[NOV. 19] Thanks to all who contributed this month! I'm hoping that even more letters will be in next month's packet--or trickle in like last month--because it is wonderful to get updates from those we haven't heard from for a while, and we're hoping against hope to hear from every one who is out of the nest. Even though Grandpa is no longer here to read them, the rest of us "old folks" really do love each of you and are interested to hear about your lives, the challenges as well as the triumphs. Besides, as this letter so amply demonstrates, you "young 'uns" have lots more interesting things to tell about than we empty nesters. Since I am so inconsistent at contributing every month, you know I'm not throwing stones, so consider my pleas as arrows of invitation!
Despite meteorologists' predictions of a warm and dry winter for Utah, our first real snow storm came on October 23 and we had 31 inches of the cold, fluffy white stuff piled high on our picnic table. We weren't quite ready with yard preparation, but it came without our permission nonetheless. Hope that won't be our fate at the Second Coming, too, "intending" to be ready, but not quite. 'I'm reviewing, the situation," as Fagin sings in Oliver.
I am now at Olesia's, surprisingly waiting for the arrival of their baby girl. I say surprisingly because her first two babies came quite early, so the anticipation was that this one would come rushing into the world as soon as the way was opened, but apparently she is a true woman and timing her entrance for the biggest effect. We may be having Thanksgiving a few days later here in California, if Little Miss delays her arrival much longer. Actually, I think the delay has been a blessing because all three of the Richins family members have taken their turn with the stomach flu during the last few days. It would have been a miserable experience going through labor--or trying to be a help and support during the process--while emptying out at both ends.
Attending stake conference with Chris Richins this past Sunday, I learned a valuable tip that would have been helpful last week. One brother said that as he surveys a large congregation before he has to speak, he pictures them all dressed in white, as temple-ready, celestial people. Isn't that a comforting scenario? The night before I flew to Olesia's, I gave a training presentation in the 2300-seat Bountiful Regional Center. It wasn't quite full, but looked like a sea of people from the pulpit, and I must admit it was a bit daunting facing the expectations of all those wonderful Primary workers.
[DEC. 9] That was as far as I got last month; I had reassured myself that even though my letter would be late, it was for a good cause--to share the news of Olesia's new baby. Despite Olesia's daily walks, bouncing on an exercise ball and eating pineapple like a native Hawaiian--it's amazing what are touted as sure-fire labor inducers on the internet!--there was little progress on that front during the 10 days I spent with them. Bruce came out to join us the day before Thanksgiving and after a delightful holiday, we both went home that Sunday. The visit was very worthwhile even without the anticipated birth as I spent lots of time with 4-year old Sara and Olesia worked on Christmas projects.
Once I arrived home, the activity wheel revved up again and I crossed my fingers that the baby's arrival would hold off until after my last meeting on Dec. 4. It was a joy to attend the First Presidency Christmas Devotional on the 2nd; the music was sublime and the Presidency's remarks helped us remember to keep an eternal perspective in the midst of very temporal concerns, and not just during the Christmas season, but throughout the year.
Thanks to one of those "tender mercies" of the Lord, Olesia finally gave birth on Dec. 3, giving me time to finish my responsibilities and still arrive in California on the day she and Jenna came home from the hospital. Of course, at 7 lb. 10 oz. and 21" long, this beautiful child with a mellow manner is decidedly not a pre-term baby! It has been fun to watch Olesia marvel at the competent way she eats, comfortably falls asleep and lies contentedly blinking at her surroundings--until she realizes she is hungry (again!) and exercises her lungs to let you know.
Whenever I visit any of our children, I am impressed with the varied and skilled capabilities of our sons-in-law. For instance, Chris Richins is superb at creating a smooth little girl's ponytail, complete with matching hair clips to catch any errant bangs. He and Olesia went to look at baby changing tables last evening and were dissatisfied with everything they saw, so on the way home they stopped to purchase some lumber. After a morning start, he came in for a late dinner, having completed construction of the expertly crafted, custom table in less than 12 hours. Pretty remarkable!
Speaking of remarkable men, Bruce fits that criteria as well. We had been assigned to host the ward social gathering after the month's temple session. When it turned out that I wouldn't be home to be half the hosting couple, Bruce calmly declared that he could do it on his own. And he did: mopped the floor, set out the plates, cups and utensils, made the wassail, arranged the desserts on trays, etc. and kept everyone happily supplied and conversationally engaged for a couple of hours. When the last guest departed, he cleaned up everything before dropping into bed. Couldn't have done better myself!
We won't have the opportunity to see most of you during the holidays, so we send our very warmest wishes for a wonderful, spirit-filled and merry Christmas as well as a peaceful New Year. We are grateful to know of and celebrate, as do you, the blessed birth of our Savior Jesus Christ and all that it means as the glorious beginning of His mortal life and culminating in His perfect gift of the Atonement.
With great love,
(Aunt) Jean and (Uncle) Bruce
No comments:
Post a Comment