In a word, September was HARD—hard for John and hard for me.
John had a hip replacement on September 4th, and what should have been a two night stay in the hospital turned into a seven night ordeal with problems unrelated directly to the hip surgery. It was hard for John to be in terrible pain for the better part of two weeks, and it was hard for me to take care of his needs properly. In the end, we survived, and John is recovering nicely. The cane has been put back into storage (permanently, we hope) and he is back to work saving other peoples’ lives.
For me, this experience was a much-needed wake-up call of sorts, a reminder of some of the qualities I need to refine if I am ever to be celestial material. I am thankful for the help to do just that. I am grateful for the opportunity to do work in the temple and to be reminded of the Lord’s expectations as well as to hear His glorious promises as we make covenants. I was appreciative of the chance to sit with Jean and Megumi at the Women’s Broadcast on September 28 and listen to the counsel given by servants of the Lord. And I eagerly await the messages of General Conference.
Farm news: we were blessed to get a (small) third crop of hay, and even more blessed that it was not ruined by the rain which pelted the field for days after it was cut. When it finally dried enough to bale, I was blessed to be able to load all of it onto the trailer, and to have the help of our home teacher and a teenage friend from the ward to stack it in the barn. The horses have been turned out to graze until snow covers the ground, and they are happy for the freedom from their paddock.
Ah, life is truly good. Each of us is abundantly blessed with what we need. We are among the few on the earth who have the truths of the restored gospel to guide and strengthen us, and to give us hope when we despair, grieve or fall short.
How we love EACH of you! We are blessed that you are not only family but also some of our dearest friends!
With deep love,
Uncle John and Aunt Carole
No comments:
Post a Comment