Dear Family,
So how was everyone's Christmas? Mine was a bit hectic this year what with finishing last minute details for my children's Christmas. In the midst of it I enjoyed a wonderful date to the Handel "Messiah" concert performed by a multi-church choir including some LDS singers. That was a real treat. Reminded me of when Tammy and I sang in the "Messiah" with our stake the first fall we were in Washington. What a great experience that was to sing about the Savior's life with such magnitude and conviction. Viewing the "Messiah" concert was truly the best of December's pre-Christmas happenings.
As is always the case, the hectic pace really escalated the last week before flying to Texas for a much deserved vacation with Aunt Monna, cousins and a big surprise for Robert which only Angie, Flora and my girls knew about. You see, I've been dating a nice gentleman for the last seven months and I thought it time to introduce him to some family members on the Barrus side. When I walked in the door where Robert's relatives on Angie's side were having Christmas dinner, Robert had an unspeakable expression of confusion, yet wonder at seeing someone who looks like a sister standing before him. He kept expressing uncertainty and doubts as to what he was seeing until Aunt Monna walked in behind me. At that point, Robert exclaimed "it is my sister!!". Wow! that was worth keeping it a secret for as long as I did.
Everyone was very kind and receptive to my introductions of Lee. At the dinner table everyone wanted to know all about Lee, asking the usual questions of who is he, what does he do, interests etc. Lee has a great sense of humor, taking things in stride despite his own nervousness. It made for a memorable Christmas surprising Robert, meeting Lee's younger sister, going to the Dallas Temple, watching a movie and just hanging out without pressures of work and other demands at home. On Angie's and my birthday we met at Paul's large home for a lovely lunch/dinner, the movie "17 Miracles" and an upside down jello cake complete with candles for Angie and I to blow out. For the sake of education, Paul is Aunt Monna's son. They have six sweet children under the age of 12. Only downside of the birthday celebration was me leaving the bundt pan holding the upside down jello cake in warm water too long and having it drip all over Robert when he tried to help me transfer the cake onto another dish. I'm so sorry Robert it left a sticky mess down your shirt and all.
The week of visiting, getting acquainted and such went all too quickly. Lee and I flew back home New Year's Eve Day. We ended up in Denver longer than scheduled for. The workers kept thinking the plane we were to board was ready. Eventually it was announced that BOTH planes we saw docked were inoperable and we needed to move upstairs to another gate for another plane awaiting our boarding. It was full to the max. I was amazed at how many people were returning with Lee and I to the Tri-Cities.
This dating thing has been quite the experience. I am amazed at how naive we are in our twenties regarding the whole dating process. I never in a million years thought I would be entertaining a relationship with someone. At the time last May and before, I have been very content, understanding my relationship with Heavenly Father. So, when Lee approached me at a Regional Singles Conference to ask me if I was interested in a date etc. I was taken completely off guard. Yet, these months testing the waters has been quite a wonderful adventure of sorts. I have no idea where this will lead, but, I am confident as I allow things to happen naturally and rely on personal revelation that I will know for a surety what this experience is teaching and where it will take me as part of Heavenly Father's plan for me.
Take care everyone and "look up" as our general authorities encourage, as indicated by a wonderful article in the January 2012 Ensign. It's more important to know what Heavenly Father's impression is of us rather than people around us. Unfortunately, we rely all too often on what others' think of us. The Savior is the only one who sees into our hearts as to the kind of person we really are spiritually and if we are working towards being the kind of person He would and can be proud of. I hope everyone in our family feels they are important in the eyes of our Heavenly Father. Pray for one another that they may know this for themselves.
Much love,
(Aunt) Ann, Mom, Grandma
No comments:
Post a Comment