Happy March to the Barrus family! The casserole I put in the oven will be done soon so I take a few minutes to touch base with you all.
It's Sunday. Megan and Lydia have taken on an exciting new role as piano teacher to Joseph. Joseph decided he wants to learn and he practices everyday. He is learning very fast to the excitement of the girls, but it is so hilarious! And I mean ironically hilarious that they are so great at remembering his daily lesson/practice time when they themselves considered their own 5 minute practice session enough to say "I practiced". Sigh. My kids are really smart, but sometimes. Sometimes I'm sure they think I'm not. But I do love listening to them instruct him on wrong notes and new skills that they themselves are still mastering. My sister, Abby, is a very patient teacher with my kids. She is mastering positive feedback when they have earned little. My kids tell me atleast once a week, each, why do we have to learn piano. My answer usually runs around, because that's what we do. Joseph has been good to support me in this. He loves music. That was one of our favorite dating activities in those early days. When we wanted to spend time together, we would walk campus. We often ended up finding a piano. He would pick out a hymn and I would play it so he could sing it. Don't plan on seeing him in the ward choir, but he has always loved to sing.
Ok. Updates. We feel more at home with each week that passes. Our home is such a blessing we can't forget that. Joseph is still an instructor at the Clearfield Job Corp. He is really making a difference in the lives of the students he comes across. Students request his class and he has been recognized for his influence there. Its not a job he can keep til retirement, but it has taught him a lot about his talents and potential career paths. He is now teaching the 12 years olds in Sunday School and otherwise stays busy keeping me content.
I'm still teaching preschool twice a week and although it does take a lot of preparation, I love sharing my skills with the kids I teach, especially Jane, my own. My Mom and Abby take turns watching Henry so that my classes run more smoothly. I was also blessed to find a job sewing from home for a home decor business my friend owns. I pick up cut fabric and hem mostly table runners, but I've done pillow covers, tree skirts, and some other items. I enjoy finishing the fabric into an item that looks professional. I am second counselor in Primary and I feel so awkward trying to fulfill my calling. The rest of the presidency has been in place for about 4 years so they run like an oiled machine and then there's me. Or so it feels. We are so new to the ward I'm trying to memorize about 80 teacher and children's names. Then, today I conducted. its actually my second round of conducting but I still flustered through the agenda forgetting an announcement, the only announcement, the President had just mentioned to me. I know if I can just remember I'm there to serve the Lord, the rest will eventually fit. Right?
That just leaves Henry and Isaac. People are always telling us what a great kids Isaac is. Joseph is impressed with Isaac's comments in Sunday School class and he is pretty good at keeping a clean room. He is currently in the Robotics Club after school. They make a Lego Robot and compete with other schools in May. He did it last year and loved it. Henry is adorable, of course. He hates nursery, cried for an hour today before Joseph took pity on the leaders. I better end now. Gotta get to my dinner casserole.
Amy DeGraw and family
No comments:
Post a Comment