My Dear Family,
May I say that I concur with several of my sisters when I say, “I’m glad that year is over”. ‘I am ready for a breather and wonder is there ever anything like that? Yeah, we always get a month or two and then it’s time for more adventures and growth.
We did have a very pleasant December. I did not get my Christmas cards out again this year and vow that by the end of January I will get them sent out. There are many people that do not know our address because of my thoughtlessness last year and I really do need to tell all those people that have supported us in our many wards and callings how much they are/were appreciated for their kindnesses. I got sick for several days (thank you, Emma, for sharing) which put me behind schedule, then Reid was home, then here came Jean, and there went everything. Next year’s goal – get Christmas cards out by Thanksgiving!
We were able to participate in the blessing of little Paisley Joy on Dec 11. Austin gave a marvelous and warm blessing to that sweet little daughter of his. Taylor’s dad came out for the blessing and a Christmas visit and it was good to see Roger. He is such a kind and compassionate father. Taylor is very blessed. Heck, we are all blessed! I couldn’t ask for better people to be around. I love my children, my daughters-in-law are to die for; with support like this, who shouldn’t feel on top of the world.
Our local library was showing “The Help” on a Tuesday night. I had wanted Emma to go with me and Bob was able to go at the last minute. He LOVED that film. I’m not sure why it struck a cord with him, but he said it was way better than “War Horse”. I must agree in my heart of hearts. Living in the south those few years I found it still surprising that so many southerners still feel quite prejudice in one way or another. I also made Bob, Emma and Reid go to “The Nutcracker” ballet with me. We ended up going to a local college for the performance and I must admit that they did a very good job of it. Of course no vacation at home goes without a job or two and Reid stepped up to the plate to help his dad with finishing tiling the basement bathroom and cutting up some trees that had fallen from the fall snow storm. Actually the cutting up of trees was what I wanted for Christmas and I was so glad there was no snow to impede the process. I didn’t think we would need our old saw here in CT so it was sold at our garage sale in Kansas. What a fool I was. Austin was a great councilor on what kind of saw to buy and what to avoid so we are once again toting that log and sawing that limb. Come spring you will find me hefting that saw and finishing up that job.
Jean Marie came home before we knew it. I then proceeded to drag the kids and Bob to a Cirque Christmas performance in Hartford. When I went to buy tickets the ticket attendant asked me if I had AAA. I said no, but I did belong to AARP. Don’t laugh. It got me enough discount to cover the tax, and I’ll take it. The performance actually ended up being very interesting, lots of acrobats from every where but the USA doing all kinds of impossible things. Christmas Eve found us participating in a ward family’s tradition of going to a nursing home and putting on a program. It was great to sing Christmas hymns, act out the nativity and hand out home made ornaments. Christmas Day was very nice but we all agreed it is not as exciting as when you have little ones opening their gifts. After church Austin and Taylor came up to share in our Christmas dinner and play games. They were invited to spend the night and then we all went down to the aquarium in Norwich. It was great. We packed a lunch, ate it in the cafeteria that had a sign that said “No Outside Food Allowed”, (I really didn’t see the sign until after we ate. Honest!) and watched the seals, sharks and octopi. There were tons of hands on stuff for the kids and plenty of information for the adults to keep us both happy. We have great pictures of Reid, Addy and Dallin inside a clear dome with a meerkat sitting on the top of the dome, and I am still wondering how meerkats fit into the aquatic theme. But never you mind. It was still fun. We ended up going to the Boston Temple for youth baptisms on Wed the 28th. I sent Jean, Emma and Bob into the temple while Reid was my right hand man as we prepared lunch for 40, and might I add, had it ready and on time with tables set despite being locked out of the local stake center for an hour.
We said good bye to Jean and Reid, and missed Spencer and Heather tremendously, and now life is back to humdrum. I was so glad that Taylor called yesterday to see if we wanted to come down. Emma and I got a good shot of family and a good dinner to boot. Addy’s x-ray showed that the battery she swallowed shortly before Christmas had left her body but now she has a bad sore throat and sounded like that little kid Froggy from the
Little Rascals.
I am still waiting to feel like an adult and like I know things. Will it ever come? Will I ever be in control of my thoughts and emotions? Thank you for helping me become a servant more fit for the Kingdom. Thank you for giving me a hand up and encouraging me to jump just one more hurdle. And thank you for writing your family letters and helping us continue in the closeness despite Grandpa Barrus’ passing. He’s up there dusting off the chairs that belongs to you in the Celestial Kingdom.
Love,
Bob, Ruth and Emma Dilemma
No comments:
Post a Comment