Dear Family,
My does time go! A few days ago I had a most delightful conversation with Julie, only to ask myself after hanging up “when did I last talk to Julie?” Sorry to say, memory was of no help. Any hoot, here is an update of doings for the past few months.
Houses have their own form of “wear and tear” like cars. The older the house, the more noticeable, visible and nagging those flaws become. One day I went to turn the faucet on in the upstairs bathroom, only to have it fall apart in my hands. As I looked at the pieces in my hand, I noticed the longstanding cracks in the sink were bigger! The downstairs bathroom did not escape scrutiny either. The tub had a two year hole due to permanent rusting underneath which has been patched and re-patched. It’s like a cancer spreading right before my very eyes.
There’s only so long one can ignore things like this in a 34 year old house. So….after careful research, thought and prayer I replaced the vanity and cabinet in the upstairs bathroom and redid the downstairs bathroom complete with a shower stall, new wall and floor tile, culminating the project with a new paint job. I have to say it was loads of fun picking out coordinating colors for everything. When I inspected everything afterwards, my heart brimmed over with gratitude for money to make these changes possible. I also felt a greater appreciation for roommates who adapted without complaints to sharing one bathroom or brushing teeth leaning over the kitchen sink or tub. What a troop I’ve got.
In June our stake got a major overhaul. The stake president informed everyone at a stake-wide fireside that we had gained over 700 new families in the past three years! That was a big surprise. Anyway, to make a long story short, a new ward was created, boundaries changed throughout the stake, five new Bishops called and Lee finding himself in another ward from mine. It felt mighty strange sitting by myself the first Sunday after the changes were made.
Shortly after the changes, I received a call from a member of the bishopric one early Sunday morning, asking if I could meet with him. I have been teaching the CTR 7’s for a little over two years which I enjoyed, because it gave me opportunities to prepare students for baptism. Well, a different sort of call was extended to be the ward music chairman. Wow! I haven’t done that since my Provo days with two little girls in tow. Looking back, it was the most enjoyable calling I’ve ever had. So I pick hymns, lead the music, find special musical numbers and act as a resource to the bishopric for music callings in the ward.
This summer I have been tutoring a nine year old girl who is two years behind academically. She has had some serious behavior issues inhibiting progress in school. I had her in my primary class so recognize what challenge social settings have been for her. When I’m not doing daily tutoring, I am volunteering for a hospital in the area. I keep busy providing clerical, staff and patient support for Same Day Surgery and GI Lab. My favorite thing to do is wheel patients out to their cars when they are officially discharged.
July highlight was attending a baptism for one of my primary kids before I was officially released from primary. The talks were wonderful, particularly the one on the Holy Ghost. The student’s aunt, who gave the talk, used an analogy of a traffic stop light. She explained that when our choices are good and right, green light shines bright with confirmations such as warm, fuzzy feelings. Yellow represented feelings of caution or think it through before acting. Finally red signaled danger, strong warning, don’t go there types of feelings. The important thing stressed was to listen, watch and act carefully so the Holy Ghost would always be present with messages of “safe to act.”
The greatest boost to my summer was attending the endowment session for a young man whom I’ve known since he was 10 years old. A family in my ward made me an “adoptive grandma” years ago shortly after marital separation. This has been a wonderful, vitalizing experience for me. The family has included me in their family outings, special events such as baptisms and Christmas even flying me sometimes to where their family was temporarily living while on work assignment; not to mention giving me opportunities to help and sustain their family during births of children etc. So, attending Allan’s endowment session was no exception. In fact, after changing into whites, I was “intercepted and escorted” by a temple worker who proudly announced to other temple workers around her that I was the “adoptive grandma” going to the temple president’s office to join Allan’s parents and other grandparents to participate in prep for Allan’s endowments. The experience I will cherish forever. It was like the Lord giving me His tender mercies in the form of “making up the difference” by healing the ache for a missed daughter’s endowment experience years ago.
That sums up doings for awhile. Like the rest of you, consistency in writing family letters is not a strong suit. Yes, Ruth is absolutely right, family letters are important family connections, particularly where we are spread out so wide and far. Even if family members miss a month or two, like me, doing a synopsis still can be an emotional connection for everyone. Cousins, you are the most important part of the family tree, for you will carry on the lighted torch of continuity after parents, aunts and uncles join grandparents on the other side. We admire you righteous sons and daughters of God, we have faith that you can and will carry the torch of posterity. That is my hope for our strong, pioneer Barrus heritage.
Much love,
Ann
No comments:
Post a Comment