Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Liz' Mission Call and Lessons Learned

Happy New Year Family!

I am relieved that 2011 is over and am hoping that 2012 is much, much better. 2011 was certainly a full year with several trips to Utah and Philadelphia, Grandpa Barrus' passing, two grandchildren born, a family reunion, etc. Whew! What a year! I was under the mistaken impression that things got EASIER as you got older. Not so, mon ami!

NOTE: Our most important and exciting news is Liz' mission call! To find out where she is going, read the paragraph about her.

Some of the lessons learned in 2011 include:

***Caroline has historically found school work rather easy. In particular, this year she has written many VERY interesting papers for school. For example, for one paper she was to pretend to be a visitor from out-of-space and report her discoveries about earth life. She wrote the paper from the perspective of a foreign exchange student from another planet who was writing a letter to her parents. It was great! But, Caroline discovered that past stellar performance does not guarantee success in future endeavors. I am supposed to read and help the girls edit their papers before the papers are due. I have told Rose, Caroline, and Stacy that any papers I need to read and make suggestions on, need to be done before the day before school. Revising all three girls' papers the day before school has proven too time-consuming and stressful. Caroline decided to wait until the day before school to write one paper and I told her she was on her own. It turned out to be surprisingly lacking. Specifically, lacking important details and information. When her teacher mentioned that the paper would need to be rewritten, Caroline had a mini-break down at school. The teacher excused her to wash her face and compose herself. When Caroline did not return in the expected amount of time, the teacher went looking for her. Caroline was still in the bathroom, red-eyed and staring at the mirror, seemingly frozen in place. The teacher asked Caroline if she had had help on the paper and Caroline numbly nodded 'no.' The teacher suggested that perhaps her mom didn't have time to help her every time and that maybe she could ask one of her siblings to help her. Caroline remained unresponsive and silent for the rest of the day, even when one of the children tried to console her. The teacher was so disturbed that she called me at home and reported the day's events. I explained that Caroline was just figuring out that the rules that the rest of us mere mortals live by, actually apply to her, as well. How dare that teacher call something I produced, Unacceptable! Don't you KNOW that I always get great grades, even when I do a haphazard job? Caroline learned that you don't get a pass just because you always have, are the youngest in the family, are cute, and are smart. Good for you, Caroline! Better now than when you are 15, or 25, or 35.

***Rose learned that it pays to get good grades. When she found out that I pay $3 for every A, $2 for every B, and that she pays me $4 for every C, boy! did she get to work. She turned a pretty penny around Christmas time. Not a C in the lot!

***Stacy learned that making a suggestion is a dangerous proposition. She filled out a questionnaire about ideas for a talent show and was shocked to find out that people will expect you to 'flesh out' your suggestions and even bring them to fruition! Who knew? Well, now Stacy knows. And she also learned that she was capable of writing, directing, and performing in the most popular part of the talent show! Way to go, Stacy!

***Ruth learned to read labels. One week we all felt a little 'off' and were frequenting the little jacuzzi more often than usual. I thought we all had a touch of the flu until I discovered that Ruth had retrieved a fresh container of dishwasher soap from the food storage and didn't look close enough at the container of dishwasher soap. She had mistakenly brought up Tide with Bleach tablets and used them in the dishwasher. Oopsy!

***Stewart learned that being on a mission is a comfortable thing to do . . . now that you have been out there for 2 years. He said in his latest email, "I am terrified to come home. I wish I could stay another year." Me, too. But, reality has a way of sneaking up on you. Thank goodness your mother is always thinking of your welfare. You know the Barrus motto: "A busy child is a happy child." I was at a construction products place today and felt positively inspired to ask the manager (who was loading retaining wall caps into the trunk of my car) if he needed a very large, healthy, strapping male to work for him. He looked surprised and said, "Actually, we are thinking of adding a lot helper (think 'one-who-moves-large-heavy-objects) in the next couple of weeks. Have him call so-and-so." I told the man that Stewart would be leaving sometime in April for college and he grinned as "Perfect!" escaped his lips. Won't Stewart be surprised that he has already had his first job interview and doesn't get home until January 20th! Lucky man! If that doesn't sound like an evil mother, I don't know what does! Actually, I am very happy that the Lord kept Stewart out in the field for a time that would disqualify him to go to college immediately. Our house could use a little more testosterone to offset the raging estrogen mood swings. Think commercial, industrial swings.

***Liz learned that Lord has a sense of humor and it is best to develop one yourself. Liz received her mission call on December 28th! She is going to the Utah Salt Lake Temple Square Mission. She had her heart set on Korea and therefore her reaction was less than excited. As a matter of fact she burst into tears and was quite vocal about her distaste for the call. Her rants included, "When I went to LDS Business College I lived one block from Temple Square and I used to make fun of those missionaries!" and "I used to clean those buildings for my job! I already know everything about that area of Salt Lake!" and "I love the gospel, but I don't like the organization of the Church!" and "My whole family is going to come see me on my mission! Probably everybody from my WARD is going to come see me! How will I feel like I am on a mission at all?" I, for one, can promise that I will not step foot on Temple Square for the entire 18 months that she will be gone. Cross my heart. She threatened to reject the call. Two days of ugliness was all I could stand. I said, "Be quiet and don't accept the call or be quiet and do accept the call, but DO be quiet!" For someone who reacts violently at change, I think living in only one apartment and spending your mission on one city block would be ideal. It took about a week for her to get used to the idea and many people have told her many exciting things about being called to Temple Square. It is a privilege, it is an honor, you are the face of the church, only the pretty, out-going girls get sent to Temple Square, etc. Well, now she is very excited to go and we here at home applaud her decision! She has even said, "Maybe I'll just stay out there and finish my schooling." Be still my heart. Oh, the Lord DOES have a sense of humor. Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it.

***Scott learned that it is possible to take a break from his long-standing addiction to working on cars. It was suggested that he go cold turkey for 12 months. Scott broke into a sweat and began bargaining, "How about only 2 hours a week? How about 4 hours a month." I actually thought he was going to stop breathing. In the end, he agreed to a two month hiatus from working on cars. He only broke the deal once at the very beginning. We have three cars. The first one broke and after Sterling and Liz giving the repair a heck of a try (with Scott only occasionally giving advice from a vertical position) I ended up taking it to a *gasp!* mechanic and had it fixed. Before that first car was repaired, my car (Dad's) got a flat tire. I hit a pot hole and the tire separated a little from the rim, which caused it to loose air. A nice Southern gentleman hd already changed the tire in the Walmart parking lot and I had driven home on the spare. I needed to fix the bead on the tire and refill it and then replace the spare with the original tire. Scott begged to just fix this one little thing! I was tempted to let him, but I knew that the next time I wanted him to take a break from fixing the car, it would only be harder for him. I suggested that I fix the tire, with his guidance. He agreed. He was going to clean up the garage and then call me when it was time to fix the tire. I was to go inside and do my ironing until he was ready to help me. A couple of hours later I thought I would check on his progress. When I opened the garage door I caught Scott red-handed and a guilty, frozen look on his face. Sure enough, he couldn't contain himself. He had fixed the tire and had already put it back on the car. Aaaahhh! He tried to explain how he hadn't meant to fix it, he was only going to START to fix it, but the job got away from him and he before he knew it the tire was fixed and then on the car. He offered to let me help put the spare away. He looked amazingly like a drug addict who just needed a 'little' fix. Then Scott's car broke and the car parts ended up in his car, with no conscious action on his part. Those darn parts! But, Scott has been strong after that first little slip. The parts to his car are still in his car, awaiting the January 15th--the day he can work on cars again. I am proud of him! It was really, really hard for Scott to refrain from picking up monkey wrenches, pickle forks, timing belts, and the like. He has done admirably.

***I have learned that I am capable of more than I ever thought. Who knew it was possible to NOT correct someone who is doing someone ALL WRONG! Who knew it was possible it let your children run their own lives (okay, with the POSSIBLE exception of asking about a POSSIBLE job). I have learned that *SURPRISE* maybe I don't know everything and that I *SURPRISE AGAIN* am not in charge and that *SHOCKER* the Lord actually doesn't need me to make everything happen. Wow! What a relief! It feels great to have put that big, old world down! Well, maybe I am still learning to apply some of that knowledge. I have learned that you can make a great deal of progress when you let the Lord dictate where to apply and concentrate your efforts. I have learned that my husband and children are wonderful for being patient and forgiving with me! Bless them, every one!

We already knew that being a part of this large, loving, perfectly imperfect family was a blessing and this year we all felt the blessing of having your strength to lean on. I think our shoulders are a little wider now and you can feel comfortable leaning on us this year, as well. Isn't the Lord good to each of us? We love you, love you, love you!

Scott and Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment