Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Provo Visit, Bedroom Updates, Want a Pet?

Dear wonderfully large family,

Lately we have been doing the usual fall activities, such as cleaning out the garden, putting the pumpkins on the front porch, and harvesting the last of the green peppers, butternut squash, and pears. We wrapped the last 150 green tomatoes in newspaper to ripen as we move into winter.

Last weekend we stayed over at Andrew and Willow’s new apartment in Provo with Alex and April. We got some fabulous Thai take out and played games. Saturday morning we hiked the ‘Y’. After all these years I had wanted to do that so they were all very accommodating. It was a short but VERY steep hike. Curt was disappointed at how ugly it was up close. In the afternoon we browsed through the exhibits at the BYU art museum, the “MOA” as it is now called by students. We finished just in time for the women to enjoy the R.S. broadcast. An appropriate end to our activities was a visit to the Creamery.

Curt finally got his wish to venture out of his weekday routine and 1 mile radius restrictions. Curt works from home and the car is usually gone. (There have been times when he has been so desperate for variety that he walks to Carl’s Jr.) Curt went to Texas to give some presentations for work. The business side went well but he hates the socializing. While Curt was gone I decided to update April’s bedroom from blue, pink, purple, lime green and kittens to blue, cherry red, yellow, and soft green. I sewed a bed skirt, curtains, pillows and dresser scarf. Then I painted her chair and mirror. Marie and I went out shopping for a few new things to hang on the walls and book shelves. I didn’t quite get done when Curt got home but he has been cheerful (?) at helping me reupholster a cushion for the chair and has been putting a new top, trim and legs on the night stand for me. It isn’t April’s favorite but she is accommodating and it is nice to have a fresh look in there.

Amy is going to have a little girl sometime after the New Year. That will make one boy and three girls for her. Today we will find out what Willow and Andrew will be having. That makes 6 grandchildren for me. I can’t even fathom having 52+. For now, six will be just right.

I am disappointed to report that I still have two cats and one dog. I called the vet to set an appointment to have one of my cats put to sleep. The receptionist asked me “would you like to be with the cat when the Dr. administers the drug?” (yes- I felt I owed her at least that) and “would they be disposing of the body?”(yes)” At this point I was feeling a bit uncomfortable. I felt I had to explain WHY I felt I needed to do this. You see, the cat is perfectly healthy…it has been spayed and has all four paws declawed (leather furniture and kittens do not make a good combination). The problem, I explained was that this cat drools when petted and it seeks me out continually. I can’t handle the cat hair and I am sick of cleaning out the cat litter box. The cat is only 6 years old..that means another 7-8 years of this!!!!! Realizing this is SELFISH, I went on to further explain that I really was trying to think of the cat. If I just gave it to a shelter, she is so plain and ordinary she would probably live month after month in a cage. And she usually hisses and swats when she is not happy with whatever is going on. The receptionist understood. She told me about some places that have a no-kill policy…the ‘real’ Humane Society. Those animals that aren’t adopted get sent to a ‘farm’ in Kanab somewhere and live out their lives. BUT…she went on to say, if I decide that I want them to take care of it, just call back and she will set up an appointment. I conclude by saying that I still have two cats and one dog. April told me if I prayed and fasted and still felt good about it, then she has my blessing to be a ‘cat killer’. I was a firm believer that if you adopt an animal it should be for their life-time. I am still haunted by the fact I had Curt take our beagle to the shelter years ago instead of getting it the help it needed. SOMEDAY I am going to have to see those animals and I feel so guilty.

Well, enough about my inner struggles and the deep eternal significance of putting a cat ‘to sleep’.

Love to each of you,
Aunt Susan & Uncle Curt

No comments:

Post a Comment