This blog is used to share information about the Robert R. Barrus extended family.
Thursday, December 12, 2013
Snow!, NJ, Thanksgiving Memories, Emma Packing, YM Release
My Dear Family,
We had snow this past week like I’m sure most of the rest of you did. (Okay, so Rob and Chris didn’t have to look at the stuff.) Taylor sent me a video of the kids playing in the snow in her back yard. It could have been my own children out there as I watched the oldest pull the youngest around on a sled. The snow wasn’t much and could have been much worse. Bob got on an airplane the morning the storm came in, so he was not much help. However, his big mean snow plow machine was in the garage so I wasn’t too worried – except I have never turned it on and played with it. Emma and I didn’t get to even try the snow blower out as we had only an inch on the ground. But future snowstorms please note, we are finally prepared after three years of backbreaking labor, and we are not afraid to use it.
Thanksgiving was so pleasant. Emma had called the Johnsons in New Jersey as a surprise for me to see if they would like to come to our house for the holiday. Because two of their daughters were coming to their house, they invited us down there. It was just like old times. Lots of talking, laughing and reminiscing about the “old days”. Somehow the story came up about their son, Nathan, who was Spencer’s best friend, having to be in the hospital from cutting his finger during scouts. The boys had been making walking sticks and Nathan’s stick got bumped. He sliced into his finger instead of the wood. I had not remembered that he ended up in the hospital two days later as he had a swollen hand from a bad infection. We also recalled the time Emma had walked herself over to the Johnson’s when she was around 2 ½ yrs. old. Diane and I had taken the older kids for a walk while Emma was napping. When she awoke she decided she didn’t like being left out so she walked the ¼ mile to their house crossing a very busy road. I will not bore you with too many other stories. Let’s just say, I was glad to have someone remind me of a life I once lived a long time ago that was full of fun and peril.
This month has found us gathering Emma’s belongings as she prepares to head out to college. She can finally use that new luggage she got for graduation! We sent out the big suitcase with Bob that was filled with dishes, pots and pans, and towels. When he brings it back empty, we will stuff it with a quilt, winter coats, sweatshirts and a pillow. I am worried about Emma’s future when it is time to move from one lodging to another. How do the kids move their stuff from place to place? Can you Rent-A-Guy with a car on moving day to help you schlep your stuff around? I keep telling her she doesn’t need every T-shirt or dress but it’s hard for her to remember that if she takes it, she will have to move it. I’m sure she will be fine. I am just so far away and cannot help her the way I would like. It’s going to be awful quiet around here when she goes.
I was released last week as YW president and it has been odd these last few days. I finished up the small Christmas gifts we were giving the girls and answered a few phone calls concerning where they were supposed to go caroling on Wed, but other than that it has been rather quiet. I have been trying not to worry about the girls but it has been difficult. It’s hard to turn off that switch after two years.
I think next month should be cousin month- that would mean that all cousins would dig deep and write something just to let the old folks know you are alive and on the same planet. I know it is hard to write. We miss Grandpa and his desire to know how each of us was doing. Just pretend you are doing it for him again. The Aunties and Unclies would love to know how you are.
Love, Bob, Ruth and Emma Jane Jane
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment