I do realize I am late in sending this letter, but it needed to be done. We have had so many new things happening in our family that we had better start at the top. Don't feel required to read the whole thing--it is LONG! It is more important for me to write it down, than for you to read it.
Erika is getting married to Thomas Keillor here in Georgia on August 31, 2012. She has been dating Thomas, on and off, for about 5 years. Erika is 26 years old and is certainly capable of making her own life decisions and we support her in her choice. Thomas is 27 years old and has graduated from a technical college in Auto Mechanics. He is working at an auto shop in the ritzy part of Atlanta (Buckhead, for those in-the-know) and has recently been promoted to supervisor. He is not terribly tall, has dark hair and eyes and is very handsome. They will be married at our church building in a small, private ceremony and we will have a formal dinner afterward for the two families. Announcements, complete with a picture, will be shortly forthcoming.
For her wedding Erika wants no flowers, no wedding dress, and no decorations. No fuss and muss. I really thought Erika was going to be my one girl who would want a big, fancy wedding. Wow, do I know nothing or what. Erika and Thomas plan on being sealed in the temple as soon as possible. Yeah!
Elizabeth has been blessed to see many family members and friends during her 4 1/2 months of her Temple Square Mission. She has seen Aunt Julie, Scott, Erika, Jeaner, Marie, Amy, Joy, Aunt Jean, two families from our ward, and I know Grandma Flora went there looking for her. Visits from family have been a blessing to her and it has lifted her. I was surprised that the mission rules allowed missionaries to see family while they were working on Temple Square, and we certainly took advantage of that rule! I have a sneaking suspicion that the recent rule change to limit family interaction may be because of our use (abuse?) of that rule. At any rate, it seems that visiting family members has been a great blessing to Liz. Liz was surprised and thrilled to get a letter from Aunt Angie as well. Thank you all for your tremendous support! Here is an excerpt from her most recent email:
"I am loving being on my mission and I can feel the strength of you and everyone who is praying for me. I am very thankful that I am here! Yesterday I gave another talk in another sacrament (meeting)on Trust in the Lord. I will send you later the gist of it, but as I studied (for my talk), I realized that my whole life fit into the 4 point checklist to see your (level of) trust in the Lord. The one (thing) that has bogged me down for years (was) believing in my divine potential. You know how I didn't have real faith in what my gifts were, or if I even knew (what they were). As I studied I came across a realization of how each one of my "insignificant gifts" has helped me immensely (on my mission)compared to . . . other Sisters who do not have (those specific gifts). . . . we (the sister missionaries on Temple Square) are all doing . . . the same things . . .(but I can) see what (a). . . difference (it) would (make) if I didn't have (those specific talents). Yes, playing the piano or being able to sing pretty is nice, but it doesn't help you . . .(any more than my talents) in Missionary work, or even in the real world. My skills . . . in social situations is what enables me to reach people and connect with them on whatever level they are on! This week, I am thankful for coming on my mission so I can fully realize what God has gifted me with. It is a truly humbling experience to see that God really does care and that He really did know what we were going to experience in this life. The more and more I study and realize things, the more I realize (how) full(y). . .He loves me."Stewart is still in Provo and working at the Provo Canyon School for Boys. There are several campuses and I'm not sure which one he is at. He is thrilled that Erika's recent departure gave him the opportunity to have the use of a C A R. Happy days are here again! Erika no longer felt the need for her royal chariot (a.k.a. the maroon 1994 Cutlass Cierra from the Felsted home in Georgia) when she decided to leave academia and head for more domestic aspirations. The semi-trusty steed is now in Stewart's trembling hands. They tremble because he realizes that this car is a one-man vehicle. She will run beautifully and FOREVER for Scott, who knows precisely how to tune, adjust, tweak, and massage that little Morgan. The car stopped running suddenly about 2 months ago. Erika had the thing towed to a shop and they replaced this and that, flushed something here and there and for $700 it was running again. The shop couldn't believe how fabulous the engine and transmission were for such an old car. They don't know Scott. Cierra ran for two days and then died again. Scott went to a Felsted family reunion in late July and took time to go to Provo and work on the car himself. He simply didn't have the time to crawl over every nook and cranny of the thing. Erika was going to sell the car to the junk yard, but, thankfully, didn't get to it. Scott and I had it towed to a different shop (a GREAT little Mom and Pop outfit that we found in March) and authorized an autopsy for which we would pay. Bless this Terry Larsen's heart, he crawled underneath the car and found that a bit of insulation on a wire had rubbed off and if the wire was jolted just right, it would hit the underside of the car and short the entire car out. It didn't happen all the time; just when it was most inconvenient. So, he re-wrapped the wire in insulation and reattached it and drove the car around and around. He is our kind of auto mechanic. He cannot bear to not know WHY a car is not working, and will keep at it until he figures it out. Car fixed! Well worth the $154.01 for a tow AND repair. This little filly may run forever! Now Stewart will be able to work more shifts. The last time I talked with him, he was planning on attending BYU in the fall while working concessions during the football games and working at the Boys Ranch. Good for him! Thankfully, he says marriage is not in his immediate future. I'll check back with him in a week. People in his age bracket tend to change plans on a dime. Just make it your dime, thanks.
Ruth has always been our child to have the most exciting adventures. She was engaged to a young man last year, they broke it off, she went to Virginia to sell pest control during this summer, her boss felt inclined to give her a plane ticket to Utah, she moved to Provo and worked for a call center. She paid for 3 months rent (including the security deposit) for $500 and enjoyed being independent all summer. All good things must come to an end, so, Ruth's lease is up today, her job dried up, she has empty pockets, but she is never down and out! Ruth had applied to work for the Rockin' R Ranch (that is where we went for a Barrus Family reunion two reunions ago) about a month ago and had a successful phone interview. She never heard anything back from them so she continued applying for every job she could find. Suddenly, last Friday, she received a text from the Rockin' R Ranch, asking if she was still interested in the job. She enthusiastically replied, "Yes!" They asked how long she would be available to work for them. She answered that her plans were fluid, but that she believed she would be available from now through next summer. So, Ruth has a personal interview today in Antimony, Utah. This girl is incredible. I should be worried about Ruth, but every time I drop to my knees and plan on pouring my heart out in mighty prayer about Ruth, I feel the Lord extend His hand, palm toward me, to say, "This one is mine. Leave her to me." Peace descends and I get up and go about my business. If this job works out it could be a great thing. She thinks she wants to professionally work with horses. This job is about helping to run the ranching operation, mainly while visitors are not there, so she should have ample opportunity to get to know horses and if she wants to work with them as a career. Shoveling manure, throwing hay bales, cooking for hungry men, living in fairly remote locations in rustic conditions, and walking, walking, walking, sound like a great recipe for healthy growth. If any of my children can do it, Ruth can! I repeat; Ruth is incredible. Observing Ruth has often left me with a slack jaw as I stand in frank amazement. It is not always comfortable watching how life turns out so differently than how you envisioned it! Heavenly Father's plan is so much more varied and interesting, and I know it is also much better. Go Ruth!
Stacy spent the summer completing her math and science class that didn't go well in her freshman year, and enjoyed her two breaks of Girls' camp and EFY. Girls' camp went well, but Stacy came home from EFY with a BAD case of He-Is-The-One. He-Is-The-One returned the feeling about Stacy. He-Is-The-One is a recent high school graduate and cattle rancher in Florida. He is preparing to serve a mission. Despite his preparations he was able to find time to incessantly call Stacy on the phone. A couple of times a day, and for a couple of hours at a time, our phone was commandeered by the two of them. Stacy LOVED it. For about 1 week. Finally, she said she was sick of talking to someone who only had, "You are so beautiful" to say. After two weeks of his calling, Stacy began to avoid his calls and screwed up her courage to tell him the way the wind blew. Thankfully, Stacy is older and wiser for the experience and for once I was able to keep my mouth shut and let nature run its course. Stacy is a mighty, mighty high school senior this year and is finally getting her driver's license! Hallelujah! I can't believe that I didn't work harder to have her get her license a year ago! It sure would have made my life easier. I honestly couldn't remember WHY I hadn't made this happen a year ago. The I realized that I had THREE more young adult children living with me only 4 1/2 months ago. Oh, yeah. I was so embroiled in their drama, that Stacy's reasonable need to get a driver's license had been ignored. Sheesh! Will I ever get this right ? Stacy is still usually my reliable, responsible young adult that actually notices MY needs on a regular basis. I don't think I have ever had a child so aware of the fact that parents sometimes need a break while they are carrying elephants on their back. Oh, how I love that girl!
Something has happened to Rose. I have been watching it happen for years, but all of a sudden the reality of it hit me hard. Rose has grown up. She is 5' 8" and bigger than I am in every way. She takes care of her needs and wants without my help, thank you very much. No really, I mean it--THANK YOU VERY MUCH. This is made manifest in several ways. She is always dressed nicely, with her hair styled, her make-up done flawlessly. She bakes treats for the neighbors just because she wants to make others happy. She makes her own social calendar and reads good books 'just because she should.' Her school work is always done beautifully and on time, with no reminding from me. She can make dinner unaided and regularly asks for the privilege. Another strange thing is happening with Rose. For the past three years, our piano has been the victim of continual assaults from a thick tapestry of venomous verbal abuse, hurled from Rose's mouth, concerning the negative aspects of having to learn to play the piano. The piano has been patient, biding its time, waiting for revenge. It has begun to exert its powerful magnetic force to draw Rose to it several times during the day. At any time, day or night, as if there is no method or thought behind it, Rose drops helplessly to the piano bench and her bent fingers reach for the keys. Beautiful, often mournful, tones briefly fill the house, and then are gone. This pattern repeats itself several times during the day. I have learned to stay away from the living room because it seems to happen more often if I am elsewhere. And I have also learned to be a silent partaker of the gift. If I happen to mention that I enjoy whatever it is she is playing, I am rewarded with an unrecognizable, painful grunt, the music stops and I think I see Quasimodo slowly drawing himself up the stairs toward her room. It is nearly unbearable listening (DONOT WATCH) her practice a new piece. Because it is new, she doesn't know it. In frustration and anguish she hurls herself from the piano bench in writhing and gnashing of teeth. But, she cannot help herself. Soon, muttering ugly epitaphs, she is at the piano again with another attempt at the piece. This is her pattern until she finally masters the piece. Then, we hear that piece unceasingly for weeks on end. Rose is a wonder to me.
Caroline seems to get ripped off on a regular basis. Her entire life has been spent surrounded by numberless concourses of young adults who have needed fires put out along their roads to independence. i.e., Liz came home from college 'for a semester' and ended up staying 'temporarily' in Caroline's room for TWO YEARS. I don't remember that she has ever had a birthday party. This year was going to be different! Caroline has been waiting for the blessed day when she would turn 11 years old because that is the time that we begin to allow SOME sleepovers. On September 5, 2012, she turns 11 years old and, of course, she will have a birthday sleepover party. Unbeknownst to me, she has been planning the food, games, decorations, etc., for months. Caroline had selected Friday, September 7th for the big party. I knew Scott and I would be going to Arizona on September 6, and knowing how deflating it is to have a birthday party AFTER your birthday, I had planned on having the party the week BEFORE her birthday. The Friday before her birthday is August 31st. A couple of weeks ago I was looking at the family calendar and noticed that September 7th had been covered in Caroline's handwriting. Guests names, dinner plans, refreshment options, games, and decorations covered the date. Oops! I approached Caroline with caution and explained that Dad and I would be gone and couldn't we have her party on August 31st? Emily was coming to visit on Aug 21st, but was leaving on Aug 30th. August 31st should be open so we could dedicate the entire day to obliging her every whim. She was visibly disappointed to have to change her plans because SOMEONE ELSE in the family had a pressing need, but she manned up and we changed the date. Erika, in surprise move to us, decided to get married suddenly, and August 31st was the only date that Emily could possibly be in town for it. When we broke the news to Caroline she listened in stunned silence and her face (notably her Clark nose) grew dark red. She stepped from the kitchen onto the deck and withdrew herself to the furthest corner. She was draped over the railing, sobbing. Her plans were once again moved because of someone else's greater need. The rest of the remaining Felsted crew made a pact, then and there, to do whatever it took to make Caroline's birthday party amazing. She has invited 10 friends to come. They are making tin foil dinners outside in our fire pit and I bought these giant mashmallows to roast over the fire. They will have soda, in cans (that is apparently a thrill), and cupcakes and ice cream will be served while we sing "Happy Birthday!" And boy, will we mean it! The girls will play on the trampoline and our huge, commercial swings. Scott bought lawn darts (jarts) and has sneakily volunteered to play "There is a Bear Over There." If Scott is in charge it will be a winner. The girls are going to sleep in a tent in the backyard and watch a movie in the tent, with popcorn. Scott and I will sleep in the guest bedroom downstairs so that we are in easy reach. For breakfast, Caroline has requested cinnamon rolls and bacon. Sounds reasonable to me. Hopefully she will want a nap the next day, because I'm sure gonna need one. I'm OLD!
