Thursday, December 13, 2012

"Not So Boring" Family Letter!

My family letter is quite boring but thought I would send it on to wish you all a very happy Christmas.

Love,
Flora

There are many wonderful things about Christmas, one being the chance to hear from each of you. We all get busy through the year and do not take the time to keep in touch. I hope it has been a good year for all of you. As I look back over the year I can’t say I accomplished all that I had hoped.

JANUARY brought the joy of my newest great-grandchild, little Rachael Ashley Hoyal, born on the 29th of December, bringing my own total to 9 but counting Bob’s great-grandchildren the total is 61, with 50 grandchildren. What a bounteous blessing!! This month I was set apart as the Ward Temple Ordinance Coordinator and Family History Consultant in my new ward. I started ushering once a week as a volunteer at our local theater. I only go when there is a performance. My son, David, is working Saturdays on my unfinished basement. He is a good builder and will do a great job. I am trying to relearn my knitting machine after 30 years. I hope my brain will recall all I used to know about it.

FEBRUARY – Prepared for my Book of Mormon trip.

MARCH ‘s highlight was my Book of Mormon excursion to Mexico and Guatemala with my sister, June. It was an interesting experience to see the places talked about in the Book of Mormon. It has really made my reading come alive. Being with my sister made it a fun trip. We celebrated her birthday in Guatemala with a zip line experience. (my one and only zip line ride) When we returned I stayed on another week in California with June, going to work with her at her knit shop in the day then staying up all hours to continue knitting and talking.

APRIL - My big project for this month was to assemble a “DIY bedroom set and it all works. Amazing!!

MAY - I put up a “For Sale” sign on my rental condo this month hoping to sell it this summer. My Grandmother’s 100 yr. old piano was refinished and delivered this month. It is so beautiful and I am glad we could keep it in the family.

JUNE ‘s event was finishing the two bedrooms in my basement.

JULY’s activity was backing into a neighbor’s car door. My first accident ever that was my fault. Enjoyed having some of the granddaughters here for a weekend for their mini-reunion.

AUGUST – Tending my sons’ two dogs (not at the same time) were the events of this month.

SEPTEMBER’s special event was a visit from my sister, June and her husband. While they were here we were able to have a small Vail family reunion with 3 out of 5 siblings and some of the grandchildren and great-grandchildren. We are planning another gathering next June and hope to have everyone come. We were able to go to the Brigham City Temple open house and visit a few old childhood haunts.

OCTOBER’S EVENT was another wasp or yellow jacket sting that ended up in another trip to the emergency room for an IV to treat the swelling and infection. Those insects are not my friends. General Conference was wonderful this month. I think we were all surprised at the announcement of a change in ages for missionary service. Picking the wonderful apples from the tree at my rental house was a pleasure. I took my rental condo off the market. Sales have been slow so will try again next spring.

NOVEMBER’s trauma was the result of the general election. We may have a difficult time the next four years.

DECEMBER – It looks like the family room may be finished so we can have a family breakfast on Christmas Eve morning. The wall board is up but needs to be taped and mudded, then painted before I can install the cabinets and lay carpet.

In between these events this past year I have spent time attending a Church Education Class once a week, assisting at the Family History Center every Monday morning, attending the temple once a week, meeting with the Widows Group from my old ward once a month for dinner, meeting with my old ward once a month for Humanitarian projects and with the book group once a month. I try to go to the gym 4 days a week to exercise with the Silver Sneakers. I am still trying to do some Family History work and also do Indexing for the Church. Somehow the days seem to fly by.

I hope your blessings have been abundant and will be multiplied for this coming year. I am truly grateful for all of my blessings. To be able to see and hear (somewhat), walk and talk are great gifts from a loving Father in Heaven. The greatest gift to us all is the birth of our Savior and what he did for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment