Ever get so far behind in your journal that you feel like there’s so much to catch up on you it feels like a burden to even think about writing? And then you consider starting fresh and you realize you simply can’t write anything new until you’ve covered the old? I think I’m at that point with my family letters this month. So I’ll just sum up. : )
The biggest thing that happened in Dec was that Jared had his appendix removed. He started off with an upper respiratory infection that started just before the start of Christmas break. He had a fever of 101 that, a croupy cough, and a really bad sore throat. The doctor said it was a virus that was going around and that everything should clear up in about 4 to 5 days. Sure enough, 4 days later everything went away. Just like that. Whew! Boy was I glad that was over (I’m sure Jared was glad too).
The next day he threw up ALL day. He couldn’t keep anything down, his fever came back, and he was in so much pain. I called the doctor and the nurse said it sounded like he’d gotten a stomach bug on top of the upper respiratory thing. She said to bring him in if it didn’t improve by the next day. It didn’t improve. Ryan slept with Jared that night and he said Jared spent the whole day saying, “ow…ow….ow…ow…” He tagged me for my turn in the morning and when I came him I could tell this was not just a stomach bug. He was laying so still and told me his waist hurt. I called Tammy and asked her how to tell the difference between a stomach bug and appendicitis, she told me to poke his side (which he hated), lift his leg (which he also hated), and then she talked to him and asked him what kind of hurt he was feeling.
After that we went to the Urgent Care doctor who sent us to radiology at the hospital for a cat scan who sent us to a special waiting room where we met with the on call surgeon. It was appendicitis, hadn’t ruptured, and they had to take it out. They took Jared to surgery, took it out, brought him back, he slept for a couple hours, and then we were on our way home. It was a crazy day. Thank goodness Ryan hadn’t left for work yet so he was with us the whole day. He carried Jared everywhere until we got the hospital and someone gave him a wheelchair. Jared had his appendix removed the 1st day of Christmas break. And he made out like a bandit! The nurses gave him all kinds of toys, a blanket, and even let him take his hospital pillow home.
By Christmas he was feeling much better and we had a great time together, just the 3 of us. Jared still believes in Santa (yay!) despite some heavy opposition at school. His letter to Santa was really sweet: dear sant please can I have all these things below: I want : lego starwars set, 200 pokemon cards, the whole seires of the trash pack (seires 1,2, 3,) the rest you can chose. but no any thing girly. P.s. make sure you eat and drink the milk and cookis.
We went to Leslie’s house for New Year’s Eve and next thing you know Jared’s back at school and everyday life as resumed. Since then I got my 1st taste of piano practice rebellion. Oh my. We had an afternoon where piano practice was not harmonious. Jared threw the all the clichés at me. “You’re the worst mom ever!” “Tonight I’m running away from home!” I said that was nice, now would you please play these 4 notes again? When the clichés didn’t work he told me, “this is illegal! You’re treating me like a slave, forcing me to do things!” And that’s when I busted out laughing! I couldn’t help myself, he was just so ridiculous already and then to hear him keep repeating that me making him practice piano was illegal was just too much.
I told Ryan all about it and later tonight he talked to Jared about it. He told Jared that he’d heard there was some discord over piano practice today and asked him to tell him about it. And what did Jared start with? “What she did was illegal!!” I was eavesdropping in the hall and had to stifle more laughter. Ryan asked Jared how I reacted to that and Jared told him, “oh it was fine. She just laughed.” I had to explain later why I was laughing.
But I have to say piano practice ended on a happy note. Jared got so riled up he was crying and couldn’t calm down (not good). I suggested he take a break and said, “why don’t you go up to your room and…” “you’re sending me to my room?!? Why?? I don’t need a time out!” Oh dear. So I said, “No. I’m not sending you to time out. I can just see that you’re having a really hard time calming down. Why don’t you take a minute to go up to your room and say a prayer and ask Heavenly Father to help you calm down. Then take some private time to calm down and when you feel better come back down and we can work on this song.” He said he didn’t need a break and didn’t want to pray. I said that was fine, it was just an idea. He tried playing the song again and then got so frustrated. Finally he stopped and said, “I think I need to go to my room and say a prayer to help me calm down.”
He went upstairs, he prayed, he cried a little more, and then he started to calm down. Once I could hear he was calming down I sat down at the keyboard and started playing the song he was having so much trouble with. After I’d played it through a few times he came down curious and asked me what I was playing. I told him it was Red Drum and he was surprised. He didn’t know the song that was so hard sounded kinda pretty. And wouldn’t you know it. Once he’d calmed down and had listened to me play it, he was able to play it himself. : ) And after that I was able to talk to him about it being ok to not be able to do something right off the bat and the importance of letting someone else help you when something’s really hard.
Today we celebrated Jared’s 8th birthday. He wanted a party at home this year, on his actual birthday, and he wanted to blow out his candles at the exact time he was born (4:24 p.m.). So we did it all. We had his friends over after school, played some Lego games, sang to him, he blew out his candles right on time, he opened presents, played with his friends some more, and at the end of the day declared that this was the greatest day ever. Hard to believe in 2 days he starts Cub scouts and that next month he’ll be baptized.
Connie, the kids, and I got to visit Grandma last month on a day off from school. Her new house is beautiful (we finally got to see it) and the basement that David’s finishing for her looks wonderful. I thought it was interesting to go in and the house smelled the same to me as her and Grandpa’s old house. But in a good way. : ) Grandma must’ve brought the same love with her to her new house. It was all new and familiar and welcoming all at the same time. Right down to the nice smell I always associate with Grandma and Grandpa’s house. Connie and I had a nice visit with Grandma while the kids drew pictures. I think it was more fun for Connie and I than for the kids, but it was really nice to get to visit Grandma.
Time for family prayers and for Jared to go to bed (though he says I can keep working on my letter, if I want). Hope everyone is doing well. Now to submit my letter in triplicate. One to Aunt Ruth, one to the blog, and one to Facebook. ;0) How advanced we’ve become! I must say I really do like Reid’s idea to be able to comment on each other’s letters. Aunt Chris, yours was the best last month! I loved your Christmas miracle!
Love to you all!!
Ryan, Sherry, and Jared
No comments:
Post a Comment