Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Stewart in Provo, Ruth in Virginia, Caroline and Rose in Mexico, Stacey in D.C.

Dearest Family,

March and April were truly epic in our house. In February of this year Scott and I were outnumbered 1 to 3. There were three young adult children living in our home and three school-age children still at home. On March 19 Stewart came to me and announced that he felt he should go out to Provo right away and make his way in the world. Wow! Scott wasn’t so sure he wanted Stewart to leave so soon, but I was VERY supportive. Yes! I left Stewart to make his own arrangements because I was busy with Emily, Cole, and Miles visiting and getting ready to drive to Utah for five days. Liz was to be at the MTC on March 28 and we wanted to bring her 1994 Olds Cutlass out to Erika in Provo, so Scott, Liz, and I drove pell-mell to Kansas City on Saturday, March 23. Liz does not like change so this arrangement was perfect for her. We had FIVE days to say good bye. Because Liz was set apart before we left Georgia, we couldn’t listen to the radio and there only a tape deck in the car. So we had a lot of time to talk. Five days. After staying the night at Scott’s sweet sister’s house, Liz and I left Scott to find his way home to Georgia on an airplane and we high-tailed it west. Just a couple of more days of driving (and talking) and we arrived in Provo. Liz and I had just enough time to re-register the car in Erika’s name in Utah, get her a new debit card, buy those last few mission items, have Erika cut my hair (bless you, bless you, bless you), hug and kiss Erika, visit with everyone on the Wasatch Front who was home (thank you, David, Megumi, Susan, Curt, Abby, April, Annemarie, Eliza, Jean, and Bruce), and hug and kiss Erika again. Visiting with each of you was a real treat I was hungry for. Oh! You are such good people! Thank you for taking time to love us.

Wednesday morning, March 28, we managed to complete the car fixing details (we now know a cheap, HONEST, mechanic in Provo—if you need one, please let us know!), and ran Liz to the MTC. As we were driving to the MTC I could tell Liz was getting nervous again and knew she might feel like backing out. Erika and I looked at each other over Liz and communicated via the eyes, “Do you think she is actually going to get out of the car?” I was prepared to ‘help’ her out of the car. The Church, ever efficient, had my get-away, I mean, the mission drop off planned perfectly. We followed a long line of cars through the MTC gate and stopped at Post #18 where two wet- behind- the- ears Elders were waiting. They got on either side of Liz and occupied her while Erika and I took her luggage out of the car. Erika hugged Liz and I waved good bye from the driver’s side of the car. The Elders each grabbed a suitcase and escorted her into the building. Whew! The entire operation couldn’t have taken 10 minutes. Erika and I drove over to the conference center at BYU and picked up wonderful, compliant Reid, who had agreed to drive me to the airport. We drove to the airport where we picked up a newly arrived Stewart, I hugged Stewart one more time, and went into the airport to catch my plane home. Emily had been a jewel to stay with my kids, but I knew I needed to get back and relieve her. We only had a few more days with Em and the boys to roast marshmallows over the fire pit, sleep in the tent in the backyard, go swimming, wrestle, and learn gab, gab, gab. Oh! She is one remarkable woman! Did you know she is starting her own company? Sterling and his family, and Ruth came to our house to listen to some of General Conference with us and that was a joy. We were able to celebrate Ruth’s birthday between sessions and then Emily took off for the airport.

Conference meant April was here and Easter as well. Ruth and Scott sang a duet, “If The Savior Stood Beside Me” in Ruth’s single’s ward and did a lovely job. A couple of days later, Ruth left to go work for a pest control company in Virginia. She is having good experiences and saving her money to return to BYU-I. Go Ruth! She and Logan have parted company, but Ruth seems happy about it. School is on the top of Ruth’s agenda. Yeah! Did I tell you that I love that girl, too?
Caroline, Rose and I barely had time to pack for our April 10-16 trip with the David Barrus’ to Mexico. We had a ball!! The day before we left we were driving around getting the last few things and Rose was crying and begging me to let her stay home with the dog. Change is not something Rose does easily, but fat chance, Sweetheart. We left our house at 4 a.m. and flew to Miami and then on to Cancun, Mexico. We got to our resort at about 2 p.m. and we were exhausted! Uncle David and Aunt Megumi didn’t come for another couple of hours and our hotel rooms were not ready, so we had to wander the resort for a couple of hours. The resort was gorgeous with palm trees and carefully manicured lawn that edged the wild jungle. There were 7 different complimentary restaurants to eat at and a snack bar that was open 24 hours a day. There was a beautiful theater for live performances and movies, 7 different beautiful pools, a lagoon to snorkel in, a great big open-air building with pool tables, air hockey, giant Connect Four game, and a huge chess set (the pieces were about two feet tall). There was a water park for the under-11 age crowd and, of course, THE WHOLE GORGEOUS OCEAN! The water was an unbelievable turquoise blue and was so warm! You could see right to the bottom of the ocean. It was beautiful! We got to use the catamarans (small sailboats) and snorkel equipment. They also had a kid’s club where you could leave your kids for the entire day. No way! We also discovered dozens of coatis roaming the grounds. Coatis are wild animals that are in the raccoon family. They are furry, with long noses (like anteaters) and prehensile tails. We saw them jumping around the trees and thought they were monkeys at first! They were very interesting to watch, but I didn’t like when they came a little too close and NO! You may not have one when you come back from your mission!

