Friday, December 14, 2012

Let The Holy Spirit Guide

Talk given in Windsong Ward Sacrament Meeting Kennewick Washington Stake by Ann Barrus Burt, December 9, 2012

Let the Holy Spirit guide;
Let him teach us what is true.
He will testify of Christ,
Light our minds with heaven’s view. 

Let the Holy Spirit guard;
Let his whisper govern choice.
He will lead us safely home
If we listen to his voice. 

Let the Spirit heal our hearts
Thru his quiet, gentle pow’r.
May we purify our lives
To receive him hour by hour. 

As I read, studied and prayed about the topic given me, this was the first hymn that came to mind. I was given the topic “An Unspeakable Gift from God” from our most recent General Conference given by Elder Craig C. Christensen of the Presidency of the Seventy. Do we as members fully understand and appreciate what a wonderful privilege it is to have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost? The demands of life which often passes at a pace faster than one can sometimes keep up with, makes it even more important to remember and cherish this precious gift of a heavenly being ready to assist if one just asks.

Elder Christensen references an experience in his own life which caused him to ponder this great gift given to us while traveling mortality. The story touched me, so I would like to share it once again. It begins with a trip to the open house for the Bountiful Utah Temple as a family. Let me share this touching story in Elder Christensen’s own words:

“As we reverently walked through the temple, I found myself admiring the magnificent architecture, the elegant finishes, the light shining through towering windows, and many of the inspiring paintings. Every aspect of this sacred building was truly exquisite.

Stepping into the celestial room, I suddenly realized that our youngest son, six-year-old Ben, was clinging to my leg. He appeared anxious—perhaps even a little troubled.

“What’s wrong, Son?” I whispered.

“Daddy,” he replied, “what’s happening here? I’ve never felt this way before.”

Recognizing that this was likely the first time our young son had felt the influence of the Holy Ghost in such a powerful way, I knelt down on the floor next to him. While other visitors stepped around us, Ben and I spent several minutes, side by side, learning about the Holy Ghost together. I was amazed at the ease with which we were able to discuss his sacred feelings. As we talked, it became clear that what was most inspiring to Ben was not what he saw but what he felt—not the physical beauty around us but the still, small voice of the Spirit of God within his heart.”

What a great opportunity for a father to teach about the gift of the Holy Ghost to his six year old son. As I reflect once again on Elder Christensen’s experience, I am immediately reminded of an experience with one of my own children. Years ago we visited Nauvoo as a family while my former in-laws were serving as senior missionaries. My youngest daughter was only four at the time. Tammy’s grandparents suggested we take a drive up to Carthage to participate in the tour of Carthage Jail where our beloved prophet Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum sealed their testimonies with their deaths at the hands of an angry mob. As an older gentleman led us through the Carthage Jail, my daughters were fascinated with the humble house which housed the jailer, his wife and the jail rooms which had held prisoners. It wasn’t until we sat in the upper bedroom where Joseph and Hyrum closed their lives that the compelling story of the remaining days of the prophet touched Tammy’s heart in a way that I have never forgotten.

Tammy was sitting on my lap at the time, listening intently to the senior missionary share the story we are familiar with. She watched and followed with her eyes as the missionary pointed out things in the room. I was surprised at how quiet Tammy was sitting on my lap since normally she was an “on the go” child every minute of the day. The thing I noticed even more so, was how sad her expression was becoming the longer we were in the upper room of Carthage Jail. When the missionary presenting the story of Joseph and Hyrum’s last days finally finished and excused all the visitors that day, Tammy turned to me and said “Mommy, can we go now? This room is making me too sad to want to stay.” I assured her it was ok to leave, knowing from her tone of voice that this was too painful a place for her. Thinking today on this choice experience, I realize my four year daughter had a quickening of the spirit which endeared a strong testimony of the Godhead for her now as a mother and wife.

Often young children beginning primary will ask “who is the Holy Ghost”? Elder Christensen imparts this answer which many a teacher or parent have also provided. He comments “The Holy Ghost is the third member of the Godhead, and, as such, like God the Father and Jesus Christ, He knows our thoughts and the intents of our hearts.3 The Holy Ghost loves us and wants us to be happy. Since He knows the challenges we will face, He can guide us and teach us all things we must do to return and live with our Heavenly Father once again.” I find those words most comforting. As we learn under the tutorship of loving parents, we grow in understanding and knowledge until we must transverse life on our own as adults. It’s a comfort to know that I have a spiritual companion as the third member of the Godhead to help and guide me, particularly now that my earthly parents have completed their mortalities. Again, this reminds me of a song learned while teaching primary a short time ago:

“When Christ was on the earth,
He promised he would send
The Holy Ghost to comfort us,
Our true, eternal friend.
The Holy Spirit whispers
With a still small voice.
He testifies of God and Christ
And makes our hearts rejoice.” 

