Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Book of Mormon Tour, Birthdays, and Women's Conference

Dear Family,

Wow! I can’t believe I missed last month being that it was a party month for us here at the Curtis’. We started by celebrated Curt’s 53 birthday (check out our blog link for cool pictures….). He had been feeling like a ‘girly-man’ so we had a ‘manly –man’ theme from cake to guests sporting stick on mustaches. (The ‘guests’ were just us.) A few days later April, Curt and I took off for a Book of Mormon tour to Mexico and Guatemala. It was fantastic. April was by far the youngest on the trip by loved it. As far as traveling with the ‘Senior crowd’ she made the comment that she it felt like being in kindergarten. “You get lots of potty breaks, snacks and naps. Its great!” Actually we climbed up every pyramid we could, attentively listened to every lecture and kept each other occupied. Grandma Barrus and her sister June were soon labeled “the sisters” by the whole tour group with their lively conversation, knitting needles flashing and ‘let’s do it’ attitude. When the opportunity to go horseback riding through the jungle or zip lining through the jungle canopy we were waffling. It was the announcement that Flora and June had signed up for zip lining that got April to get out with the group. Curt and I were resistant to peer pressure. We went down the possible river Sidon site in small boats, saw sunning alligators and howler monkeys protesting our presence. We enjoyed parrots, bats, tarantulas and these rat/raccoon like animals that came out of nowhere. The ruins were mind boggling and EVERYWHERE. Those Book of Mormon descendants really did “multiply and prosper in the land”.

On our last day we were in the Guatemala highlands going across as crater lake formed by active volcanoes that surrounded the lake. After going across the lake to a small village we were given two hours to go up and down the streets and shop for treasures. I was pretty miffed at only being given two hours to shop. I am more of a wander and look shopper. I was not prepared for the intense shopping experience of being inundated by vendors. If you so much as to venture a quick look at something that had caught your eye, you were seized upon by pressure to buy. The 4year olds out selling were just as skilled as the wizened older women. Needless to say, we were back on the boat before the two hours were up and grateful for the refuge it gave. We spent every single dollar in our pockets. Even as we walked from the boat to the van we were coaxed to buy. When Curt responded to a young man that he didn’t have any money the boy looked at Curt and said “I like your hat. You trade for your hat?” Curt thought about it for a second and traded the cap that we had picked up at DI the week before our trip for the flute that the boy was hoping to sell. It was a good trade…a cap for a wooden flute. We loved seeing the people and their beautiful country. We only lost one of the three cameras that we brought. It will definitely go down in our ‘great memories’ book.

After that it felt like we were on a birthday roll. We celebrated Abby turning 20 and April turning 18. Alex’s wife Ashley turned 21 then it was Megan (4) and Isaac (8). Conference weekend was terrific. I felt more glued to the talks than I had been before. Somewhere in between we had a great Easter weekend where we decorated eggs as well as tie dye shirts. Andrew, Willow, Alex, Ashley, Abby, April, Marie, Matt and Eliza were with us. They are a fun group to get together.
After Easter we drove with Andrew and Willow down to Arizona for our first grandchild’s baptism. What a thrill that was. Isaac sang “I Like to Look for Rainbows” while Amy accompanied and I was all tears. I was remembering back to Amy’s baptism when Dad and Flora came to Michigan. That primary song had just come out in the Children’s Friend and Amy sang it just as clear and beautiful. Willow gave the talk on Baptism and I gave the Holy Ghost talk. We also got to attend Isaac’s piano recital and an impromptu dance recital by Lydia and Megan. It was an all too short trip but great to be there. Andrew and Willow are fun travel companions and they bring great snacks.
As soon as we got back from Arizona it was time to take Abby up to Rexburg for spring semester. We left on a Monday and it was fun to get groceries stocked in her cupboard, set up her room and tuck her clothes in her drawer. She was feeling a big unsettled about things but I kissed her goodbye and headed back to Utah. It was Wednesday when I found myself taking the same trip back to Rexburg and packing those same groceries, bedding and clothing back into the van and heading home. Abby didn’t feel right about being in Rexburg so she did the brave thing and left the fun and excitement that she had been so looking forward to. She is back at home taking on-line classes to finish her associates. So far….so good. I am glad she was listening to the spirit.

As most of you know I had the opportunity to be one of the presenters at BYU’s Women’s Conference. I shared my time with two other wonderful women and it turned out to be a great experience. (Darn it!) I was a terrible stink and resisted embarrassingly. Jean was a dream and had us in a really nice hotel in Provo. She made sure I had my ‘lips on’ and pampered me and let me tag along with all her responsibilities. I got a front row seat to all the Marriot center sessions and concerts. Being up close and personal was a thrill and treat. The sisters that she works with in the Primary Board are really wonderful women (I’m sure you knew that) but they were a lot of fun to see in action and very generous to me. Carole, bless her beautiful stars, arranged to come after her responsibilities at the MTC on Thursday and then came again on Friday for classes. Having my sisters around gives me great strength and I always feel good about myself. They almost made me forget that I had a huge cold sore that was growing down my face. I had been slathering it with Abreva but it wasn’t magical. I can tell you that having that cold sore while I sitting next to prominent people and around tons of women was a lesson in pride. All in all it was a terrific experience…not one I need again….but terrific. Teaching Gospel Doctrine class the next Sunday seemed a piece of cake.

Well now we are back to the boring life. I am so proud of myself because I got out the 72 hour kits and updated them, washed the upstairs windows inside and out (they are TALL) and vacuumed the walls and ceilings. Last Saturday we spread 10 more yards of mulch around the yard. I think I must be so relieved that May has come at last.

Just a last thought…..I have Dad and Flora blooming around my yard just now. The root beer, purple, yellow, pink and white iris’ are magnificent. The hostas that Dad dug and hand tagged then placed in my yard are a reminder that his influence in my life is still here. I love that.

Love you too, Aunt Susan & Uncle Curt

No comments:

Post a Comment