Uncle David’s family finally got to the resort and we got to check in. David, Megumi, T.J., and Hannah had one room. Rose, Caroline, Marianne, and Lillian shared another room. I had a beautiful room all to myself. I was so lonely for Dad that I nearly cried. The adults took the kids to the lagoon to try snorkeling. Everyone had to put on a life vest and snorkel equipment. It was pretty interesting, but the kids didn’t like it because it was warm and felt ‘dirty’ because it was like a little green and brown pond with lots of slime. You would have HATED it. But, at least we got to practice snorkeling.

We spent the first day playing in the ocean, several pools, and the kids’ water park. The younger kids wanted to try the Kids Club, so we left them there for one hour. It looked like a giant indoor playground. They were sure glad to get out of there! They said, “It was boring!” No kidding! That night everyone was so tired they passed out right away.

The next day we paid someone to take us to Acumel, which is a famous beach for snorkeling. We happened to be there at the time of the year that the sea turtles migrate to that beach to lay their eggs. We looked so funny wading out into the ocean with our flippers and masks on before we could lie down and snorkel. We saw dozens of sea turtles, fish, two sting rays, and a small part of the coral reef. I forgot the name of the coral reef, but it is the second longest coral reef in the world. T.J. and Hannah got tired pretty fast and had to leave the water to play in the sand. But Caroline, Rose, Lillian, Marianne, Megumi, and I snorkeled for about one hour. We had two guides who were really great to show us where to look for sea life. That was a great experience. After snorkeling the guide took us to Playa del Carmen (the closest town to our resort) to do some souvenir shopping. The kids enjoyed looking at all of the stuff and ended up choosing one thing each as a memento. Rose chose a beautiful hair fastener that had pink beading all over the top of it and a wooden dowel that ran through the center of it. There are pink beads hanging from the wooden dowel. After dinner at the resort we decided to go to the live show that night and it ended up being a black-light show which was loud and not very professional. The first act was a couple of girls dressed like a duck cartoon character which did a strip tease act. We waited through that act and watched the next lame act and finally left. I moved over to sit by Caroline during the second act. She leaned over and whispered in my ear, “I cannot believe you let us watch that show!” Our entire group left immediately after that. Of course, the kids loved being able to watch Cartoon Network each night. Whatever! I didn’t have to watch it! I enjoyed watching Fox News some of the nights!

The next day we went out in the ocean on the catamarans. Uncle David told the staff that I knew how to work the catamaran, which was not true. I tried to ask the man how to work the boat, but he was a little stinky and said, “He (pointing to David)say you know how.” So, Megumi and I got on the boat with Hannah, Caroline, and Marianne. I had no clue how to drive the boat so we didn’t get too far and I ended up going in circles. After about 15 minutes here came a Wave Runner with two Mexicans to rescue us! The Mexican who told me that David said I knew how to work a catamaran got on and sailed us around for a few glorious minutes. The water was calm, warm, and a stunning turquoise. We zipped through the water which was so fun! Then he told me that I lied and hadn’t paid for the boat rental yet. I was highly insulted! I insisted that I hadn’t lied and that he should take us back right then so that I could fix the problem. So, back to land we went and I ran to the hotel room for the money to pay him. When I came back I asked him for a few instructions and out we went again! This time I had Rose, Lillian, and Caroline with me. I still wasn’t very good and Rose began to get worried and couldn’t help but voice her concern. When you are trying to do something hard it is not helpful for someone else to point out all the ways you are doing the thing incorrectly. It was very discouraging, but I learned that I need to talk a whole lot less when others are struggling to do something new. Good experience! We finally got some wind under our sails and made it past the shallow turquoise waters to the deeper dark blue ocean. The water was incredibly navy blue colored! We zipped around for a while and enjoyed the speed of the sailboat. Well, we enjoyed the sailing so much that we went out two more times the next day! I wish I had tried it the first day and then taken the opportunity each day to gain a little more experience so that I could really learn how to maneuver the catamaran. David was pretty darn good at it. That was fun!

