Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Santa's Cover Blown and Jared's Tooth Extraction

Dear Family,

Happy New Year! Guten Rutsch!! I hope everyone had a wonderful Dec. and holiday season. We didn't get to do everything on our list, but we had lovely time. I felt like time went by at just the right pace and, as usual, Ryan felt like it went too fast. I suppose that's the difference between working full time and staying home with a kid who's on Christmas break. ;) Santa's cover was almost blown this year, by the ward Angel Tree of all things. We do this every year and I'm sure a lot of you do too. This year I chose "11 year old boy, Lego's" because I knew Jared would have a great time helping to pick that out. In fact we told him that as the Lego expert we were putting him in charge of finding just the right set for this boy. Then as they were walking in to Target Jared suddenly realizes something. "Wait a minute. If Santa brings all the kids toys, why do we need to help this family by buying a toy???" You have to admit, it's a pretty legitimate question. Ryan's great desire is that Jared will believe in Santa for as long as possible (and that Jared's favorite vacation destination will always be Disneyland). He said that he paused and thought, oh crap! He's got me! Ever able to think on his feet, Ryan replied, "You're right. Santa brings everyone toys. But moms and dads like to buy presents for their kids too. Just like mom and I like to. But this family is having a hard time and that doesn't make them bad people...." Jared was back on board! They got to the toy aisle and Lego's were buy 1 get one half off and Jared was SO excited about that! When they got home and Jared showed me what they'd gotten he made a point of telling me about the incredible deal that meant they could get not one but TWO Lego's. Ryan also said that as they walked around Target, Jared carrying one of the Lego boxes, Jared kept saying, "this boy is going to LOVE this!! He's going to have to so much fun playing with it!!!" Jared went on to tell me all the many different ways the boy could play with the Lego's.

Jared is back in school and excelling at everything he does. He's also back to thinking he's on equal footing with mom and dad and needs frequent reminder that he isn't the mom or dad. Just a couple days ago he had a friend here. They'd asked for a snack and when asked what they wanted, Jared's friend said he'd like a fruit by the foot. Jared said, "well, you can only have one because they are so big." Jared, you're not the mom. Let me be the mom. It works to my advantage. As I left for my running group he asked me, "mom, after dad puts me to bed, can he play more Legendary of Zelda before he goes to bed?"

Lately I feel like there are only 2 things I ever say to Jared: "Jared, du bist nicht die Mutter oder der Vater." (you're aren't the mother or the father) and "Kleider sind nicht Servietten!" (clothes aren't napkins!) The latter is the most frequently used and one that Jared is starting to repeat. I have a feeling when he grows up and tells his children about their grandmother that's one of the things he'll say. "She always used to say, 'clothes aren't napkins' which of course means......well, I'm still not really sure." And he is blowing holes through his knees! It's gotten to the point that we had to tell him that every time we see him jump into the air and slam on his knees like a "banuclear" bomb he has to give us one of his Pokemon.

Jared lost his 3rd tooth on New Year's Eve in a rather violent kid on kid collision during a game of laser tag. His mouth filled with blood and he screamed both in pain and fear that he'd never find his tooth again. We rushed him out of the game into the light to inspect the damage. Once we got it rinsed out the emotional hit was worse than the physical hit. But a kind worker shut down the laser tag arena, opened all the doors, turned on all the lights, and helped us look for it. We couldn't find it. Jared grew more frantic and I almost decided this would be an example in letting go and sometimes life doesn't go the way we planned. I'm about to call off the search when instead I ask Jared if he'd like to say a prayer with me. He does, but he's crying so hard he asks if I'll say it. I made it short and sweet. "Dear HF, Jared lost his tooth, he's really sad about it, will You please help us find it? Amen." Jared gets up and runs off to look. As I'm standing back up I see right in front of me his tooth! It's right there as though someone had put it there so it'd be easy to see when we were done. I picked it up and called out "I found it! I found it!" Jared was thrilled and I suppose he learned a more important lesson about tender mercies and that the things that are important to us are important to Heavenly Father. Even if they are our baby tooth. And no, this tooth was far too valuable to give to the tooth fairy. Jared says she can have the next one.

They changed up all the teams at Ryan's work. He's now team lead of a different team and says he even has 2 "underlings". They seem to do that quite often. Once one project is finished they move people around. Ryan seems to like it. I think it's a nice way to get to know more people you work with.

Better yet, I have finally converted Ryan to running!! We have a treadmill now and I think it's the technology that appeals to him more than the actual running. But he has even announced that he'd like to do a 5k this spring. He's run 2 on the treadmill. He finished the 1st one in 34:30. The 2nd time he smashed his time by more than 3 minutes. I ran the Beat the New Year 5K the Salt Lake Track Club puts on every year. It's in Sugarhouse Park and you just circle the park twice. It's a popular race for costumes. Last year's winner of the "Coldest Runner" award got frostbite. I hear it was a guy who ran in a Speedo. And no, I don't know where he got frostbite. The race is fun. They start at 11:30 and everyone who comes in before midnight gets a plaque. I decided that since I've never worn a costume in a race I would this year, but I didn't want to go all out. So I put on an adult diaper over my running tights and put the "Loded Diaper" logo from Diary of a Wimpy Kid on the back. Jared thought that was funny and also worried people would think I poop my pants and tried to talk me out of it. And yes, I beat the New Year.

Love,
Sherry, Ryan, and Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment