Thursday, April 11, 2013

Not Weather, School Work, "A", Idyllic Childhood, Easter Dinner Near-Miss

Dear Family,

Since everyone is tired of hearing about the weather, I will move on to …….. Oh, sorry, there is nothing to talk about but the weather here in Connecticut. Unless you want to talk about the new gun laws that will now more than likely affect the rest of the nation. But that discussion is too volatile. So, I will just report that everything is status quo. Nothing to report that is of interest; no changes on the eastern front.

Emma and I have finished our second semester of BYUI Pathways. This past semester’s class was English, which is offered in the hopes that we, the students will become more expressive and expansive in our writings. I was not happy about things at the beginning – I honestly didn’t think I would do well, but Emma and I both ended the class with “A”s. Our next and last semester in this program will contain a math class about personal finance. Aren’t you jealous? We may end the semester debt-free with all the knowledge I hope to learn and utilize. Our last religion class will be Teachings of the Prophets. I think this will be a good class also as I haven’t taken a class like this since I went to college. Do I dare confess that I am starting to enjoy learning? When I look at these last two semesters, I realize that it isn’t the class that I recoil from, but from getting graded on my learning. Tonight for our last class in English we are to bring the last paper we wrote and share it reading it aloud to everyone. No can do. Too much exposure for me. We’ll see how that pans out. And, no, I won’t send it along. It’s embarrassing to have people read your writings and know your inner thoughts. I never could write about those hard feelings that are close to the heart. Instead I wrote about why YW should wear slips, being battered by rogue waves on my first visit to the ocean, and other frivolous things. When other’s shared their papers (for we would read each other’s in small groups correcting grammar or looking for run-on sentences) I was surprised they didn’t mind sharing about being raped, growing up in a hoarder’s environment, having a brother in jail for allegedly killing his child, etc. Lucky me. And I truly mean it. I was raised in an idyllic, loving home. How are people able to get past those horrid experiences and live good lives? The answer is the gospel. It really is. Having faith in Christ and His ability to bear all things and take away the sting is an incredible principle.

I forgot all about Easter dinner this year. I was so busy with the YW and ward activities that I forget until Sunday morning that it even was Easter. I must confess we had white sauce with ham on toast for lunch/dinner with strawberries and green beans. Nothing spectacular but it did remind me of home.

Love to all you cutie-patooties,
Bob, Ruth, and Emma Jane-Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment