My dear wonderful Family,
November was a wonderful month. The two things that made it special was the birth of Maximus and Thanksgiving. Emma and I were scheduled to fly to Idaho on November 14 because Heather was going to be late delivering her sweet baby. Your first baby often comes late. But like all good adventures which always have twists and turns, Heather needed to be induced since her liver did not like having to clean itself out for two people. So Maximus was born on the 9th. Thankfully Heather’s mother had not left for Boston yet to visit another of her children so she was able to come down for a few days. By the time Emma and I got there Heather had all things under control in part because Maximus is a very easy baby. He eats well, he doesn’t throw-up, he is not colicky and tolerates change very well. It was tender to see Spencer with his sweet baby. It was a pleasure to go out and see where Heather and Spencer live and get a taste of the area. When Bob was able to come that weekend we all went for a drive and looked at houses. There are several nice areas with inexpensive housing and low taxes. Anybody want to go to Meridian in 5 years and put down some roots? We might all be able to afford living there. I cannot afford to keep living in Connecticut. I did notice in the paper that Ellington gives tax discounts to seniors if you apply each year. That still would not cut it for me. Besides, I am tired of the hurricanes, record snow falls and going a week here and a week there without power. Have you seen my driveway? I just about kill myself each time we have to shovel out and I can’t get my car up the hill. Don’t tell Bob but I think I killed the tread on my tires during the last storm. Anyway – it was a great trip with good company AND we got to see Dane. How fun was that. It has been a long time since we’ve seen him and it was good to catch up. You will all have to visit Spencer and his man-cave, though I think if you wait too long it may be turned into a playroom. Ah, the sacrifices we make as parents.
Emma and I returned on Thanksgiving Eve and there was not a store that was open. Lucky for me Bob arrived home a few days before I did and was able to thaw the turkey. And lucky for all of us Taylor brought up with them most of the yummy food. I got off easy making mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, cranberry Jell-O salad and some stuffing to put into the turkey. Taylor made Shoo-fly-pie, pumpkin and lemon pies, sweet potatoes, marshmallow salad and would have made us yummy rolls but Bob had bought some brown and serve at the store so we ate those instead. I had asked Bob to get me some cranberries and celery at the store for me. When he came to pick Emma and I up at the airport the back of his car was full of groceries – ice cream, cookies, 6 bags of chips, pistachios, M&M’s – enough stuff to give us all hardened arteries. I must admit I was not thrilled with his choices of good food, depending on your definition, but it came in handy playing games and filling in holes here and there. Funny man.
Because Austin and Taylor moving to Omaha for a career change after Christmas, I implored Austin to help Bob take down another one of our trees which was slowly dying. Like the other tree the two of them took down it is quite the scientific process with pulleys and ropes and golf carts, but down it came and it was marvelous. Thank you, Austin, for saving your father from an untimely demise. Had he tried to do it on his own who knows what troubles we would have had. It is always good to have a look-out man.
Love to all. I know the Aunts say this a lot, but you are all thought of and prayed over daily and have a precious place in our hearts. The gospel makes that possible because we have been taught how important families are and because we have always felt loved by our parents. They showed us that family is important. Merry Christmas! Have a great time with each other!
Love,
Aunt Ruth, Uncle Bob and Emma Jane-Jane
No comments:
Post a Comment