Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Rose Driving, Caroline Serving, BYU-I, Family Trip to Greensboro

Dear Family--

June went so quickly because we were so busy. Rose went to Girls Camp, Youth Conference, EFY, and finished her online driving course during June. I still have to schedule her road test, but she should be the proud possessor of a ‘real’ driver’s license by the beginning of August. Rose is taking a math class as dual-enrolled student this fall. It will count for both high school and college. Depending on how it goes, she will decide if she wants to continue that course for the next two years. I can’t believe she is a junior in high school this year. Just two more years and she will earn the right to be ‘free at last, free at last!” That is how she sees it right now; we will see if that perspective will change as she feels the burden shift from our shoulders to hers. Rose is a pretty amazing girl and I anticipate amazing things from her.

Caroline was not nearly so busy in June because at 12 years old, she has fewer outside activities. Recently, Caroline had come to the opinion that summer was meant to be spent lounging around doing as one pleases. A few days of following this creed made one sad, whiny, and ungrateful Caroline. Not bearing to see one of my children suffer needlessly, I stepped in to rescue my poor, precious darling. Caroline was informed that she and I would be cleaning the entire house ourselves from stem to stern one Friday. We began in the basement dusting, washing baseboards, vacuuming (yes, even under the couch cushions, Caroline), bathtubs, toilets, organizing closets, remaking beds, etc. I administered this strong medicine amidst groans, cries for pity, and pathetic arguments against child labor. Caroline turned her nose up at several opportunities to choose some fun music to work to. I took that as permission to blast “Songs of the West”—by the Norman Luboff Choir. “Caaares of the past are behiiiind, Nooooo where to go but I’ll fiiiiind. . . “ I sang along lustily as the main floor brought floors to scrub, cabinets to wipe, furniture to be moved, mirrors, and windows. As we vacuumed the front stairs together I noticed that Caroline’s determined scowl had slipped into a quiet reverie, but said nothing. The top floor brought more beds to strip and remake, her bookcase to reorganize, dust bunnies and lost items to be cleared from under beds, showers to scrub, and walls to wipe. Her quiet reverie had morphed into smiles and finally blossomed into full blown laughter by the end of the grueling 5-hour session and I winked at her when I said, “How does work make you feel, Caroline?” She momentarily tried on her previous unpleasant scowl, but couldn’t keep it up. She laughed, “Alright; you win!” Stacy and Rose cheered when they found they had been given a free pass on weekend chores, so it was a win-win! It really does feel good to work hard and it really is fun to work together, even if it takes ALL DAY. Not wanting to lose the momentum, Caroline and I spent the bulk of June serving. We made lunches for our county’s disadvantaged school-age children with our ward and St. Gabriel’s Catholic Church. We loaded and unloaded a van of Sterling and Jennifer’s belongings into their new home; Caroline entertained her nephews and niece while I helped put beds together and emptied boxes; weentertained babies in the Tot Lot for Cub Scout Day Camp; Caroline learned to mow the lawn and made dinner by herself several times. Ah, June was a roaring success.

Stacy continues to work her full-time job of assembling lighting fixtures from 6 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. She is grateful for gainful employment, because she knows it is true that “Work Will Make You Free.” Free to go to college and not starve or sleep in the cold. Free to pay for gas and to buy yourself new clothes. Yes, Stacy is “Free at last, free at last!” Stacy has a sweet boyfriend who takes her to YSA activities on Tuesday evenings, Institute on Wednesdays, and church on Sundays. They also manage to use their season passes to Six Flags over Georgia. Stacy is all signed up for BYU-I in the fall and even has her housing set up. Yahoo!

Scott is still working in Greensboro, NC, Monday through Thursday. One Monday evening he called to tell us about his unusual end of his trip. As he deplaned he felt something falling out of one of his pant legs. There on the concourse was Caroline’s bra! He quickly scooped it up and put it in his pocket. He thought, “Wouldn’t that be great to have to explain why a 58 year old man has a pre-pubescent bra up his pant leg.” Apparently, the laundry was done a bit too hasty! Even mortified Caroline had to laugh!

Scott has been gone more than he has been home and we have really missed him. He was required to work two weeks straight encompassing the 4th of July weekend. Heck, Greensboro is only 5 ½ hours from here, so we picked up Stacy from work on Thursday, the 3rd and headed up to visit dear ol ‘ Dad. On the drive up we laughed to the audio book of “Cheaper by the Dozen.” I hadn’t remembered that there was a bit of swearing in there! It was still a good read. We stayed at a ritzy (for us) Marriott in downtown Greensboro and got to eat in the privileged Concierge Lounge. Scott left for work early on the 4th, and when the girls awoke we found the Independence Day parade was forming under our very window, so we hurried down to watch it. Greensboro is a fairly small town, so the parade was blessedly short and simply screamed hometown Americana. I fit right in and I think I found where Scott and I will retire. The parade had only two small high school bands and, imagine this, one of them had several members that looked suspiciously over-18. Yes, yes, it was true! Two mothers carried their flags on their ample hips, one clarinetist needed no music stand because she balanced it on her chest, and what the trombonist lacked in hair he made up in girth. Scott could join the high school band when we retire and maybe I haven’t missed my chance to be in the color guard! It was a humble beginning of a grand day out.

After the parade we walked to a fancy restaurant across from where Scott was working. He hustled over to join us and we were treated like royalty because Scott has eaten there with regularity during his 7 month stint and there were absolutely no other customers in the place. Scott hustled back to work and the girls and I went back to the hotel for a long nap before we walked through the booths of the Greensboro Fourth of July Celebration to the International Civil Rights Museum. Hey, it was right down the street and instead of the usual $10 entrance fee, we were able to get in for $5 a head. We can say we have been there. Actually, it was pretty interesting to be in the Woolworth building where the four black college –age young men staged a polite sit-in at the all-white counter. I admire their courage and passive resistance. Scott finally finished work and we hurried of to a showing of the new movie “America—Imagine a World Without Her.” I highly recommend it because the producer was very respectful in letting those with opposing viewpoints speak for themselves. No interrupting, no fighting. I especially loved the end where a rock band totally rocked out to “The Star Spangled Banner.” I interpreted that to mean that, as today’s Americans, we remember, treasure, and endeavor to live up to the emancipating concept that people have the right, and are capable of, governing themselves. That is the genius that made (makes?) America the most successful nation in the history of the world. We then ambled back to the hotel to watch the fireworks from the top of the parking deck. The outfield of the Greensboro Grasshopper baseball stadium faced the hotel so we had perfect seats. A sweet, very American, July 4th.

Saturday Scott again went to work while the girls and I set out to discover the Monrovian settlement of Old Salem, NC, in Winston-Salem. I had no idea who the Monrovians were, but it turned out to be fascinating. FYI the Monrovians broke from the Catholic Church in Germany in 1415, about 80 years before Martin Luther. They lived on the estate of Count Zinzendorf in Germany to escape persecution, and eventually left Germany to settle Bethlehem, PA, among several other towns. Imagine that—one more group of people seeking religious freedom in the New World. They sent a group to settle in the wilderness of North Carolina. Anyway, the settlement dates from the 1730’s and we were able to see dozens of homes, churches, and businesses staffed with terrific docents dressed in period costumes. I always look for common beliefs in these break-off sects because there always are. They believed that Christ should be the head of their church, not a man. There is still no one man as the head of their church; instead they have a council of Elders. Interesting. They believed that no one is more important than another, held their land in common, educated their girls, and addressed each other as Brother and Sister. Hmmm. Then back to the hotel for another nap while we waited for Scott to get off from work, then off we ran to the next event.

