Monday, July 16, 2012

Turning 60, John Deere, Shingles, Expecting?

Dear family,

So if I’m a day (or more) late and a dollar short, can I still receive the family letters? Ruth, you have such patience with us foot-draggers and well-intentioned ones!

June went by so fast I have to look back at the calendar to even see what and where and when. I do remember turning 60, and chuckling to myself as I thought about Bruce’s dad’s comment when I asked him on our last visit how he was doing: “Well, you know, I’m beginning to feel old age creeping up on me!” At his age of 95, I’d say that’s doing pretty well, and I refuse to let old age “creep up” on me either!

Our trip to Illinois to spend Father’s Day weekend with Bruce’s father was squeezed into the middle of the month. We had a great time taking him to a small antique car and motorcycle show held at the boyhood home of Ronald Reagan in Dixon, IL. As we toured the home, we were struck with the humble beginnings of this former president, and how “ordinary” he was in many respects, and marveled to see how the Lord led him from one place to another as he was an instrument for good. He certainly wasn’t perfect, but it was inspiring to notice that he was never shy to mention faith in God as the basis for his moral values, giving credit to Him for any good that may be accomplished.

On the way home we toured the original John Deere homestead and blacksmith shop where Mr. Deere devised the first self-cleaning plow, making it possible for the settlers to turn the thick prairie sod into rich farmland in record time. It was interesting to note that John Deere was a contemporary of Joseph Smith: he was born in 1804 in Vermont, completed his blacksmithing apprenticeship in 1825, and created the first smooth steel plow in 1837 in Grand Detour, IL. I’ve read that his development of the self-scouring (cleaning) plow enabled the mass expansion of settlers to the Midwest and beyond, as well as increased the amount of food that could be produced to support that expansion. Along with so many other “inventions” of that time period, to me it is a further demonstration of the Lord’s light filling the earth with the beginning of the “last dispensation.” It is truly amazing how the Lord works to bring to pass His purposes!

The day we flew into Chicago, Bruce was feeling a bit of a deep, nagging headache and red spots had broken out in his hair on one side of his head, behind and in front of one ear, and under his chin. I was concerned that whatever it was looked to be spreading, but the “rash” didn’t appear to be something like ringworm or eczema or rosacea. When we finally found an open medical clinic, the doctor took one look at Bruce and asked, “Have you ever had chickenpox?” Turns out he had shingles, and was blessed to get started on anti-viral medication right away. Gratefully, the eye drops forestalled any involvement there, and all the sores disappeared within a week. While I was in the pharmacy picking up his prescriptions, I had time to get a shingles vaccination to hopefully prevent a personal “attack.” I guess that’s one “perk” of turning 60!

At the end of June Bruce and I were invited to Topsail Island, NC to spend a relaxing week with the Christensen family. We loved walking on the beach, swimming in the waves, and digging in the sand with the children, sharing their delighted discoveries and wave-riding triumphs. Besides eating lots of fabulous food, playing games and morning exercise, I counted the week successful in that not one of us got sunburned. Yaay!

To keep you up-to-date on other happy news, Olesia is expecting Girl #2 in November. She has had surgery to sew her cervix closed and is on bed rest in the hopes that this baby will be born when she is fully developed rather than sooner. Sasha, Natalia’s husband, just received his US citizenship, so Natalia can stop working outside the home and begin her “career” as a full-time mother with their three small ones. She is very excited.

We look forward to hearing from more of you in the next months, and send our love and encouragement and admiration for all the good you are doing where ever you live. Thanks for being good parents, loving spouses, stalwart examples of service in your callings and caring neighbors and friends. Those in your circles of influence are blessed by all you do and are!

Love,
(Aunt) Jean & (Uncle) Bruce

1 comment: