21 September 2016
Dear Family,
This is terribly late but I did want to send a report of how Liz’ wedding went and where all of my children are right now. Elizabeth married Martin David Craig, Jr., on August 20, 2016 and it was a glorious event. My children had not been together since Christmas 2014 and I had hoped to host a Felsted Family Reunion this year, but with Liz’ wedding, I knew that couldn’t happen. The Lord brought about all the family healing and bonding happen in just three short days while they were home for Liz’ wedding.
Stewart, Ruthie,,Erika, and Dan came from Utah and Emily came on her way back from Utah to Philadelphia. Ruth, Carole, Susan, David, and Julie, came as well. Scott, Stacy, Rose, and I went to pick everyone up on Thursday night at 11:00 p.m. Julie arrived first and we all jumped around and loved on her. When Ruth came up the escalator she saw us first and pointed at us as she approached. We all squealed and jumped as we hugged and kissed her. Then we all had to wait for at least 40 minutes for David, Susan, Erika, Dan, Stewart, and Ruth (with her dog, Shadow) to appear at the top of the escalator. More jumping and hugging ensued! I took my siblings home in my car and Scott and Rose drove the rest home. Unfortunately, Dan and Erika’s luggage was lost so Scott stayed with them to make arrangements to retrieve it. I got my siblings to their hotel about 12:30 a.m. and went home. Ruth opened her suitcase only to discover that she had someone else’s! Susan and Ruth went back to the airport to return the wrong suitcase and find the right one. They did not get back until 2 a.m. Meanwhile, Scott, Erika, and Dan (Erika’s boyfriend) had left the airport and were driving home. Halfway home the airline called to say their luggage had been found. So, back they went to the airport! They also got home around 2 a.m. I drove Dan to Melinda Talley’s to sleep. Everyone finally calmed down enough to go to sleep but it was a short night. Ruth and Shadow slept at the neighbors’ with Stacy, who had been house, grandma, and dog sitting.
Dan knocked on the door about 9:30 a.m. the next morning but no one in my house was awake yet. Soon Scott appeared, my siblings arrived from the hotel, and everyone else roused themselves. Our old neighbor, Michelle Villars, came to drop off a present and spent some time visiting with my siblings and kids. All of my kids went shopping and my siblings and I made enchiladas for dinner.
We all met at the Peachtree City LDS churches building at about 1:30 p.m., to help the Craigs decorate for the reception. They had insisted on putting draping and lights on the ceiling but I did not want to spend all my precious family time decorating. The Craigs weren’t ready for us to put up the tables and chairs so we left David, Stewart, and Rose to help and the rest vamoosed. When we arrived they only had three of the 16 light strands up. David quickly took control and nearly single-handedly got the ceiling decorated inside of two hour. He was a real asset and trooper!
I had rented out the entire nail spa for everyone to get a pedicure, manicure, or both. Scott, me, Emily, Erika, Dan, Liz, David, Ruth, Rose, Caroline, Julie, Ruth, Susan, and David (Liz’ groom) participated. We all relaxed and giggled but Liz glowed as she shared her story with three strangers who were waiting for their nails to dry. It was totally worth it because Liz’ love language is quality time and it surely was that Glad we did it!
While we were sitting I called the dress maker about the wedding dress. The dress still wasn’t done and she indicated that she might need some help. Carole still hadn’t flown in and Stacy had gone to pick her up while we were at the spa. Carole had called the day before and volunteered herself to sew through the night, if needed. She and Stacy drove up just as we were returning from the spa. I grabbed Carole’s arm and pried her away from the hugging and kissing mass of family. I told her we needed to go fix the dress! She was so gracious to consent. The remaining siblings were given their directive: play games with my kids, make popcorn, laugh a lot, and have fun. Liz reported that they did all that, and more. That was a highlight for Liz. Again, how do I express my gratitude for making all my wildest dreams and hopes come true?
Carole and I arrived at the dressmaker’s about 8 p.m.to find the skirt still not sewn to the bodice and the tulle and lace for the skirt in tatters. Carole and the seamstress put the dress on me and pinned the pieces together while sewing the cut lace pieces together by hand. Carole came around to my front and mouthed, “It is awful!” All of a sudden the house went black. The power was out the women had to sew by hand by light of cell phones. I was so upset I couldn’t speak. I stood on the chair for an hour and a half while they fit it together and I prayed the entire time. At 10 o’clock Carole had pinned it all together and sewn the cut pieces together. We left the dressmaker to sew the two pieces together and she said she would bring it to the temple in the morning. I wasn’t very confident that it would be done and look good, but there was nothing more to do. I was very upset because Liz was counting on that dress making her wedding a success and the dress still wasn’t done and the wedding was in 11 hours!
The next morning I was a wreck as we drove to the temple. I was very tired and discouraged. When we finally got to go to the Brides dressing room we found the dress hanging in the closet. I was dumbfounded as I pulled it from the closet. It looked beautiful! Surely the Lord sent sewing angels that transformed scraps of satin and lace into a vision of loveliness. Liz looked gorgeous.
Liz and David knelt at the altar and I could see Liz’ face as she was sealed. Liz’ struggled to keep her composure as she stared across the altar. She looked so happy and could hardly contain it! President David Ingram did a beautiful job of sealing them and it was a spiritual event. As soon as the sealing was over my stress left and I loved the rest of the day!
We dressed Liz in her beautiful ivory lace wedding gown and handed her the bouquet of white roses and bright royal blue orchids. She was absolutely beautiful. The dress was stunning. David’s friend was so efficient as she took wedding pictures in front of the temple and then everyone left but David’s parents and Scott and I. We waited for Liz and David to take a few bride-and- groom pictures all around the temple. Liz and David went with the Craigs to The Cheesecake Factory for lunch and the rest of us went to our house.
My siblings were wonderful to go to my house and get lunch on. We had ham, macaroni and cheese, green beans, salad, watermelon and cantaloupe, grapes, and water. It was wonderful to have everyone there interacting with each other!
After a short siesta, Ruth, Julie, Sue, David, and Carole ran around buying the 12 pounds of grapes and ice and picking up the boutonnieres and corsages. We all met at the Peachtree City LDS building around 4 o’clock and began preparations for the food. My siblings sprang into action plating the Grand Tetons, cheese and crackers, cookies, etc. They visited with the lonely, met my neighbors, refilled the water container and dessert bar,loved on my children, vacuumed, did dishes, moved chairs, everything else that needed doing, and freed me up to visit with my children, friends, and neighbors.
My neighbors, Mary O’Leary, Barbara and Troy Toth, came and stayed nearly the entire time! They recounted sweet memories. Mary insisted on pictures of all my children together so she could send them to her college kids. Our neighbors truly love our children. They are so good to us! Joy!
My heart was full to bursting with joy watching all of my kids together and seeing them love each other. The music was perfect and provided the appropriate, comfortable, upbeat background for us to interact with each other. We danced and laughed and I watched my kids dance and talk to each other one on one. It was perfect. And Liz had the time of her life. She looked deliriously happy! Hearts were healed that night. I am so very grateful! Thank you, siblings!
My Ruthie was comfortable and happy all night as she danced with siblings and random children. She did incredibly well.
Sterling had invited all his siblings to his house after the wedding for games. Scott, I, and my siblings stayed behind to recuperate. My siblings left soon for their hotel and I cleaned up. It had been such a miraculous weekend. All the relationship healing and rebuilding had happened that I would have wished. The Lord is SO good to me!
Sunday I took Emily to the airport first while my siblings and kids went to choir practice. I drove to the church after dropping Emily. After Sacrament Meeting the next load—Ruth, Carole, David, and Susan got in the car for the airport and Julie went along for the ride. How I love all of my siblings! They facilitated all the healing because they took all the stress off me. How grateful I am for them! With them safely deposited at the airport I went back for my children.
When I returned to the house my children were all playing a fast game of Masterpiece—a family favorite to play with Scott. The game was finished post haste and long hugs were made all around. It was especially tender to see Rose tearfully hug Ruth extra long. Everyone ended up wanting to go to the airport so we loaded up two cars and away we went! A few more quick hugs and they disappeared into the bowels of Hartfield/Jackson Airport. Oh, that was sad. But what a glorious weekend it had been!
Well, Carole and Julie were the only ones to get out of Atlanta on time. Susan, Dave, Erika, Dan, Stewart, and Ruthie, all flew Frontier. Their flight ended up being delayed 7 hours! Ruth’s Delta flight was also delayed. She went to spend some of the time with the Frontier captives which facilitated her making it possible for Ruthie to get her dog, Shadow, to the Doggie Bathroom. Delta is the only airline that offers a free golf cart shuttle service and Ruthie had flown Frontier. Ruth used her Delta boarding pass to get herself, Ruthie, and the dog a ride to and from the facility. Bless you, Ruth, for being aware of Ruthie’s needs and making that happen! More proof my siblings are the best ever! Poor Ruth missed her flight because they move UP the departure time of her delayed flight! She couldn’t catch a flight until Monday, the next morning, so Julie and I happily went back to the airport to get her.
Emily’s family had a rough week or two in Utah and so she considered missing the wedding to drive back to Philadelphia with them. But, Erika told her that her presence was required at the wedding and so she came. I am so glad! Emily kept things on target and always had my back that weekend. I really, really enjoy and respect her!
Literally, the wedding could not have gone better. I am even grateful that the Craigs wanted to decorate the gym so extravagantly. Lisa Coburn declared it the most beautiful church reception she had ever been to. It was everything Liz had wanted. She wanted it classy, and it was!
That is quite enough of a report for August. I will write a separate missive for September’s news because there is news to report!
All my love, Scott and Chris
No comments:
Post a Comment