Thursday, May 30, 2013

Reid's Wedding, "Photo Scavenger Hunt" Missionary Work, Green Grass

My dear family,

How can I express the feelings of great support for Reid and Rachelle’s wedding? Everything went so smoothly, there was peace and spiritual outpouring, and I could swear I felt Grandpa Barrus there in the sealing room with us. A special thank you goes to Erika for making the wedding cake and all the pretty little cupcakes. I was also appreciative of Stewart taking Reid’s car, checking the oil and filling it full of gas. As usual, the best part was the temple ceremony, watching Rachelle and Reid’s faces as they looked at each other across the altar. There was pure joy written on their faces. Again, just having family around me, made the day special as so many of you were able to come to different things. Thank you for your time and expressions of love.

I never knew that Marianne and Thomas were such good Mathew, Mark, Luke and John players. They held their own against the adults in all the games we played. They are a force to be reckoned with. Thank you, Jean and Bruce, for playing host to game night. It was a lot of work for you and a lot of fun for the rest of us. Thank you for each of your contributions to the yummy meal.

Last night for YW we went on a photo scavenger hunt. My team got almost all of the photos we needed, even running into my neighbor at the Big Y grocery store and dancing the Macarena with her. The icing on the cake was seeing how enthused the girls were to see who they could give a Book of Mormon away to. That was worth 50 points. The first man they tried said no, and the lady we asked said she would take it but she didn’t want her picture taken. The YW in my group were so brave to even think that was possible. I sat in the car and kept the car running (I was in a no parking zone) while they flew out of the car to run across the grass at a park. I am not as brave as that to approach a stranger and invite them to take a Book of Mormon. The girls were very proud of themselves, as they should be.

My men (the two brothers who built my wall in the back to hold the hill back) finally came and put dirt over my septic leach field (I had just sand and the grass would not grow), fixed the ruts from their machine that built the wall, and raised one of my drains in the backyard (we scalped the grass every time we mowed as the dip was so dippy). I am happy to be able to announce that “the green grass grew all around, all around, and the green grass grew all around.” Sprinkling systems are a marvel and it is a pleasure to have one to get the grass to grow. Of course living in New England and the great week we just had of rain, cool temperatures, and cloudy days have been my best friend. They also were kind enough to deliver some mulch to the driveway. They were sure eight yards were enough to cover the hill, but I had them bring three more and I am afraid I will have to go and get myself another load in our little trailer to finish up. Emma, as always, is a godsend. She and I work for about an hour, and then we rest from our labors until the next day. She and I have a pretty good rhythm going and she knows how to work hard.

Emma and I are taking Teachings of the Living Prophets for our religion class this semester, and I am grateful for it. I am reminded over and over again what a great blessing we have in modern day prophets and the revelations they have for our day. My testimony has been strengthened by the reading material and the confirmations from the Holy Ghost. 
 
I thank each one of you for steadfastness in Christ, and know He will not fail you in anything. We may fail ourselves, but He is always there to catch us if we reach out.

Love, Bob,R & EJ

No comments:

Post a Comment