Dear Family,
I’ve finished coaching Fleet Feet’s beginner 5k program and am now coaching the half marathon program. This means that I’m now gone twice a week: Saturday mornings and Tuesday nights at 7. I usually get home in time to kiss Jared good night. I came home from coaching one Tues last month to find out Jared had done something really sweet.
When I got home he said to me, very seriously, "you should really check out your door, mom." I went upstairs and found 10 post-it notes all over our bedroom door with little notes from Jared. My favorites are: "no won hats you mom", "you are the best mom in the world", "everybody is your frend mom" Ryan said Jared came up with the idea all by himself and did it all himself. What a sweet boy!
He liked the idea so much Ryan and I put our own sticky notes all over Jared’s door after he left for school the next day. When he came home I told him “you should really check out your door.” His friend Josh was with him and the 2 of them bolted up the stairs. Out of all the notes, the one they liked best was one I wrote that said, “Kwigi wants to be your friend forever.” The notes are still on both doors and Jared would like to leave them up forever. Ok. Forever. Or until the post-it glue dries out.
We took Jared to Shoe Carnival for new shoes. Lately Jared’s shoes look like his feet are about to explode out the ends. It looked so obvious to me that he’d outgrown them. Ryan disagreed. He pointed out Jared has a pair of Nike’s that aren’t even worn out yet. Also Jared never complains about his shoes being too small or tight.
We debated a little. I insisted Jared must have new shoes tonight. Ryan agreed to go and check his shoe size. Jared’s old shoes are a 1 ½. He said if Jared measured at the same or a 2 then we would wait another month. The lady measured Jared’s feet and said he’s a size 3 ½! Ha! The mother is (almost) always right! Thank goodness SC was having a buy one get one half off sale. We had to buy new church shoes too.
Last week Jared told Ryan and I that he didn’t believe our church is “the realest of all the churches” because our church doesn’t “talk about the bible or trees.” So Ryan said, “what about I looked out the window and what did I see?” “That’s just a song, dad.” “Ok, what about the tree of life story in the Book of Mormon?” Oh! Seems like after that the church is true again. He’s a funny kid.
OC Tanner celebrated Ryan’s 5th anniversary with the company this week. He got a lapel pin with a diamond in it and a camping stove. OC Tanner has a tradition of honoring employees at various milestones. They send out an email to the entire company and invite everyone to come out to celebrate so-and-so’s anniversary. Usually people from your department come and anyone else who knows you. The CTO (CSO? CEO?) talked about what a great employee/guy Ryan is. Then his immediate boss said something. Then they opened it up to anyone else there who wanted to say something about Ryan.
Ryan said there were at least 8 people who wanted to talk about him. Afterwards someone told him, “I don’t know if you noticed, but that was the most people we’ve had say anything about someone at one of these!” Ryan’s favorite compliment came from his Scottish friend. (Please read the following with a Scottish accent.) “Ryan’s a helluva guy!” I wish they invited spouses to these
I got to eat lunch AND go to recess with Jared at school last month. I’m happy to say Jared was excited to introduce me to all his friends and we had quite a following on the playground. (Yay! I’m the cool mom!) I got to see where Jared eats, what kinds of games he and his friends play, and I got to play a pivotal role in solidifying Jared’s cool factor. One of the boys in his class skeptically asked me , “Does Jared really not like Pokemon cards anymore?”
Ah ha. This explains why he suddenly stopped playing with them one day. Fear flashed across Jared’s face. I could tell exactly what he was thinking. Please don’t tell him I like Pokemon. Please don’t tell him I like Pokemon. “Pokemon?” I answered. “Oh, he used to like those. What he really likes now though are those Lego Ninjagos.” The other boy’s face lit up. “I love Ninjago!! Which ones do you have???” And just like that, Jared was “cool” again.
All in all we’re well and happy, living the typical American dream. It’s a beautiful sunny day outside. Jared’s out there having a light saber battle with his buddy Josh. Jared has gaping holes in the knees of his jeans which I like to think give him more mobility. I can watch the battle unfolding from my desk. We had our final interview with Heart to Heart Adoptions last week. The interviewer asked me what our plans are for childcare. I’m our plan! :D And I’m so lucky that I can be Jared’s personal daycare provider.
Love,
Sherry, Ryan, and Jared
No comments:
Post a Comment