I had found an activity under “Family Fun,” on Greensboro’s website that was entitled, The Barn Dance. I think the brochure describes it best: “It’s nestled in the farmland of southeast Guilford County and at first glance, The Barn Dance appears to be a large workshop or horse stable. Just wait until you walk inside! Reminiscent of the Grand Ole Opry, The Barn Dance is decorated with country music memorabilia and antiques. Inside the theater, murals depicting rolling hills and farmland give one the feeling of being at a true outside barn dance along with the overhead 16 ft double winged WWI barn- stormer plane. The lobby is also decorated with hand-painted murals of legendary singers such as Elvis, Loretta, Conway, and Hank. Everyone, young and old, will enjoy spending the evening in comfortable theatre seats, listening to great music and taking advantage of the 1200 sq. ft heart pine dance floor. Come hungry! The Barn Dance Grill opens at 5 p.m. every Saturday! “ It boasted a great family atmosphere with no swearing, smoke-free, all ages invited, dance music provided by live country and/or classic rock bands. Sounds like the Felsteds’ kind of fun! We didn’t get there until 7:30 p.m. or so and found the parking was packed! The entrance fee of $11 for adults and $6 for kids (16 and under!) was a bargain, especially because we had unexpectedly come on Customer Appreciation Night. The food was free! There was a huge crock pot of hotdogs and a large table laden with homemade potluck faire. Bush beans, lima beans, pole beans, butter beans, scalloped potatoes, cupcakes, cookies, pie, etc. The girls scanned the crowd for anyone their age. No chance. There were a few kids running around but the average age had to be 60. Perfect for me! I loved watching the sweet couples glide over the heart pine dance floor and Scott and I made a game attempt at keeping up with them. They moved slowly but their reciprocated love was easy to see. And the dance floor was packed! There was a lot of fox-trot, swing, and circle dancing. I was so jealous of that circle dancing. I wished I knew those steps! It was a good thing we had brought along our ‘adopted’ 23 yr. old Philippine fellow worker of Scott’s (Sir Allaine—that is his first name). He knew how to do the West Coast Swing and was able to keep Stacy, Rose, and even Caroline occupied. The girls had only complaint; even the fast music was rather slow and they were ready to leave within the hour. We prevailed upon them to at least stay until the intermission when all of the line dances would be played. I’m so glad we did. We all got to learn a circle dance called The Salty Dog Rag. I had learned it at BYU but had forgotten it. It was a gas and everyone was kind as I made mistake after mistake. One pass I danced the girl part and then I would mess up and be in the boy part and then back to the girl part. They kept the dance up until I had all of the steps down. I learned a couple of new line dances but the most fun was dancing with everyone else; my girls, little kids, older folk, and men who know how to lead with a firm but gentle hand pressure. I had a great time. Just before intermission another of Scott’s fellow employees showed up. Scott had given him the address and he had found his way alone. N’Lesh is a very sweet, kind, religious East Indian who daily applies his red dot to his forehead. His eyes were as wide as saucers as he took in the fairly unprofessional venue, homemade food, and aged population. He did not dance but sat in the “comfortable (?!) theatre seats” and watched. He left when we did after intermission but I was curious to know what he thought of that very American event. The next day Scott told us that N’Lesh told Scott that if they have to stay over another weekend, he wants to go back to The Barn Dance. Wow.

The 30 minute drive back to Greensboro was one of my favorite memories. We sang “Daisy, Daisy,” “White Coral Bells,” and hymn after hymn. Sir Allaine is a very, very devout Roman Catholic who can sing a fine baritone. We chose as many common hymns as we could and sang parts at the top of our lungs (I thought how much I missed having Bruce there). Sir Allaine sang a couple of Catholic hymns solo for us and we serenaded him back with “I Am a Child of God.” He expressed his gratitude for being invited to participate in such ‘wholesome, virtuous, clean’ activities. He said he didn’t remember the last time he was able to sing hymns with his family. They are all active Catholics but he does not live near them anymore. He was a pleasure to have, as well. Scott insisted in taking the troupe to his favorite restaurant, Red Robin, for a treat on the way home.

Sunday morning we went to church and then we drove home so Stacy could be at work at 6 a.m. on Monday morning. On the way home we listened to a very un-Sabbath appropriate Rex Stout/Nero Wolfe murder mystery. Hey, it kept me awake and we all really enjoyed it. It was a short but satisfying family trip.

Thanks for reading or perusing, but mostly giving me the opportunity to preserve some memory of how we passed our time on earth. These events may not be earth-shattering, but I believe they are the everyday things that build family relationships. We may be slow, but we are getting to where we want to be and becoming better! That is, seriously, all I can hope for. Keep plugging away, every little body! We cannot fail unless we quit. We will never quit, never surrender and never give up the ship!

Love—Uncle Scott and Aunt Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment