Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Conference, Tanner's Farewell, New York Weekend, NO MORE LIMP

Dear Family:

When I crawled into bed last night, I thought “How could it be the 11th of November already?” and soon after, “Oh, no—you haven’t written your family letter yet!” This morning, I raced to the computer before working out and can see that I really am “a day late and a dollar short” this time—there are letters waiting to be read in my email inbox! There is a notation on every day of last month’s calendar, and the sum of my “parts” seems to be work and service with a little play thrown in.

How grateful I am for the messages of General Conference at the beginning of October. John and I shared the sofa at J.C. and Beki’s house with four cute kids and their busy parents. I had prepared myself for Conference, and was blessed with answers to personal questions. I so appreciated the counsel and the encouragement offered by the Lord’s inspired servants. Our copies of the Conference Report arrived last week and as I have begun re-reading those marvelous addresses, have noticed things I missed at the first hearing. I find that true as I study the scriptures each day, too; there are “new” things to discover every time!

It was a privilege to attend Tanner Park’s ward on the 13th and to hear him speak before he left for Columbia on his mission. It was obvious that he had spent many, many hours preparing his talk, and as he spoke about the qualities he would need to be an effective missionary, I was inspired by the content and spirit of his remarks. Go, Tanner!

This is my fifth year as a Church Service Missionary, a calling which has blessed me in unforeseen ways. The skills needed for my various assignments are easy to learn, but it is my rebellious and judgmental heart that most needs changing if I am to become celestial material. My service has helped me to better understand, appreciate and FEEL the love our Heavenly Father has for His children and His desire for ALL of us to “Come unto (Him).” I am making progress!

A California friend surprised me with plane and hotel reservations for a weekend in New York. The price was right, the weather was perfect (sunny and 50’s) and the company delightful. We walked and walked and walked (twice to Brooklyn and back on that beautiful bridge), shopped, snacked, talked, attended the Manhattan Temple and Church services, shopped and walked some more before flying to our homes on Monday night. It was a nice break from fall yard work and cleaning out the storage room.

It is a glorious time to be on this earth. There is much wrong with the world, but as President Monson reminded us at General Conference, “…there (has never) been a period in human history that did not have its full share of turmoil and misery.” We have been reserved to live in a day of marvelous contrasts before the return of our Savior. Yes, there is increasing darkness and evil, but there us also increasing light as the gospel is spread to the four corners of the earth. Each of us has the opportunity to be part of the Lord’s work of gathering His people.

We love you! Uncle John and Aunt Carole

P.S. Johnny is a new man—no more limp, no more hip pain—hurray for modern medicine!

No comments:

Post a Comment