not sure what has occurred since the last time I posted, but I wanted to give my two cents of a hello. We spent Thanksgiving with a neighbor family of ours. It was enjoyable. The kids were glad to be with their friends and we were glad to be invited. That Saturday we picked out a Christmas tree and made a quick stop at Home Depot for a few strips of sod. When we got home, Joseph took the sod out back and laid it in the yard!!!! Now, a few weeks before we tried to plant grass from seed. We watered it heavily for a few days and then got a little lazy and watered it lightly for a couple weeks. Obviously no results and we decided to try a few pieces of sod to see if we could get it to grow.
So, after the grass was in place we set to decorating the tree. I tried to get into the moment emotionally as I handed out ornaments for the kids to hang up. It wasn't the beautiful experience I remember when I was younger. Mom would carefully unwrap the decorations (she was the only one allowed in the Christmas boxes) and we would take one by one until the tree and house looked festive.
Well, our brief decorating moment was more like trying to keep kids' hands out of the boxes, grabbing the fragile ornaments back from the kids and then handing them to Joseph to put up high, prying the ceramic nativity from little hands to put up high, refusing to put on the "new" Christmas movies that had been packed away all year long...I guess it all came together in the end.
The house looks festive and the tree (a little bare), but beautiful none the less. Joseph did a nice job with our 2 strings of lights on the tree. And our first ever star!! And grass!!! It may seem silly, but we have a 2 foot by 15 foot strip of grass in the backyard. It makes me so happy to look at it every morning when I open the blinds. After the tree was done, I made everyone go in the backyard with me to put our bare feet on OUR grass. It was a little prickly, but exciting.
Have a very Merry Christmas. Love, AMY and family
No comments:
Post a Comment