Caroline went back to public school this year. She started school three days ago and is in hog heaven. The first day of school she and I woke up at 5 a.m. She had already made her lunch and laid out her clothes the night before, so she was ready in about 5 minutes. We ate breakfast and read scriptures while everyone else slept like the dead. At 7 a.m. she and I went out to wait for the bus. She burst gleefully through the door that afternoon. She LOVED school! She couldn't wait to go to bed that night so that she could get up the next day and go back to school. I was so happy for her. She has a terrific teacher and all three LDS girls in 5th grade are in her class. Wow! The Lord loves Caroline and He loves me.
Scott is doing wonderfully. To recap: He lost his very good job last summer. He got a job soon after, but at a significantly reduced pay. He had another company begging him to work for them for a lot more money. He talked to his boss about leaving and going to the new company. His boss offered him even more money than the new job. Scott eventually decided to stay with the company he is currently with. He hasn't had to travel for three months and his not travelling has been a god-send for our family. We haven't had him home for dinner and many other important family events for a long, long time. It has been a good thing. He now works from home 3-4 days a week. We love it. And we also love that he is making good money again. Milk and bread in the same week!
Scott had a period of time where he wasn't able to help many people with their car troubles because he was gone so much. That has rectified itself of late and it feels so good to be giving in that way again. Just last night he had a single mother and her teenage son over here. They brought both of their cars and a computer for Scott to fix. Scott taught the young man how to fix his mother's car and then helped him do it. An hour's worth of work and the mother's car was good to go. Scott then turned his attention to the young man's car. The young man had recently bought this used car to take to college, but of course, it was used, so it had issues. It hadn't passed emission inspection. Could Scott find out why and work his magic to help it pass? Scott crawled over, under, around and through that car. He noted and tweaked this, that, and the other. Scott was so good to point out the problems to the young man, and then hand the young man the tools and watch him fix it. Two hours into fixing this young man's car, I wandered out to see if I could be of assistance to the young man. Sometimes Scott has a hard time letting a car go home if it is not perfect and his unwitting victims can become catatonic listening to his last minute instructions. My sweat-drenched husband was just teaching the young man how to replace the windshield wipers, and was pointing out that someone had hootchee-fatched the wipers linkage, so that was the cause of such and such, and you could fix it if you did got this part and put it on like this. The sweet boy was paying strict attention and was looked more than happy to endure an in-depth lecture on windshield wiper linkage in exchange for a vehicle that would pass inspection. Scott moved to the trunk where he had noticed a small flaw in one of the screws holding a tail light on. He kept up his instructions as he refastened it and unthinkingly started cleaning parts of the car. The young man was very appreciative of Scott's experienced help which produced an emissions-worthy vehicle. When the young man drove away it was 10 p.m. As I helped Scott pick up his tools in the dark and put things away, I thought, "To help the fatherless and the widow; this is pure religion." Scott is very good at helping anyone at anytime with his talents. Scott reminded me last night that his Dad had taken all of the fatherless, inactive boys in his ward under his wing and had taught them to fish, tie flies, or how to repair things. Scott told me that he likes to think that he is doing that same thing for the boys he has been able to help. Scott's dad had been a fatherless and inactive boy. I'm grateful that he reached out to those in his sphere of influence and helped them feel loved and important in the way he could. And I am very grateful that Scott has that same heart to lift where he can. I love that man.
Things are good because God is good. We cannot fail if we refuse to keep trying. Life is good in Georgia and I thank you for prodding me to write down happenings in my life. I am grateful every single time I do because this record helps me remember the good things and toss out the bad. I love you, family. We are a good family. We just have to keep trying!
Love you, love you, love you
Scott and Chris
No comments:
Post a Comment