Lillian had wanted to go parasailing during the whole trip. Uncle David asked if I thought Rose would consider going with her. I thought there was no way that Rose would try it, but I encouraged him and Lillian to press Rose about it. On Thursday I bribed Rose with $50 if she would try parasailing, knowing all the while that it looked so scary that I would never try it! I had seen enough Funniest Home Video’s of parasailing people being drug through the sand and water and had no wish to end up like that! On Friday Rose actually accepted the bribe! In addition to the $55 parasailing fee, I paid $10 for the privilege of riding in the boat while they were being ‘sailed.’ A Mexican put him and all three of us on one Wave Runner and out we went to the boat. I hid my nervousness as we skimmed over the water and as we approached the boat, Rose loudly breathed, “This was NOT a good idea!” The boat drove around while the two men untangled the large parachute. Scary and too much time to get scared! Rose’s and my fears were unfounded, however. Heavy straps were placed on the girls and they were hooked to a metal bar connected to the parachute. Then they sat on the front of the boat and were slowly lifted up and up and up, off of the front of the boat. I could see Rose’s legs lazily swinging back and forth. That didn’t look so scary! Rose, the original Felsted chicken, loved parasailing!

Caroline and Marianne (7 years old) decided that they wanted to try parasailing, too. I said, “Sure!” Unfortunately, they were too light weight for the boat to be able to reel them in at the end, BUT they said that I could go for free if I would serve as ballast. Forsaking my last reservations, I signed up to ride with the two of them. We took the fun Wave Runner ride, were hooked up to the harnesses, snapped into place on the tow bar and away we went. It was warm and breezy and it felt like we were riding on a swing. The little girls LOVED it! I didn’t mind it too much as long as I didn’t look straight down. While we were hanging around in the sky for about 15 minutes the girls proclaimed that they wished they could stay up there for hours and take a nap. They let go of the straps and waved their bodies back and forth in the straps! I think the boat crew forgot about us for a little while because our parachute lost air for a few minutes and we slowly drifted down by the water. My legs were in the water up to my knees before the boat seemed to notice that perhaps we weren’t as high as we should be. The boat engine took off and we rose into the sky once again. Shortly thereafter, we were reeled peacefully in to the boat and landed on our feet. Nothing to it! I was happy to have had the experience, but grateful for that experience to be over! During the wave runner trip back to the beach the Mexican staff gunned it and we slammed into the waves after hitting air several times. I was so happy to still be alive that I yipped and yahooed all the way back to shore! That was exhilarating! Julie, David did ask if you were the one who wanted to sky dive. He may be up for it, but parasailing is probably JUST LIKE parachuting, so I will pass.

The rest of the week we played alternately in the ocean and the pools. It was fun and relaxing. On Sunday we were picked up and taken to church. It was very interesting. The building was quite new and beautiful. There were two full wards that used the building, and they had baptisms just about every week. A member of the bishopric held what seemed to be a deck of pink baptismal certificates as he scanned the congregation for any newly baptized members. Any new members that showed up that week we confirmed and given the gift of the Holy Ghost in Sacrament Meeting. We noticed that the chapel’s piano was pushed off to the side behind the sacrament table. A member of the Bishopric came over to our party and asked if anyone could play the piano. Lillian was the only option, but she demurred. Too bad, because the congregation had to sing every song accapella. Everyone started on a different note and the timing wasn’t too regular, either. Boy! I wish I could play the piano. I have practiced and practiced, but I still cannot read music. I can memorize it, but I cannot read it. After sacrament meeting I decided to accompany Caroline and Marianne to Primary. The teacher was incredible. She taught all 21 of the 4-8 year olds and they were a handful. She did a great job and Megumi, Dave, and I tried to help with a little crowd control.

After the meetings we all changed into pants so we could go on a tour of Tulum. Tulum is an ancient Mayan settlement. Our tour guide was an returned missionary from Mexico who had completed two years of college in Mexico, studying Mesoamerica history. He interpreted carvings on the buildings in the city and explained how the artifacts in the cities match up with what we know in the Book of Mormon. It was interesting and very beautiful. Then it was back to the hotel for dinner and bed! Before bed we managed to get in a few games with the kids. The kids were all so very good. They were troopers who didn’t complain and who generally tried everything we asked them to. I loved being with Lillian, T.J., Marianne, and Hannah. Aunt Megumi was remarkable. I admired how she handled T.J.’s melt downs. She remained calm and just walked away from him and allowed him to take responsibility for his emotions AND actions. She didn’t try to make him feel better. What a smart mother! I wish I had been smarter like that. Any tantrums seemed much shorter when the person was allowed some space to regain composure. Uncle David was kind to a fault. I appreciated how patient and pleasant he was with his kids whenever they wanted to do something, or needed something. He was forever cheerfully running after a Mango-Tango, dry towel, life vest, sunscreen, water gun, etc. He was also very good to let his kids eat and drink whatever they wanted this week. They are a good family!

We left for home on Monday morning, more tired than when we left, and definitely a darker shade than when we left. A good time was had by all.

Scott and Stacy did not accompany us to Cancun because Stacy had a school field trip to Washington D.C. for that entire week. Scott was so good to drive and chaperone that trip. I believe it is the first time he has EVER chaperoned a school trip. He was a little nervous because he had to bunk with four teenage boys at night. Of course, Scott turned out to be the favorite chaperone and his car became “The” car to ride in. No surprise there! I am so grateful he went on that trip instead of me because he is always so much more fun than I am! Several parents and teachers remarked to me how good he was to keep everyone entertained and involved. Scott really enjoyed visiting with the other parents and described his visit to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum as “A near religious experience.” He couldn’t believe that the teenagers did not appreciate seeing live and in- person the one- of- a- kind historical artifacts like the first Sputnik space capsule, the Lunar ModuIe, or the space shuttle Discovery. These are things that Scott’s and my generation had ‘experienced’ through live TV transmission and so they were very significant objects. The thought occurred to me that these things are really relics from Scott’s and my generation. All of these ‘miracles’ were just everyday occurrences to these kids. Outer space, blah, blah, blah! As much as Scott enjoyed the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, I would have enjoyed the tour of the Supreme Court. Most of the kids skipped that tour because the first group through told them that it was “just a bunch of empty chairs in a room.” Are you kidding me? You could have been in the same building at the same time that history was being made while the Supreme Court was hearing arguments and debating the future of Obama Care? And you chose NOT to go? What IS the matter with the kids these days? At least you could have said a silent prayer in those hallowed halls as the Greatest Nation on Earth crumbled to the dust. I’m sure Stacy was glad I hadn’t gone on that trip. I may have made a banner signaling my support of our freedom from tyranny and spent the week on the Supreme Court steps. Scott really was the better choice as chaperone. He was also the hero as he was able to fix one of the chaperone’s cars on the way home. Stacy really enjoyed herself (but did she LEARN anything!)and Scott loved being with her. Yeah! A good time was had by all.

The day after we came back from Mexico, Aunt Ruth, Uncle Bob, and Emma came to stay with us. They came Tuesday afternoon and left Saturday morning. It was wonderful to be with them and soak in their spirits. We were able to take a picnic lunch and visit Noah’s Ark one afternoon. I have written about this place before. It is an animal rescue operation run by a woman and her family. The woman felt that God had asked her to do this and she has worked mighty hard and established an extraordinary facility. They do a beautiful job and provide a great opportunity for the public to come and see peacocks, emus, wolves, lions, tigers, bears, horses, alligators (or were they crocodiles?), wolves, monkeys, etc. Bob was especially good to help me with projects around the house. Uncle Bob fixed the hole in the upstairs bathroom ceiling that Stewart put in when he stepped off of a joist in the attic. Uncle Bob also installed bowed hotel-like shower rods in the upstairs and basement bathrooms. He also bought and installed some new toilet seats that will not bang shut. They are Whisper Close toilet seats. Wow! Have we gone fancy or what? Ruth got me going in the yard by ripping out unwanted plants, pruning others, transplanting the rest, and giving me vision regarding how to save money on a new deck. She is amazing! Oh, how I loved being with them!

Sterling reminded me that it had been 22 years since we had had only three children living at home. I like this new stage in my life. Only three kids at home! I LOVE INDEPENDENT young adult children. It is so much easier to let them figure things out by themselves when they don’t live with you. I haven’t had a problem learning to cook less food, but I have had a little problem finding appropriate size bowls to serve it in.

Life is good. God is good. He is in the Heavens, directing everything and so everything is working as He planned it to. Scott and I are making tremendous strides and learning so much! I can honestly say that we have had a major break-through in the last month and our family is feeling the joyous effects of the Atonement. Wow! Who knew it would take me until I was nearly 53 years old to ‘get’ some of this stuff? Thank the Lord I AM getting it! We love you all beyond measure and are grateful that you love us beyond reason. Hurrah for Israel!

Love, love, love—Scott and Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment