Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Omaha Christmas and New Callings

Jan 2017
Dear Family,
     I honestly thought these letters were due next Sunday because it was not Fast Sunday yesterday because of it being New Year’s Day.  Sorry about that.
     I have read Julie’s letter and I am surprised on how much she has traveled – not just a little – but a ton.  Did we really go to Disney World this year?  Man, that seems like ages ago.  In Relief Society yesterday we were to make a list of the months and then fill in each month with an event.  From about June on I did fine, but anything before that I drew a blank.  I guess that’s where these family letters come in. 
     For Christmas Bob, Emma and I ventured all the way to Omaha to visit with Austin, Taylor and children.  Jean Marie met us there for fun and frolic.  Paisley and I made sugar cookies for Santa, went shopping for last minute Christmas gifts, listened to Jean and Taylor play a beautiful duet in Sacrament meeting, played lots of games, went to the movie “Moana”, borrowed Austin’s car to go to Kansas City to see our horse Lizzy, looked at real estate, went to the zoo (there are lots of indoor exhibits), enjoyed a history museum (the name escapes me, but it was excellent), and of course enjoyed watching each other Christmas morning open gifts one … by … one.  That is one of my favorite parts of Christmas, watching faces for their reactions.  We were not disappointed.  Oh, and we all got the black gumbo, except for Paisley and Bob.  Bring on the ginger ale and saltines!  We are none worse for wear but it was nice when it finally left us in peace.  There was lots of clean up for Austin and Taylor.  Taylor had made some chicken soup a day or two before and it was definitely my go-to meal for a few days.  The trip home was uneventful.  We got home at 2:30 in the morning on Friday, made it to bed by 4:00 am and Emma gallantly went off to work for her 7:30 shift.  Bob and I did very little on Friday sleeping in, cleaning out suitcases, starting laundry, sleeping some more, and were finally in full functioning mode on Saturday.
     I have been called to teach the marriage class on Sundays with Bob asked to be my assistant, and you know what that means – I need to improve myself yet again.  Rats.  I thought I was getting better but I must need more refining.  Yesterday at church a semi-active was talking about being asked to attend the class.  She asked the RS president who the teacher was and I admitted it was me.  “Sorry about that,” I said.  It will be interesting to see if she decides to come or not. 
     We did try the Light to the World challenge and were not as creative as Julie and Boyd.  Bob worked too much – I don’t need to tell you about the brutal hours he makes himself work.  It was interesting to see how many things came up daily that were going to be done anyway.  I had no miraculous adventures but I was satisfied at the end of the day at the opportunities that opened up to me.  And that was the beauty of the whole thing.  I take for granted the service the Lord puts in my way forgetting to see it as the blessing it truly is.
     I send my love to each of you.  You help my testimony remain firm (it is not your job, but you are such a great influence), make me feel of value, and make me want to be better than I am.  Thank you.


Love, Ruth and Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment