Thursday, April 11, 2013

Dallas-Forth Worth Christmas, Snow, Terrific Plays, Eleanor's Baptism

Dear Family,

I guess I am following instep with some of the rest of you by “recapping” the past few months. In some ways it seems easier because then I’m not sitting at the computer wondering what to write that will be of interest for the month, which often happens to me. When I look back since I wrote last (which I’m embarrassed to say I can’t remember the last time I wrote!), a lot has happened.

In December Lee and I took a trip back down to Dallas-Forth Worth for Christmas to see Robert/Angie, Aunt Monna and some of her children that live in the area. We had a great time. One day we went to an art museum and lunch with Robert in tow with his wonderful family. I think my favorite pictures were the western ones. There was one picture of Daniel Boone rescuing his daughter from Indians. As I looked at the picture I was stunned to discover that Daniel Boone had a family! Boy, where was I when I studied American history.

On my birthday Lee and I had a double date with Robert and Angie to celebrate both our birthdays. It was a lot of fun reminiscing and chatting about the future. I learned more about Robert’s employment adventures and Angie’s saga with chaperoning kids here and there. They indicated Paulette is really enjoying BYU-Provo. Who wouldn’t? I know some of my fondest memories are about BYU way back when.

The funniest part of our trip is how the snow followed us from place to place, so it seemed. As we pulled out of the driveway of Lee’s home to drive to Spokane it began to snow! We already knew Spokane had snow from checking weather reports so this surprised us a little. Little did we know that upon arrival into Spokane, where our flight was originating from, the snow would be deeper than anticipated? Whoa! It wasn’t just a little, it was a lot.

Early the next morning when we got ready to leave the motel, we discovered Lee’s car buried in snow. He managed to scrape off some of it with his bare hands (apparently couldn’t find gloves) enough to move the car closer to the motel. The driver of the shuttle had to dig his van out before he could take several of us to the airport, which was a full load.

When it came time to board our flight it became apparent that there were problems of ice and snow on the runway, so it was a delayed boarding. Once everyone was on board, we sat another hour and half on the plane. I fell asleep during that time and when I awoke, I immediately looked out my window to find us still sitting by the gate! It dawned on me then that we would be missing our connection in Salt Lake. Oh well.

Take off was finally announced and we arrived in Salt Lake over an hour after our connection. As soon as we got off the plane we headed for a help desk to get connections arranged for Dallas-Fort Worth. Turns out we had almost a four hour wait so the airlines gave both of us meal vouchers. That was actually a treat. Halfway through the four hour wait period it started to snow hard in Salt Lake! We looked at each other saying “I think the snow is following us”. Not on purpose, of course.

Eventually we arrived in Dallas-Fort Worth safe and sound. After getting settled in, we had a lovely taco soup supper with Alicia and her family next door to Aunt Monna. It was fun visiting that first night. As we left her house to walk me back to Aunt Monna’s for the night, Lee and I noticed it snowing again. By morning it had left I think about an inch of snow on the ground which remained for a good couple of days. Robert said the “snow following” as Lee and I called it made Marina Joy very, very happy.

As I mentioned Lee and I joined Robert and Angie for some activities as well as activities with Aunt Monna’s children Alicia and Paul. We played “Skip Bo” several nights in a row at Alicia’s. Lee discovered he really likes the card game, having never played it before. It was also nice to just sit and relax playing the piano or reading good magazines. We also had fun going with Aunt Monna to look for a replacement shower door. So, all in all it was a terrific week.

February and March found us going to two terrific plays and a musical program. In February the BYU Young Ambassadors visited the Tri-Cities with song and dance. The theme was “The Harmony of Life”. It was about growing up and the things we learn along the way. Lee, being the singer that he is and loving it, often sang along with the performers. He was careful not to sing too loud, just loud enough for me to notice. I didn’t mind because that’s when I see Lee the happiest.

Then in March came the plays. The first one was “The Unsinkable Molly Brown”. It was performed by a fantastic group called the “Mid-Columbia Music Theatre”. They did an excellent job. Lee was surprised, however, that I had never seen a movie or play about it until we went to see it. He told me just a little of the story line to get me perked up. At the end of the play, I turned to Lee and said “Wow, it was really a story about a woman wanting material things and status, only to learn after a tragic experience that those things really do not matter……only relationships.

The second play we saw was in Utah at a beautiful middle school. Aralia, Connie’s daughter participated in a school play “Bye Bye Birdie”. The students did an amazing job! I was really impressed. It was such a neat experience seeing Aralia dancing with the other teen girls in the play. I was really proud of Aralia when it finished.

Saturday morning after the play Lee and I met at Connie’s ward building to witness the baptism of her daughter Eleanor. It was wonderful to be a part of it as the pianist. During changing time I had the opportunity to play special music comprised of children’s preludes that I had put together for the occasion. The only funny experience I had was playing the piano from the back of the room with everyone’s backs facing me! It felt kind of strange, having never played a piano from that vantage point. Connie did an excellent job leading the opening and closing songs with Sherry and Tammy providing excellent counsel about baptismal covenants and receiving and keeping the Holy Ghost with you. It was an experience to cherish.

Now that Lee and I have returned from our adventurous life, we are back to the mundane of bills and other busy things. Hopefully we can find other opportunities to interrupt that life to enjoy the blessings of seeing and doing things to remind us of just how neat life is. There is so much to be thankful for: the beauties of nature, relatively good health, a temple nearby, friends and family. Even though Lee is the only member of his family, he has siblings that call and talk with him at least a couple times per month.

General Conference, as usual was absolutely wonderful. I especially felt the Sunday morning session was just for me in so many ways. I can’t wait for the May Ensign so I can study those particular talks. Anyway, time to close this sage of news and hit the sack. Spring break is over and time to get back to work. Keep the faith, endure to the end and safeguard covenants made at baptism and in the temple. I love all of you and hope you find joy in your respective journeys through life.

Love, (Aunt) Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment