Miracles do happen. After much prayer and applying for job after job Emma was asked to work four extra days at the auto auction where she has been working on Wednesdays. She had asked two weeks ago if there were any other jobs available and the answer was no. We have applied for three other jobs since she asked (and I’m afraid I say “we” because her courage fails her at each non-responsive application), and Thursday they called and offered her four hours a day more than what she is doing. We’ll take it! She starts this morning (and here’s the mother in me) after she does her ironing. Don’t laugh. This was an assignment a day or two ago. She doesn’t have to be to report to work until 10:30 so she has time aplenty. She is still working hard on her online English course and local Book of Mormon class, and playing the piano for Primary. She is in a good place.
New England got snow dumped on it last Friday/Saturday. You may have heard about it in the news. The state of Connecticut has been at a standstill. I think the snow finally started to abate around noon on Saturday so clean up in our driveway commenced. I think we got around 30 inches and I must confess I did not join in the cleanup project because of my lousy back. Please don’t think poorly of me for Emma and I have shoveled the driveway all by ourselves a time or two this winter, but I was a little fearful. I was also just shaking my head at the denial that Bob has been in concerning buying a real snow blower. We own three snow blowers that are so puny it is like using the leaf blower. Bob and Emma got about 6 feet out from the garage and did the sidewalks to the back and front of the house, but with almost three feet of snow, it was an exhausting endeavor. That took about 6 hours. The neighbor that I babysit for took pity on us and asked if we would like to use his REAL snow blower. It had taken him 2 hours to clean his driveway. Bob jumped at the chance and was done in about 1 ½ hours. Thank you, my good neighbor. You saved Bob’s life. There was no way we were going to get out to go to church on Sunday, and yes indeed we did have church. Sunday found Bob working at JCP from 9:00 am to 10:00 pm trying to clear out all the snow so work could resume today. He admitted he had a ball using a Honda 3,000 dollar snow blower with power to spare. He also got to drive a truck with a snow blade on it. With all this power equipment at his fingertips, though he didn’t get to drive the front-end loaders or the Snyder tractor trailers, he was in seventh heaven. He was exhausted when he got home and slept like a baby.
We are lonely here in CT without Austin, Taylor and kidlets. No more meeting at Ikea for free lunch on Tuesdays or going to plays or just plain old playing. I got rid of all my big toys though I still have one Little Tykes slide in the back yard. Emma and I were looking at pictures they had posted on Facebook last night and we both heaved a sigh. Being far from family is hard. Four out of five of my children live west of the Mississippi as do most of my siblings and it has been a hard adjustment. Is it evil to pray that JCP transfer us somewhere else (I never pray to go to the facility in Milwaukee) so that we are not so far from everyone? I heard JCPenney is thinking of closing Reno, so I can’t go there. Spanish Fork would be good, and no I would not live at the old homestead. The neighborhood isn’t what it used to be. Ah, well, if wishes were fishes.
I pulled off New Beginnings last Wednesday, with a little help, of course. Now on to the next project. Do we sled for our combined YMYW this week or do the activity indoors that we planned? I need to see what’s available out there. The cornfield down the street from me is usually crowded with folks sledding their little hearts out, but the snow is way too deep for me to even entertain thoughts of taking my 2 wheeled van into. I better drive around and check out all the options today.
Time’s awastin’. I’ve got the old fogies coming to my house for family home evening tonight. We had to cancel the last two Mondays because of snow and ice. I don’t know where they will all park if they do come. The piles of snow in the street are awful and I only have a one car driveway and we weren’t able to clear all the snow off the top of the driveway where we could have put three or four cars. I need to finish sewing the Personal Progress book/journal holders for birthday gifts for the girls. Thank you, Taylor for opening my eyes up to that possibility. I need to start my homework for the week and do my own ironing. I also may need to get out today just to get out.
May the Lord bless you, as he always does, and may you see the ways that he has blessed you. I know that even in little things that are really unimportant (He helped me find a picture I really wanted for my lesson last week on the Plan of Salvation. Remember that one that is of the pre-existence that was from a teaching manual and is not in the gospel art kit? Ta-da! He does answer prayers.) He will show us that He is listening to us. It gives me patience when I ask for the big stuff. I know He hears my prayers, and the timing may be just not yet, but I know He will take care of me in a way that will be good for me and mine.
Love,
Bob, Ruth and Emma Jane-Jane
No comments:
Post a Comment