When we finally arrived in Utah I was in bad shape. My Dad kindly woke up, was it 4am? to take Joseph to the airport. I booked that flight and felt bad that my Dad had to wake up that early and stay awake for work that day. Joseph enjoyed a few days of not catering to my every want/need before he started missing the kids and I again. But the kids were SPOILED and having too much fun to think if home in Arizona. My parents picked up all my slack (with the help of April, Abby, and Travis). They seriously did it all: swimming, Hollywood Connection, parks, guided art lessons, kid's day at the Air Museum, baking, birthday partying, feeding, bathing, bedtime. I'm sure I forgot something in there. They were great. As my time for departure drew near they made every possible effort to make my trip home as easy as possible. My parents are the best. It took me 15 hours to get home. We stopped often, for me as much as the kids. My new favorite stop is called Cove Fort. It is a church site guided by senior couple missionaries. That was our second visit and our guide shared all new information. Look it up.
School starts tomorrow. Isaac and Lydia will be starting 3rd and 1st grade. The last year and a half they were attending the local public elementary. Great teachers and staff. The classrooms were warm and inviting. But I volunteered one day a week at the school and was finally convinced my kids needed a different environment. Why? Two main concerns. Isaac had attached himself to friends that were often getting in trouble. Having my 2nd grader in the office calling me because he was in trouble was not what I expected out of my "good" boy. The teacher, who shares my morals and standards, kept me up to date on his behavior and she recommended to me and Isaac that he needed a new friend base. My other concern was the school's general poor use of time. I am all for school crafts and games, outdoor play, assemblies, holiday celebrations. Direct Instruction doesn't need to last the whole 6 hours. But every classroom had a Smart Board and they used them EVERYDAY to watch cartoons/movies. When there was a free moment, a holiday party, teacher needs to get something done they turned on the "TV". Really? Our school is Title I and I can only imagine how much TV some of those kids watch after school. Sigh. I wanted so bad to help the school with it's other quirks, but after a year and a half I decided my kids come first and we are going to do a charter school. Why are there so many educational choices. A fourth of our ward does the public school system. Another fourth attends one charter school. Others take their kids to 2 other charter schools. A couple families attend a different public elementary by choice. And a handful do homeschool. I considered all these options…it was a lot of work having to choose. Why can't all of us send our kids to the same school and make one amazing school instead of leaving some in the dust. Oh well.
So, I am due mid-January. Joseph was given an "upgrade" at work. He is doing the same type of work but now in a supervisory role. Woo-hoo. He is still working towards an MPA online and looks forward to the day he can work in Public Policy. Isaac is a learner, observant, and loves to play LEGO Star Wars on the Wii. Lydia is adventurous, sensitive, and loves to dance. Megan is a giver of hugs, likes to be noticed, and loves to pray for everything and anything.
Joseph and Amy De Graw Family
School starts tomorrow. Isaac and Lydia will be starting 3rd and 1st grade. The last year and a half they were attending the local public elementary. Great teachers and staff. The classrooms were warm and inviting. But I volunteered one day a week at the school and was finally convinced my kids needed a different environment. Why? Two main concerns. Isaac had attached himself to friends that were often getting in trouble. Having my 2nd grader in the office calling me because he was in trouble was not what I expected out of my "good" boy. The teacher, who shares my morals and standards, kept me up to date on his behavior and she recommended to me and Isaac that he needed a new friend base. My other concern was the school's general poor use of time. I am all for school crafts and games, outdoor play, assemblies, holiday celebrations. Direct Instruction doesn't need to last the whole 6 hours. But every classroom had a Smart Board and they used them EVERYDAY to watch cartoons/movies. When there was a free moment, a holiday party, teacher needs to get something done they turned on the "TV". Really? Our school is Title I and I can only imagine how much TV some of those kids watch after school. Sigh. I wanted so bad to help the school with it's other quirks, but after a year and a half I decided my kids come first and we are going to do a charter school. Why are there so many educational choices. A fourth of our ward does the public school system. Another fourth attends one charter school. Others take their kids to 2 other charter schools. A couple families attend a different public elementary by choice. And a handful do homeschool. I considered all these options…it was a lot of work having to choose. Why can't all of us send our kids to the same school and make one amazing school instead of leaving some in the dust. Oh well.
So, I am due mid-January. Joseph was given an "upgrade" at work. He is doing the same type of work but now in a supervisory role. Woo-hoo. He is still working towards an MPA online and looks forward to the day he can work in Public Policy. Isaac is a learner, observant, and loves to play LEGO Star Wars on the Wii. Lydia is adventurous, sensitive, and loves to dance. Megan is a giver of hugs, likes to be noticed, and loves to pray for everything and anything.
Joseph and Amy De Graw Family
No comments:
Post a Comment