Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Lighting the World and Keep Your Bags Packed

January 1, 2017
Dear Family,

I seriously cannot believe I am alive in 2017, but grateful to say that I am.  This year has been an extremely full one for Boyd and I.  For some reason, I had a deep feeling that this past year was going to be a year I was going to be traveling.  I didn't know, however, the 'why's', I would be traveling. A few of the 'why's' were ;  We had a couple of sweet babies come to us this year (Joy's sweet Oliver, and Camilla's sweet Sarah Jane) which necessitated traveling, we also were blessed to visit Eric and his family in England, exploring four European  countries with them.  We also celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary by going to Hawaii, we took a couple of quick trips to Idaho with Elias and Kay, went to Florida to play with a few siblings and their spouses, took a trip to Idaho with Dane, attended Alex and Miranda's wedding, attended Scott and Heidi's wedding, attended Liz's wedding in Georgia, saw Elias ordained to the priesthood in Idaho, attended Women's Gen. Conf. in Utah and heard Jean give a beautiful and inspiring talk from THEpulpit, ~ and took a few other sundry trips.  How thankful I am that I had the health and inclination to make these trips.  The only trip I was not able to make (already had my ticket in hand) was the get-together with my siblings being held at Ruth's in Connecticut.  All were there, sans David and I.  I could not go because I had one of our Pathway students pass away, and I felt I should stay and help the family.  (Btw, the above trips are not chronological). We finished off the year with a trip to Utah for Christmas. Joy and Mike hosted our celebration in Herriman, Ut, and we had a nice day full of games and food at Dane and Camilla's, also.  This may not seem like a lot of traveling to some of you, but for me, a body-that-likes-to-stay-home in beautiful AZ, it was a lot!  ~but grateful.

We have enjoyed our life, our family, and our faith this last year.  We are hopeful to continue to enjoy our lives, family and faith this next year.  

This next year we are looking forward to connecting with Boyd's and my siblings, maybe just us to go to dinner, or play games, just to feel close. We haven't been blessed to be with Boyd's siblings, unless there has been a death, or wedding, or some other occasion. It is necessary and desirable to 'just be together' with no other agenda, other than to build each other and stay close. We are going to work on that this year. We are all in our particular families for a reason. We were not born into the 'wrong' families. We all have a part to play in our family's success.  Wahoo! This is going to be a great year!

We had a lot of fun this December ~ I'm sure just like all y'all, ~ 'lighting the world' this past month in honor of the Savior.  One of the most fun things we did, was waiting at the gas station, waiting to see some person or persons who looked like they needed a little extra help paying for their gas.  Boyd and I parked nearby, and would notice the clients that would pull in.  We prayed in the car, to be inspired, about just who really needed some help. One time it was a woman who had just been fired from her job in Flagstaff and was trying to make it down to Texas to stay with family. Another day it was an unkempt elderly gentleman who didn't speak a lot of English and was from what I would guess from his accent, an Arabic country. He said he had been in the States a couple of years.  When we approached him, and asked him if he would let us pay for his gas, he seemed confused.  He asked if we were Jewish, for some reason.  I told him we were not, but all of us had some of the blood of Israel in us, eh?  He asked us for directions to Flagstaff, where he said he had family, (we gave him directions), and he asked again for directions .  He seemed to have a bit of dementia but wanted no further help.  He gave us a warm hug before leaving, I really don't know why this gentleman needed us then, maybe for the gas, maybe for a touch, maybe for directions, but we felt an odd, but filling gratitude for this encounter.  We also 'laid-in-wait for those that might need help with groceries...that was also super fun.  Boyd was the first one to spy a sister in need. We also were blessed to help at a local food bank.  We went to a local Christmas concert and went early to give the receptionist some extra money and asked her to use her discretion on just which families or persons could use the help with their ticket fees, and to keep it anonymous ( as most of you know, Joseph City is not a place of affluence).  Boyd and I shared Turkeys, eggs, and other items with those in need.  Oddly enough, some of the people 'in-need'  have the money to purchase items, but what they really need sometimes, is an out-stretched hand, a connection, a person who thinks they are important enough to remember.  Boyd and I would  love to hear your ideas and things you did, for reference next year. 

Well, that's it for now...here's to 2017!!!!
Love,
Julie (and Boyd)

No comments:

Post a Comment