Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Halloween, Babysitting, YW In Excellence, Renter Problems, "New" Washer/Dryer

My dear Family –

I think I am getting old. This month at our ward’s annual Trunk R’ Treat night I elected to stay inside and clean up after the chili dinner instead of sit in my trunk and hand out candy. Lucky for me I had Emma, some after Easter candy and a carved pumpkin to do the deed. Bah! Humbug! I have never really liked Halloween. I think I do not like the gruesome and scary, and I am not one to dress up much. We were invited on Halloween to a friend’s house for dinner and to play games while her door was answered by one of the younger generation. I left my house in the dark hoping it would be safe with nary a treat to be seen. Emma came home from work around 8:00 and did not find any ghouls lurking about. I thought about leaving a bowl of candy by my mailbox (I have a very long driveway) lighted by some fake candles and a sign, but my thoughts went to the young men in my neighborhood, who are, let’s face it, just young men and didn’t think they would leave candy for any of the small kids in the neighborhood. I should have done it any way and been done with it. Having 4 bags of candy in your basement is too much of a temptation for me. I sent much of it with Emma to work and to Singles.

Now that my babysitting for my neighbor has ramped up, I feel quite shackled. I babysit Monday all day, and Tues and Thurs from 1:30 until 5:30. It seems like I have no time to get things done. I must admit that I bring Drew home with me while Emma is home so I can enjoy her until she goes to college in January. I need her help in so many things. Yesterday I was inspired to clean out the basement. You know what it’s like. We all have a little corner somewhere where things seem to pile up because we don’t know what to do with them and suddenly it has taken on a life of its own. You should see my basement now! It is not perfect but oh it feels mighty fine! I piled everything in the car to deposit at various places when my babysitting was done. I forgot the library was closed on Veteran’s Day so I could not get rid of my box of books. The recycle center in my town was also closed to I could not deposit my many cardboard boxes, but Saver’s was open so I could empty out my car of unneeded stuff that I know I will have a use for and be looking for in two months. C’est la vie. It is very freeing.

We just had our Young Woman In Excellence last week, and it went off without a hitch. Thanks to my brilliant daughter-in-law, Taylor, who gave me idea that she used last year when she was in YW. We embellished on what the original plan was that was presented on the internet by some brilliant sisters and made it our own. The gym looked awesome. We really have a pathetic little building with teeny rooms so we were forced to use to gym. By the time we got the display tables up, the compliment tables set and beautiful, the pictures the girls had painted on the wall behind the podium, and a table decorated in front of the podium, all pulled together to make a very appealing and welcoming space. I wanted each girl to display something though I know that traditionally it has been 10 hour projects. I encouraged them to share one experience from the things they have done. Some have only done one thing, very few have done many things but it was the best part of the room. Everyone enjoyed looking at the many displays and I feel like it empowered the girls to see the good that they were doing and carry on. Sunday on of my YW came up and had me sign off three more of her experiences and has a goal of completing her Personal Progress by her birthday, which is in March. This is so satisfying for me. Two years ago when I was put into this position there was so little done by the girls that I felt powerless. But a little harping goes a long way and I am so proud of them as they see that this is Heavenly Father’s plan for them to improve themselves and get closer to having a testimony.

As many of you know, Bob was supposed to fly out to Utah a week of two ago and take care of business in Spanish Fork. The renter in his parents’ home has not been able to pay the rent on a regular basis and it had come to a head. After a heated and long discussion with this man, Bob decided he was going to get a truck, empty the house and put it in a storage unit for a month, and then take the stuff to Deseret Industries. There were many tales of woe from this young man, but the reality is, he cannot afford to live there. Winter is coming and the gas must not be turned off again. The man convinced Bob that the money would be in the bank by morning; Bob cancelled his flight, and you guessed it, the money was not there in the morning. BUT it was great having Bob home for a week since he had already planned on taking that time off. He accomplished quite a bit and was good company. His shop is pristine, the garage looks a little more organized, he filled in and sanded a bookcase I brought home and got it ready for painting, took apart one of the many cheapy snow blowers we had and ordered missing parts, and cleaned out files. The other two snow blowers that didn’t work got taken to a man down the street who fixes things and then sells them by the side of the road. After three years of agonizingly clearing our ridiculous driveway from snow, Bob broke down and bought a brand new, fresh out of the box, never been touched 28”snow blower. I think he fears, as I have been fearing, that with Emma gone, we will never be able to clear ourselves out. Good times, good times.

Taylor will be happy to know that my washer and dryer are fixed. Ever since moving here we have had trouble with the washer walking across the floor and turning itself off. Once when Taylor was using it, it stopped completely. We had to empty the machine and take the clothes to a laundromat. The dryer has been groaning and sounding like a train is going through the house. After checking out new machines and feeling unsatisfied with what is on the market, I bit the bullet and had a repair man come to the house. It cost me $85 dollars for him to look at the first machine, $35 to look at the second machine, then this was the killer, $60 dollars apiece to work on them, and another $105 for three dryer parts. So after paying nearly $400 hundred dollars, I have brand new machines that run like a dream! I am so happy and wish I had done this three years ago. They should now last me another 20 years!

I am off to Pilates. I exercise with a few ladies from my ward during seminary. I stink at it but it beats the alternatives. I love listening in on the seminary lessons periodically. I would love to hear Susan teach. She is always so good at making analogies and relating the gospel to real life. Hurrah for good people like Susan who will teach seminary each morning and be cheerful at the same time. I am thankful for the tender mercies of the Lord each and every day of my life.

Love to all,
Bob, Ruth, and Emma Jane Jane

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this letter. Thanks Aunt Ruth!! I love all the letters, but for some reason, I really enjoyed this one :)

    ReplyDelete