Sunday, May 19, 2013

"Wedding" Families, Gloriously Humongous, Waterfall Hike, April Home

Dear Family,

Oh, goodness…Life is grand is it not?! Curt and I had such a wonderful time at Reid and Rachelle’s wedding festivities. It doesn’t get any better when you get to be in the temple with those you love most.

It had been way too long since we’d seen Austin and Taylor’s cute family. Spencer and Heather were good to let us heft around Maximus. He’s got one of those all body smiles that make you want to smile back. It was such a treat to ‘hang out’ with Grandma, Erika, Clark, Paulette, Emma, Jean, and Stewart. I guess I am a little ‘family emotional’ right now but I just couldn’t get enough of everyone.

Each time I have the privileged of attending a grandkid’s sealing I remember looking around at many of those same faces at my own….I so appreciate your steady influence in my life.

David O. McKay’s often quoted “No empty chairs” has become more important to me each year as I get “old”. I am always so grateful to be with family members that are able to be at the temple together. But isn’t it interesting that it is never quite enough unless everyone is with you. I always thought that I felt this way because I was one of the kids at the end of the family. It seemed that for many years one sister would leave the family only to leave the rest of us to adjust. I became sensitive to those changes and did not look forward to them. It always made the family different. Not necessarily bad, just different, and I liked it fine just the way it was. So….now that this family is gloriously humongous….I still want to be with everyone.

Jean and Bruce have created a new tradition (at least twice in a row qualifies for tradition). They hosted a casual dinner and games after planned wedding activities are finished. We had SUCH FUN playing game after game. Carole, Julie, Boyd, Dave’s kids, April, Abby, Erika, and Gardner’s were a riot to be with. Curt really missed out by choosing to camp out with the 11 yr. old scouts and have a five mile the next day.

Paulette and Emma stayed the rest of the weekend with April and we had a hike of our own. We hiked up to Waterfall Canyon in Ogden. It was harder than I remembered but they were VERY good not to complain. It has very large boulders on the last part of the hike. We had brought our mini-dachshund with her 3” legs and the girls took turns hefting her up and over rocks. What a gorgeous view for a reward. Paulette and April cooled off inadvertently too near the waterfall because I wanted a picture. Paulette lagged behind the girls on our way down to make sure I was okay and provided me a steady hand. I guess I really am 53. It took us about 3.5 hours. It was a treat to have the girls together.

It has been a delight to have April home and Curt is thrilled that we are having real dinners again. It has helped me get back on track and the dishwasher gets run a few more times. April had a great semester and it was bitter sweet as she looked forward to the luxuries of being home but sad to say goodbye to roommates. I picked April up from Provo on a Friday and she started work on Monday. She is a GOOD woman. She is working in a factory where they make ski goggles. It has been a bit of a challenging adjustment for her. She finds her mind wandering to the freedom she had just a “few days before” and longs for the day she will be released from bondage. Cinderella, Cinderella…..

We get to see a professional Abby most days when she takes her lunch hour break from the Orthodontics office just around the corner. She and Travis are crazy happy.

If any of you are in town – give us a call - we would love to give a hug even if it has to be fast.

Much love, Uncle Curt and Aunt Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment