Dec 2016
Dear Family,
I am sitting at my back window watching the first snow of the season fall. It will not accumulate much – maybe an inch will fall. For the last two nights Bob and I have been working on our ward’s live nativity which is supposed to be for the community. It takes several days to set up with a stable, the gym filled to the brim with nativities, lights and Christmas trees, and lots of refreshments to gather and prepare. I was helping a nonmember woman who is married to a member with the refreshments. I hate it. Everybody brings whatever they want – cakes, cookies, cupcakes, Bundt cake, chocolate chip cookies (these are not a Christmas cookie in my book) and we are expected to put everything together – three things on a dessert plate. We also serve hot chocolate, iced cider and ice water. Sometimes people show up for their shift, some don’t, some come in to eat while they work, and others want to come in and hang out. Bah! Humbug! I am hoping someone took a count on who from the community came so I will feel better about our youth drinking lots of hot chocolate and cider (we ran out of both from so many refills) and sampling many plates. I would just like to know if the evening is worth it or not. I am not much of a hoopla person so this kind of stuff is stressful. Clean up is a breeze. I cleaned the kitchen, froze lots of chocolate chip cookies, went in the gym and collected my nativities and Christmas trees and made it home in time to see 45 minutes of the Presidency Christmas Devotional. Emma and I watched Winter Thaw together after that then it was “Good Night Bonzo” for me.
I was so glad to have my sisters come and visit at the beginning of the month. We really packed in the adventures, didn’t we? There were haircuts, shopping, a bread making contest, good meals prepared by everyone, more shopping, a great hike up Case Mountain, a birthday party for everyone, Zumba, church and a therapy session. That’s what makes my sisters (and I include Angie and Megumi) so great – they are willing to do whatever and will have a good time doing it. Thank you, everyone, for bringing some wonderful light into my life!
The temple dedication was wonderful, of course. Rob and I sang at the cornerstone dedication. We had to be on the risers outside 30 minutes before Elder Eyring and Elder Holland came out of the temple. It was so cold, and the breeze was a little stiff. The altos were on the side taking all the wind; the gal beside me asked if she could hold on to my arm so she wouldn’t fall over. I just had to laugh. The Hartford Current newspaper reported we had a “robust choir” for the event. Good. I’m glad we sounded alright. It was a pleasure to see Pres. Eyring and Elder Holland. They were so gracious and kind. Emma, Bob, Angie and Grant braved the elements to come and watch the cornerstone dedication. Bob and I went home for twenty minutes to eat breakfast, make lunches and head back to the temple for the noon dedication and then headed to the stake center for the 3:00 dedication as Bob had volunteered for guard duty. I was surprised I was not exhausted by the end of the day.
I have worked one shift at the temple. Last week was the fifth Wed so the temple was caught off guard with what to do. It was a great day, very busy in our little temple, but a good way to refresh what I had learned working in the Boston temple. Bob decided he wanted to work too, so he ordered him a new white suit and shoes. He works every other Thursday night. He wanted to know when the training was, and I said, “Buddy, it’s all on the job.” Bob was a little worried but he ended up in the Baptistery for the evening which he very much enjoyed. A family from our ward came in with all their children, the youngest having just turned 12, with many family names. In Testimony meeting yesterday the husband rose and said how much it meant to him to have Bob and another man from our ward working there, for he felt like he had come home.
Emma is begging for another cat, but I am sticking to my guns. No new animals. We will be moving in 1 ½ and I don’t want to be bothered. I must confess that when I was reading the paper this morning there was an ad for free kittens, but we all know what that means - $$$. First they need to be neutered, then the front claws need to go, then there are all those first year shots and we have not been able to find a reasonably priced vet here in Ct. Last time I took the cat in to be dewormed it was $180. My horse vet in Kansas was fabulous but she is a little far to be of much use now. I love that woman.
I have been reading the conference talks for my daily scripture study. I am jealous of those of you who have a memory. Don’t ask me what I read this morning by afternoon, but if you begin to talk about that talk, the memory kicks in and I can tell you what I read. Very frustrating. I am working on feeling joy no matter what my circumstances which does not come naturally for me. I can do this! The Lord is on my side!
Love to each every one of you. I pray for you and keep you close to my heart, and I really like you. Thank you for being my friends.
Love,
Ruth and Bob
No comments:
Post a Comment