Dear Family,
Since Ruth’s computer is cooperating with my plan to submit a late letter … I’d better get busy … but don’t know where to start. We haven’t written for so long. For me it has been a blur … back and forth to Canada and music, music, music. Although in between work and running to violin, piano, and organ it seems we did squeeze in a few other things.
The kids are back in school and seem to be doing fine (but I’m the dad, what do I know?!). Hannah now goes to full-day school but says it is boring. Thomas loves reading, writing, and math. Marianne is in the same class with her best friend … need I say more? Lillian likes her classes and most of her teachers. Lobbied to be in regular science as opposed to honors science so she wouldn’t have to do a science fair project … but she was assigned a science project anyway.
One of my favorite things was visiting Atlanta. I scheduled a short layover in Atlanta on my way to Montreal and Chris and company were willing to see me. Despite having been to the airport the night before and Elizabeth coming home from her mission that afternoon, Chris picked me up around 6am and drove me back to Fayetteville for a delicious breakfast and to say goodbye to Caroline, Rose, and Stacy before they headed out the door for school and work. And Scott, fresh back from Belgium (via Newfoundland) was generous enough to share his special desserts. Chris whisked me back to the airport before 9am so I could catch my next flight. Although it was a short visit, it was just what I needed – my sister has always known what to say and when to say it …
Another great (?) time was going to the BYU-Utah game with Carole. Lucky for me John didn’t feel up to walking to the stadium and up the stairs so soon after his surgery and so I got his seat and he watched the game on TV. Unfortunately BYU was unable to get its act together. Thanks, Carole!
Back in August we had a visit from my good friends Tom and Patty Hutchison from Carefree, Arizona. We did a lot of (hopefully) fun things like make s’mores in the canyon the evening they arrived, hiked to Stewart Falls on Saturday morning and had a family dinner that night. Thank you for not only joining us, Curt, Susan, John and Carole but also bringing all the good food. My friends were so impressed and touched by what a wonderful family I have. I know, I know, I take you all for granted. I wish the rest of you would have been in town. We received a call from Joe and Wendy Barrus on Friday saying they wanted to introduce their Japanese exchange student to Megumi. After driving all the way up from St. George it was hard to say “no” and so they joined us for dinner Saturday evening. I was glad they did – it was fun to catch up with them and their children. Sunday morning we took Tom and Patty up to Temple Square and to listen to the Tabernacle Choir. And after the broadcast, who should I run into outside the conference center but the best sister missionary, Sister Felsted. Liz and her companion took us on a tour of Temple Square which was wonderful. It was informative, but more than that the passion and presence of the Spirit were so appreciated (thanks, Liz!). Patty was enjoying every bit of things and asking a lot of questions but Tom was starting to look a little tired about 11:30am. Both enjoyed the choir broadcast immensely. We headed for home around noon and after they changed, packed, and had lunch they headed back south. We had a good time, shared in some serious discussions, and hopefully strengthened our feelings for one another.
Another highlight for me was going to the James Taylor concert at the conference center thank to Jean for the tickets and to my other sisters for not living close enough to get in the queue in front of me. I have been a convert since living with Ruth in Connecticut for a summer and have seen him several times. But I really enjoyed this concert with the Tabernacle Choir and Utah Symphony. Although the concert was open to non-member and member alike, it was a respectful crowd and I found myself wondering if it wasn’t the first concert he’d been to that started exactly on time and started with everyone standing in absolute silence while the First Presidency entered. Mr. Taylor is not as young as he once was and showed it early on but I thought he got stronger as he went along. I wouldn’t doubt if he felt something. It was extra enjoyable to be there with Megumi, Susan, and Jean. Thank you, Jean!
On September 27th we had a birthday party for Hannah. Megumi (and Hannah) invited 18 girls with the thought that most would not come. It was an absolutely wonderful turnout! 17 out of 18 of the girls arrived and two of them brought little sisters. 19 eating cupcakes, watching The Wizard of Oz, sliding down the stairs, and screaming throughout it all is something I will ever forget. Happy birthday, Hannah!
Thomas has found a new friend in our ward named Enoch. He always wants to go over there or have Enoch come to our home to play. A few weeks ago I took them to Trafalga to play some games and go to the batting cages. It was the first time that Enoch had touched a bat and so he didn’t hit any except the one that hit his fingers (ouch!) But he was a good sport and wants to go again. Thomas hasn’t played baseball but is a little more coordinated. He probably batted .500. He would still prefer the Wii or his Kindle but I like to get him outdoors.
General Conference was wonderful. I know I say that every year but it just seems to get better. I enjoyed Pres. Packers address on Saturday and many other words of encouragement, keys to a happy family, and lessons from the scriptures. I had not invited my friends Tom and Patty to watch, thinking 10 hours would be a little overwhelming, but had been thinking of them. I thought I might share one or two talks with them after … but after almost every talk I wrote in my notes, “share this with Patty!”
The only thing worse than flying to Canada every week is driving to Canada. When meetings in Denver didn’t materialize last week I found myself needing to go to Calgary. The short notice meant airfares were more than I was willing to pay (can you say “cheap”?) and so I decided to drive. At Megumi’s wise insistence I left after lunch and listened to the Sunday afternoon session of conference while driving. I departed after work (6:30pm) on Wednesday since the kids were out of school Thursday and Friday. The 2 ½ nights in between were spent curled up in the backseat of Nissan Versa. Being only 5’ 7” didn’t seem to make much difference … it was still less than comfortable. Don’t believe any of those “spacious cargo room” commercials.
As the kids were out of school this last Thursday and Friday, we accepted Flora’s invitation to go up to her cabin for a night. The kids absolutely loved it. Grandma was kind enough to make popcorn and chocolate cars. She was a good sport to play games and then knit, knit, knit, knit with the older girls. Megumi, Thomas, Hannah, and I decided to go fishing for a few hours. Both Megumi and Thomas caught a fish and Flora showed Megumi how to cook them and remove all the bones. Hannah spotted a large group of deer peering in our window early Saturday morning. All the kids are begging to go back. When we returned home the weather was so nice that the lawn was mowed (hopefully for the final time), the trampoline taken down, and most of the garden cleaned up.
Today was wonderful as we had the opportunity to listen to Elder Tanner Park. He delivered such a wonderful talk on Christ-like attributes. The Spirit was strong and he had quite a bit of family there to support. He will be a fantastic missionary. Thank you, Tanner, for serving. We love you!
Megumi’s father is still not up and able to get around. Megumi calls her mother several times a week to find out the latest and is always worried about her family. Megumi has been such a good help when she was back at Christmas and earlier this summer and I know spends long hours helping her mother understand options and consequences of the medical care. At present he is still in the hospital (how many weeks?) and is being fed only by IV. Sometimes her mother wants to bring him home and care for him but doing the IV herself or bathing him is out of the question. It was such a wonderful blessing for us to be with Dad a couple of years ago. I know it is hard for Megumi to have children and responsibilities here and be so far away from her family with no idea of the “when”. She is a trooper.
Not a very eventful letter … seems just like a travelogue without much feeling. We do have deep feelings for all of you … we love you all! Welcome home, Liz!
Love,
David, Megumi, Lillian, Marianne, Thomas, & Hannah
No comments:
Post a Comment