Dear Family,
Life lately has had a lot of ups and downs which makes me think often of 'Winnie the Pooh's Blustery Day' ... "oh, bother" and "d,d,d,d-dear" and "oh, my". Seems to express things adequately when your only options are to put your head down and face the wind.
Curt has been doing a fun thing with Amy's kids. He has been giving weekly art lessons to Lydia. He started with Isaac and then Lydia asked if he would teach her. Curt set up a special camera and lighting to do a virtual class since they are in Arizona. They have had a lot of fun with it and Curt has gotten pretty creative. (He only does this for his grandchildren...sorry)
April passed her CNA exams with flying colors. She is glad she took the class because she is very certain she does NOT want to do that kind of work. She and Marie are practicing for a clarinet and piano duet for Sacrament Mtg. next week. April is nearly bonkers with waiting to find out if BYU Provo is going to accept her for next fall.
Abby has been working for America First Credit Union as a phone teller. She was extremely fortunate to receive a 40 hr. job that pays well. She gets to dress up in professional clothes even though she says no one ever sees her since the customers she helps are on the phone. She has gotten pretty good at sounding helpful, compassionate in their distress and being able to resolve their problems.
I am still enjoying my job. The other week we had a group from Washington come and do some training. They were helping us think outside the box when it comes to training adults with disabilities. Sometimes when I am coaching a new client starting a new job I need to think of ways to teach tasks, or make a jig to simplify or modify so that the person can get the job done.
One of my favorite training activities was when we were putting together airplanes with legos ... only they had given us some 'disabilities'. On one hand I had a work glove with two of the fingers taped together, my other arm was strapped to my chest with a bungee cord to limit my reach and then I had a set of earphones that was playing random voices talking, simulating schizophrenia. I found myself having to concentrate really hard to be able to assemble the planes. I wasn't into it too long before I began answering some of the talking voices which were demanding responses. That is a hard thing to ignore. I actually do job coach a delightful young man with schizophrenia. He really has a hard time when he is using a back pack vacuum because of the extra noise and the voices in his head seem to get louder. We took him off vacuuming and gave him other things to do.
Curt, April and I have been looking forward to April's 'senior' trip to Mexico in early March. We were excited to find out that Grandma Barrus and her sister will be on the same trip. We will try to not ruin her 'sister' time but it will be fun to be able to share such a memorable experience.
Can't think of anything else to report on. I have been thinking lately about how very grateful I am for the commandments. The Lord's commandments have kept me free from so many of the world's heart aches and sorrows. What a marvelous blessing.
Love to each and every one of you. I wish we had a whole Barrus reunion this year. I miss everyone from Adam clear through to Hannah.
Love,
Aunt Susan and Uncle Curt
No comments:
Post a Comment