Sunday, January 19, 2014

Christmas at Reid's, Emma in Rexburg, Eviction in Spanish Fork

My dear Family –

What a wonderful December we had. Most of the time in the early month of December was spent gathering and packing what Emma might need for college. She chose her classes, finished up her callings at church, helped me a ton do things every day, and I felt weepy. She has been such a help to her mother this last year. We had some good laughs and good talks.

The end of December was spent at Reid and Rachelle’s home with some Spencer and Heather thrown in for good measure and of course some Jean Marie. We arrived in Provo on Christmas Eve as did everyone else. Spencer and Heather got the suite with the king-sized bed while Bob and I were more than happy with our queen-sized accommodations. Reid and Rachelle occupy the top floor of a duplex that her parents purchased which is quite spacious. Reid and Rachelle had the privacy of their own suite of rooms at the top of the stairs complete with bathroom. Jean brought her air mattress and Emma slept on the couch, so as you can see we were all quite comfy. Maximus slept in his playpen. This year we all put something into each person’s stocking which worked out rather well. Christmas morning lasted forever, probably because we slept in, with Reid asking Bob to hand out the gifts. We were able to Skype with Austin and Taylor about ¾ the way through to watch them open our gifts to them and theirs to us. Christmas day found a few folks a little under the weather so I was grateful for Heather’s help in making homemade rolls and the rest of the dinner. Poor Jean had to go to work that night and miss the fun games we played but we conned her into playing games with us on many other nights. Maximus is quite the little man – so bright and happy. I loved to watch him toddle around. Spencer is blessed to have such a wonderful family. Reid and Rachelle were great hosts making all feel comfortable, cared for and loved.

We were able to attend Camilla and Dane’s wedding which was a delight. We were able to see Flora, who looked lovely I might add, and rub shoulders with Carole, Dave and Megumi, and Julie and Boyd. We wish all the best!

Jean Marie drove Bob, I, and Emma to Rexburg for Emma to start her new adventure. Her roommates all seem very nice, two being return missionaries. Her dorm has a living room, kitchen, bath and two bedrooms. I didn’t realize that three out of the four beds would be bunk beds. From these old eyes I could just see how hard that would be to get out of if I were sick or needed to go in the middle of the night. Good thing she is young. We shopped for some food, unpacked her luggage, went to a parents/student meeting with Pres. Clark, and then Emma went off on a tour with her group. It was getting dark around then and we were anxious to get on the road, but Bob found a room with privacy to give this sweet daughter a blessing. I know she will do well. How could she not?

The day after Christmas Bob was down to the courthouse trying to get the legal paperwork done in order to evict the tenant in the Spanish Fork house. He had gone to Utah earlier in the month of December to pack up the belongings in the house. Dave and Carole came down to help when the tenant walked in and couldn’t wrap his head around what they were doing. Bob had filed no legal papers. He didn’t know he had to. Thanks to Carole’s understanding of the local laws they all left the house, and instructed Bob in how to start legal proceedings. Thank heaven for that head start. It took two and a half weeks to finish up with everything down to having the constable go in to the house and changing the locks. We were supposed to fly out the previous Monday night but the weather in Chicago was so bad they cancelled our flight. Because of this blessing we were able to stay, pack up the house, and clean it before our flight the following Sunday. I never want to do that again. It would not have gotten done in two days if Carole, Dave and Jean Marie had not shown up again and helped pack the entire house. They should really go into the legal business – they have such good heads for law. There was lots of sobbing and ringing of hands by the tenant’s mother and brothers, but the dynamic duo (Carole and Dave) convinced the family that they could take nothing or everything, there was no in between. It was finally decided by late Friday afternoon that the family would rent a unit and haul it all away. Everything was packed by us with care so they only had to haul things out to the trailer and truck. They took two loads the first night and finished the next day, Saturday.

Poor Bob split his pants while picking up cigarette butts out by the renter’s “man cave” and kept the outside business of cleaning up going along. Reid, Rachelle and James showed up on Saturday to finish carrying out bags, boxes and furniture which was completed around noon. The constable told us we needed to inventory everything and Rachelle did a good job doing that. I spent the rest of the day cleaning the washer and dryer, freezer, refrigerator, stove, microwave, cabinets, bathtub, toilet, sink, floors, dusting blinds, wiping baseboards, unclogging the vacuum, picking up Legos, rocks, paper clips, etc. We finally finished around 1:30 in the morning. We could hardly get up off the floor, we were bone tired. I left the carpeted floors unfinished as the vacuum had issues and the carpets needed to be cleaned anyway. I was irritated to find we had to go back the next morning to repair broken cabinetry (Bob could not do the repairs by hand, he tried but needed Reid’s drill. Thanks Austin!), replace the broken door closer on the storm door, replaced numerous broken lights in fixtures, put back doors on hinges, put locks on all outside doors, and fixed a shingle on the roof by the front door. Again the Barrus’s come through and took some of the burden off my husband’s shoulders. Thank you! Thank you!

While I waited the four before we could get into the Spanish Fork home, I was treated like royalty at Jean and Bruce’s home. I have decided I need a cook that will feed me healthy meals each and every day. I started my class on line, shoveled snow, went to a movie, went to the temple, had a pedicure, and never did get to see Grandpa and Grandma Barrus’ house. I wanted to see what the new owner’s had done on the inside. Maybe that will happen this coming summer. Coming home has been strange without my Emma in the wings.

I feel so blessed to have my family, both extended and immediate. They are a comfort and a help. Happy New Year to you all. May this be your best year ever. Hold tight to the rod. It will never fail you. I think taking the religion courses on line helps me keep closer to the Lord. I haven’t been able to go to Sunday School very often over the many years I have served in the church, and even then I did not study like I should have. There really is a peace that comes from having a little bit of religion in your life on a daily basis.

Love to all,
Bob and Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment