Thursday, December 12, 2013

Talents, Football, Virginia, Thanksgiving at Home


Dearest Family:

I spent my November watching and appreciating others’ talents, marveling at the excellence bought by years of effort and practice:

A friend entered a horsemanship competition which was held in the Heber Arena the first weekend. On two afternoons I watched her and the other entrants as they maneuvered through an obstacle course with their horses. My friend rode a beautiful Friesian and performed beautifully. I wished Ruth were sitting by my side: she would have enjoyed the “show” and she could have shared her horse knowledge with me.

One Friday night, Brittany and her band played at a music festival in Salt Lake. I thoroughly enjoyed watching and listening to them perform. The musicality was first-rate; Brittany and her band mates are wonderful musicians and Brittany has a beautiful singing voice.


John and I sat in the bleachers at the BYU football stadium as BYU and Idaho State slogged it out through snow and cold. It was worth braving the elements because BYU won handily (and the In ‘N Out hamburger and fries eaten on the drive home were yummy).

We flew to Virginia to spend a few days with Adam and Kaylyn’s crew. We enjoyed beautiful weather and spent a lovely day at Virginia Beach. Kaylyn and I volunteered one morning in Howie’s first grade classroom. I lost a bike race to the local park, lost at playing “Horse”, was semi-successful playing Frisbee, enjoyed board games in the evenings, loved the roasted marshmallows and Caribbean ribs we shared around the firepit, and returned home rejuvenated and feeling ten years younger.

J.C. and Beki brought their darlings to Heber for Thanksgiving weekend. Brittany and Jared and Jared’s daughter Emily joined us for part of the weekend. We feasted on succulent brined turkey and other usual Thanksgiving culinary treats, gorged on pie, and played games in the evening. Friday morning, Dave and Megumi joined us for a hike around the back side of Deer Creek Reservoir before trouncing us at bowling. More games that night. Saturday, we braved the crowds to “ooh and aah” at the beautiful Christmas lights in downtown Salt Lake and on Temple Square. I returned home that night feeling very thankful for my family and feeling five years younger.

We hope each of you enjoys a joyful Christmas season and that you will feel the spirit of the season—which President Monson reminded us is the Spirit of Christ. We hope you will rejoice for the privilege of living in a day of restoration, and give thanks for the blessing of membership in our Lord’s Church.

May you each know we love and pray for you,
Uncle Johnny and Aunt Carole

No comments:

Post a Comment