Tuesday, October 16, 2012

BYUI Pathways, Out Together (Not Church), YW Fun

My dear Family,

I am sitting here with a big ole’ cold sore trying to come through my bottom lip. I think it is trying to replace the one that was trying to burst out of my upper lip that I put the kibosh on with some medicine. Stress must be in the air.

Emma and I have now been in the BYUI Pathways program for four weeks now and it is a bit of work. I think the hardest for both of us, which really isn’t that hard, just annoying, is recapping after our class on Thursday night. We have to find someone to talk about what we learned for the week and report our conversation and what insights the other person gained. Don’t be surprised if you get a phone call from one of us begging for your help. We have eight weeks left of school. For our religion credits Emma attends Institute after we go to our other class. Meanwhile back at the ranch I get to not only read my scriptures and the student manual but post my reading log, write two papers, post two things I’ve learned from my reading, respond to three other posts, memorize a scripture every other week, work on my practicum and report my progress each week. Between the two classes I feel like I haven’t left the house for weeks. Why am I doing this, you may ask? And you may well ask. I just don’t feel like I could be much more than a Wal-Mart greeter if I needed to get a job. Sure, I got my bachelor degree but it is pretty useless after 33 years. We’ll see what the future brings.

Emma, Bob and I actually went on a date. I can’t tell you the last time we went somewhere all together besides church. We went up to the Big E which is supposed to stand for expo, but there wasn’t much expo . That was disappointing. It mostly consisted of rides – we bought 25 tickets and rode until they were all gone. Yup. That meant three rides. We tried to find displays representing the different states but were sorely disappointed. We saw a chick hatchery, a few pigs, llamas and ……like I said, there wasn’t much to see. However there were three buildings of things to buy; everything from jewelry to back massage cushions. Bob ended up getting suckered into buying some shoe inserts for his aching feet that were really just gel packs. I was embarrassed that he fell for the ploy but we had Emma shouting in the background how fabulous they were. There went 25 dollars down the drain. I’m sure you can figure out where those inserts ended up. We had a good time anyway and it was so nice to be out with each other.

Thank you to my marvelous family and that they like to have fun. I have learned so many fun games from you. Last Wednesday night for YMYW we had a mini-lesson on Unity. We’ve been having a little trouble with the kids being rude to one another. And then we played “Do You Love your Neighbor?” and the “Couch Game”. We have got to get a better name for that last game. After the initial chill and getting over being embarrassed they had a ball. The wanted to keep playing but it was time for doughnuts and cider. At the end of the Couch Game everyone had to say something nice about the person whose name they had drawn. This one young man had drawn the name of one of the young women who happens to be a year younger than him and is gorgeous and nice. His face reddened so nicely and he could not say anything about her. It was hysterical. I did not laugh or mock as I tried to help him out. You would have been proud. I would consider that activity a success as I watched them relax and play with one another and come out of their cliques.

There are so many phrases from General Conference that evoke thoughts on eternal things; “I am a Mormon”, “Will you sell your soul for a nickel”, ”The bees depend on each other”, “Yes, Sergeant”. There are many more as you all know. What a great teaching tool the Lord has given us to help us along the way home. We send our love to each of you. Thank you for your love in return.

Love,
Bob, Ruth and Emma Emma Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment