Dear Loved Ones:
A recap of the past three months:
January:
I had the supreme privilege of accompanying Thomas, Marianne and Lillian to the BYU campus for a performance of “Phantom of the Opera.” The production was excellent—cleverly staged and directed, and the acting and singing were first-rate. We were humming “Phantom” tunes for weeks!
John attended a medical conference in southern California the last weekend of the month (I tagged along), and we were able take his mother to dinner one night, then meet Dave and Cole plus kids for dinner another night. We borrowed Kat and Keira for a sleepover at the hotel. While John suffered through lectures on Saturday morning, we “girls” slept in, ate doughnuts for breakfast, and spent the rest of the morning playing “beauty parlor’ with manicures and fresh hairdos. I enjoyed returning to the Los Angeles Temple on Saturday afternoon, and attending Sunday meetings at the Sepulveda Ward.
February:
Dave and Megumi flitted to Chicago for an anniversary weekend and (gasp) left John and me in charge of their children. They were wonderful to be with! On Saturday, they were given a choice of going to a movie or staying home and making paper bead bracelets—since they love to watch movies, I thought I knew what they would choose—and we spent an entire afternoon making beads and then stringing the beads onto heavy elastic. Thomas made a truly beautiful bracelet for his mom.
John attended another medical conference –this time in Hawaii—and darn it, I had to accompany him! It was blissful to leave the cold and snow for eight days of sunshine and warmth. I had plenty of time to read and relax during the lectures, and John and I spent afternoons getting re-acquainted with the Big Island. We always enjoy attending Church meetings in Kona, and I am still taken aback at the ward members’ astonishment that we stay for the entire meeting block. Before Relief Society, one sister said, “I’m surprised that you stayed,” and I blurted out “Well, where else would I be?” which was a source of amusement for her and her friends. We also look forward to attending an endowment session in the Kona Temple—the workers are always attentive and kind, and the numbers of people in each session are smaller than we are see in the Provo Temple.
We loved participating in all parts of Abby’s wedding—the privilege of witnessing her sealing, enjoying family and good food at the wedding breakfast, visiting with Curtis extended family members and friends, helping keep the drink containers and the cupcake platters filled at the reception. A wonderful, glorious day!
March:
I completed a concealed weapon class and applied for my permit. Now, I need some help selecting and purchasing a weapon, and then I need to practice firing it so that I am comfortable and competent, not a danger to myself or others (I won’t share the details here, but I had a “run-in” with Adam’s Glock when we lived in Midway that still has me shaking).
I am appreciative of assignments to work at the Cannery (this month we canned beef chunks), opportunities to help in the Provo Temple Laundry, and especially, my calling to serve at the MTC. It has been interesting as well as a testimony builder to watch the necessary changes and refinements in all of the departments as we strive to serve the rapidly increasing numbers of missionaries since President Monson’s 2012 October announcement concerning the lowering of the ages of eligibility for young people.
Senior missionaries have caught “the fever”, too. It is routine to see more than 100 of them each Monday when they check in to the MTC.
April:
News flash!!!! J.C. and Beki welcomed little James Wyatt to the world April 8, 2013. He weighed in at 6 lb. 13 oz.; J.C. described him as “rangy” and thought he might be “ginger haired” like his sister, Kailee. Beki “The Amazing” delivered this baby (like the others) with no anesthesia.
Oh, how we love each member of this magnificent family! We pray for you. We rejoice in your good news, and hurt for your sorrows. We have confidence in your abilities to master your challenges, and are grateful for the testimonies of true principles manifest in your lives. Thank you for your love for us.
Till next month,
Uncle John and Aunt Carole
No comments:
Post a Comment