Yes, this makes every heart sing and rejoice, knowing that life does not need to be traveled alone. Elder Christensen reminds us that the Holy Ghost has the primary responsibility to testify to us of the divinity of God the Father and Jesus Christ, as well as teach us truths important for our inner happiness. He relates “A sure witness from the Holy Ghost carries far more certainty than a witness from any other source.” Wow! That is quite a statement. It tells us that if we have questions regarding counsel given by a good friend or leader, we can have it confirmed through the spirit if we take the time to ask. And that’s any time we have a question regarding what someone tell us. President Joseph Fielding Smith taught that “the Spirit of God speaking to the spirit of man has power to impart truth with greater effect and understanding than the truth can be imparted by personal contact even with heavenly beings.” When I personally have followed this admonition, whether in seeking medical, personal or professional counsel, I find the fruits of those labors to be most sweet to the taste.

Another responsibility the Holy Ghost has is to comfort us “during times of trouble or despair or simply when we need to know that God is near.” In February of 2011, I immediately headed for the temple a few days after receiving news that my father had pancreatic cancer and did not have much time left on this earth. It was comforting to know I could go someplace to pray and ponder regarding something that would impact me in more ways than one. The next day in Sacrament Meeting as there was a change of the guard as you will, occurring for our ward, I suddenly became overwhelmed with tears, accompanied by a clear impression regarding my father’s impending passing. At that moment I was oblivious to anything occurring around me. It took a long time to recognize the experience as the Comforter, another name by which the Holy Ghost is often referred to, comforting me in a way I needed it most. Later in the day Bishop Stewart inquired of me regarding the tears I had shed earlier during Sacrament Meeting. He thought I was upset because Bishop Brooks had just been released. After I explained what I was dealing with, I saw a new bishop’s brow relax and a smile illuminate his face.

Returning back to Elder Christensen’s thoughts and feelings regarding the Holy Ghost we find counsel which should provide courage for all of us as we interact with our friends and family. He comments “The Holy Ghost is a teacher and a revelator.13 As we study, ponder, and pray about gospel truths, the Holy Ghost enlightens our minds and quickens our understanding. He causes the truth to be indelibly written in our souls and can cause a mighty change to occur in our hearts. As we share these truths with our families, with fellow members of the Church, and with friends and neighbors in our community, the Holy Ghost becomes their teacher as well, for He carries the message of the gospel unto the hearts of the children of men.” We are given many opportunities both formally and informally to teach truths to one another with the help of the Holy Ghost so that we can continue our journeys on this earth. Recently, such an opportunity to be taught by a loving visiting teacher was afforded me.

A few weeks ago I received a phone call from one of my daughters prior to church. The news given was very bad news and serious. I was stunned to say the least. As I grappled with what I had just heard, I reached out in pain wondering where I could go for solace. The name of my visiting teacher came to mind to which I responded by calling her. She sensed the need, asked if I wanted her to come right away, to which I responded in the affirmative through gasps of tears. As I waited for her to arrive, I broke down in utter despair and uncontrollable sobs. For the next two hours we talked about what I had just experienced, exchanging feelings and thoughts, not only regarding the situation at hand, but, the impact on mother and daughter. I felt the sweet spirit in the room as I was being taught by a valued friend and visiting teacher. I learned things that day which has given me hope and understanding for the future. It has not changed the situation, but rather help navigate through understandable truths to know how to offer help and support to a wonderful daughter at this time in her life.

Not only was I taught that day, but a selfless act of service occurred that day. The Holy Ghost, if we will listen and heed it, also inspires us to reach out to others in service. Our own loving prophet today, President Monson, gives us this guidance: “In the performance of our responsibilities, I have learned that when we heed a silent prompting and act upon it without delay, our Heavenly Father will guide our footsteps and bless our lives and the lives of others. I know of no experience more sweet or feeling more precious than to heed a prompting only to discover that the Lord has answered another person’s prayer through you.” In the hustle and bustle, particularly during the Christmas season, are we sensitive to the promptings to know when we are needed by the Lord to assist with His work and His spirit children on the earth?

I, for one, am most grateful the Savior promised to send a companion and comforter after his earthly ministry. This is the “unspeakable gift from God” Elder Christensen refers to in his inspired counsel to us. Elder Christensen reminds us that while “all honest and sincere seekers of truth can feel the influence of the Holy Ghost from time to time. However, the opportunity to receive the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost and the fulness of all the associated blessings is available only to worthy, baptized members who receive the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands through those holding the priesthood authority of God.” This is a gift given specifically to us and for us as members of the Church through priesthood power, so that we can walk through and endure mortality with confidence, only to return to Him that sent us. In closing I echo Elder Christensen’s words in which he said “Through the gift of the Holy Ghost, we receive added capacity and spiritual gifts, increased revelation and protection, steady guidance and direction, and the promised blessings of sanctification and exaltation in the celestial kingdom.” How can we not guard, cherish, emulate and appreciate through our thoughts and actions the great gift and blessing the Holy Ghost affords for real happiness; particularly through sensitive listening, learning from and acting upon so that we can be assured a place in Heavenly Father’s kingdom. I know this to be true and pray that all of us both young and old will invite the Holy Ghost to be our constant companion and best spiritual friend as we find spiritual and temporal successes in this life. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment